www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:42 am 
Tadpole

I have a FW trailer that I have used for four seasons and the trailer needs to be replaced because of rust and corrosion. I have owned several trailers and this is the first time that I have had to replace the entire trailer before the boat. :x The boat is in great shape and the fit and finish held up very well but, the trailer started to rust after the first season - regardless of how well I took care of it. Paint over steel does not seem to be a good idea for trailer application and I hope that FW in the future will supply galvanized or aluminum trailers. I caution others to not purchase a FW painted trailer or you will need to spend parts of your summers taking care of rust spots and even then the trailer will fall apart on you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:48 am 
email admin your custom rank

What year is your trailer? Do you use it in fresh or salt water? What is falling apart on it?

Pics?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 am 
Tadpole

Trailer is 2004. Used in both salt(always washed down after salt water use) and fresh water. The biggest issue is that both wheel wells are badly coroded and the carpeted protective panels have fallen off this season. This makes the trailer difficult to use because the hull can come in contact with the metal when loading. I have no way to bolt the panels back on because of rust. Additionally the frame, leaf springs, rims, light attachments, swing arm, bolts, bunker attachments all have rust issues from minor to severe. I will post pictures. I am dissapointed that I have to spend $1700-$2000 dollars to purchase a new trailer after five years. This is in addition to the parts I have have had to replace along the way. If Four Winns can build such good boats why can't they go the extra mile on their trailers?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 am 

Four Winns does offer galvanized trailers...you just have to order it that way. I always order the galvanized trailer because I am in salt some of the time. My trailers have held up great. If you trailer to salt water, I dont know why you would not get a galvanized trailer...it saves headaches.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:12 am 
Nauti Luv

Not sure where you are located (although doesnt really matter)...but I am good friends with the people at Roadrunner trailer in Lewisville Texas. They build/supply a LOT of dealers and OEM's (Regal, Crownline etc...) around here and can of course custom build trailers as well. Give them a call and ask for Kent (my friend and he is the Sales Manager) or Bill (the owner).

For what its worth - I am on my second season of my painted Four Winns trailer and I have no complaints so far. We use the boat (in freshwater only) basically every weekend from April to October and other than a couple rock chips exposing the metal under the paint...have no problems with the trailer structure. I have had to replace the carpet on my bunks simply because the ramp we use 95% of the time cause my boat to load rougher than we would like due to the angle, but I cant really blame Four Winns for that. I even had Roadrunner re-do my bunks at the start of this season and they are starting to look like they did before...the carpet just wears thin. It would probably help if I sunk the trailer a little more when loading, but thats about the only way to overcome the problem.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am 
Shark

I'll second that endorsement of Roadrunner trailers. When I bought my 04 Vista last month up in Lewisville it came with an 08 Roadrunner trailer. The trailer looks to be very well made with disc brakes on both axles and bunks that conform to the hull. It even has Four Winns painted on the tongue with the proper font, although it lacks the wavy logo. I suppose that would be a trademark infringement.

Previous Boat:
97 278 Vista - Buoy Howdy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:45 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for the Roadrunner suggestions but I am up in Massachusetts. I will buy an aluminum trailer this time around and the dealer I bought the boat from is trying to find the best price on one for me. He is also suprised that the trailer did not hold up a little better and the reason he is going out of his way to try to get me a good price on a new trailer. I did not have a choice when it came to the trailer because the boat and trailer came as a package. I just assumed that Four Winns would supply their boats with a trailer that could be used(with confidence) in a salt water application as well as fresh water. If I had known I would of insisted on a galvenized trailer. Nonetheless, I feel that the trailer rusted out before its time even though it was always washed down after each use. I wanted to post and warn others about what may come down the road if the trailer is not well taken care of. I would suggest that any sign of rust on the painted trailers is taken care of quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:58 pm 
Shark

My FW's trailer is a POS!!! No rust so far, although, it rattles like crazy, brake lines are barely attached, tires blew apart, brake coupler leak like a sieve...yadda, yadda, yadda... Love my FW's boat though!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:59 pm 
230 Mike

mdr wrote:
The biggest issue is that both wheel wells are badly coroded and the carpeted protective panels have fallen off this season.

Believe me, I'm not here to defend FW trailers, but do realize you can replace the fenders and fender liners for a whole lot less than the cost of a trailer.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 pm 

I have a galvanized FW trailer. Came with the boat, but is the original trailer (have all the original purchase docs) and though it is ugly and the brakes do not work, it seems pretty solid. No noises and all in tact. I will say that the carpeted bunks are in decent shape, but I will probably replace just to be safe and all their hardware is rusted pretty good as are the leaf springs, calipers, hubs, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 am 

I been telling ya'll for years these trailers suck balls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:01 am 

A couple of people must have gotten "lemons". My trailer is 8 yrs old has all the original tires, bunks, carpeting and brake system. It works great and I would not hesitate to tow my boat anywhere on top of it ! I have done no maintenance yet on the trailer and am not sure about the previous owner. Sure there are cosmetic issues but structurally it is sound. I think people should take trailers as what they are -- a "tool" to get your boat from A to B. I keep a spare bearing, tire and the necessary tools to fix the trailer roadside when taking a longer trip. Being prepared seems to have kept the problems away!

I suspect you have severe rust because you are dunking in salt water and the water is getting inside the tube and that is nearly impossible to flush out completely.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 am 
Whatever

mdr wrote:
I just assumed that Four Winns would supply their boats with a trailer that could be used(with confidence) in a salt water application as well as fresh water. If I had known I would of insisted on a galvenized trailer. Nonetheless, I feel that the trailer rusted out before its time even though it was always washed down after each use. I wanted to post and warn others about what may come down the road if the trailer is not well taken care of. I would suggest that any sign of rust on the painted trailers is taken care of quickly.

1st) When you assume, you just make an ass out of your self, get educated with all your purchases. You are the only one to blame on not knowing about what type of trailer is to be used in salt water.

2nd) a little rust does not mean the structural integrity is compromised, how much rust is under your truck/car?

I am on our 2nd FW boat and trailer, both have been fine trailers. Yes there are 'better' trailers and they cost more. You dont have to buy a FW with a trailer, they are always an option, but if the dealer ordered the boat with the option then........

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am 

The bottom line is that anyone who uses their boat in salt or brackish water has to have either a galvanized or aluminum trailer...even in freshwater I would not want a painted trailer...too much maintenance and a boat (esp since just about all FWs are I/Os) is enough maintenance all by itself....I have a 15 year old galvanized Load Rite that I re-did a few years ago...the galvanized areas are still free of rust...I replaced all the rusted ubolts...added rollers..longer roller arms...replaced the axle...added brakes...it's like a new trailer...the only original part is the frame itself...(I even replaced the tongue with a much longer one so that my Jeeps rear wheels don't have to go in salt water)...
Some advice I can give on corrosion control...frequent sprayings of Corrosion X HD will keep leaf springs and ubolts from rusting....my springs are on their 5th season and they have no rust on them....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 am 
268 Vista

I do not have a trailer for our boat, so I have no direct experience with FW trailers, that being said, let me ask this.

Do we know for sure that FW actually makes and assembles the trailers in their Cadillac plant?
Or are the trailers outsourced to a trailer manufacturer? There are several of said manufacturers in the state, and very close to the plant.

Maybe the person that may have actually taken a tour of the plant earlier this year, can verify that he saw FW trailers being manufactured at the FW plant in Cadillac. A picture of the trailer assembly area would surely verify this, and I can't imagine FW would be "Hush, Hush" about their trailer technology.

Just a thought. 8)

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy