www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 am 
Nauti Luv

I am 90% sure they make their trailers.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

They make them. 100% sure. They started making them in 2005.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm 
Tadpole

powellcrazy, true I made a wrong assumption and should have done more research but if a trailer is supplied with a boat then the company must understand that it may be used to launch the boat in salt water as well as fresh. If the painted trailers and salt water are a bad combination then Four Winns should issue a warning to the consumers that these(painted trailers) are not to be used anywhere near salt water. I'm sure FW knows that some of their boats will be used in the ocean. My trailer has a lot of rust for the age of the trailer considering how carefull I was to wash the salt water off after each use.

I live in the northeast and drive cars on roads treated with salt yet the painted parts on my cars do not rust out after five years if I wash and take care to remove the salt as soon as possible. Either my trailer is a lemon and I just had bad luck with the rust or Four Winns did not treat the metal and produced a product that should never touch salt water or water in general. I will post some pictures to show the level of rust throughout the trailer. There is rust on the front part of the trailer which never touched salt water. I am not down on FW because I love my boat and it has been a dream to use however the trailer is a lemon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 pm 

FW trailers are not top notch it come to finishes. :roll: I did not like many of hardware on my trailer as well so I have change much of hardware to SS comportment. :evil: As far as rust goes FW is not only trailer will have issue on salt water…. I would not think about getting any painted/steel boat trailer to salt even with only one time use…. You would never be able to rinse it out good water will get tapped inside of tube and travel up to the front section where you thought it did not hit in salt.
I have a friend who lives in North Andover Mass who typically boat in NH lakes with his 2006 Cobalt 246 and steel/painted trailer. He had used his boat in ocean only 5 times but his trailer is rusting out after a few years……. I would get a galvanized or aluminum trailer if you want flexibility. The last 2 trailer I own has been steel/painted trailer but I am committed to use for fresh water only. The most of sport boaters only use in fresh water and they do not want to spend extra money for galvanized trailer. I feel it is the dealer’s issue since they did not ask you for intention of your boat and recommend to right product. When I order my current boat the dealer (Winnisquam Marine) did asked me where I am going to use my boat and recommend not get a painted trailer if I would use it in salt.

I would never compare boat/trailer industry to automobile industry since automobile industry produce 100 times more product than boat industry (FW produce less than 6000 boats a year) so they are not apple to apple for any manufacturing process.

Well let`s hope their quality would mach with the boat in future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:25 pm 

aguyindallas wrote:
I am 90% sure they make their trailers.

I am 100% confident that Four Winns makes their trailers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 pm 
230 Mike

For a short time, before the mailing list became this forum, there was a guy participating who claimed to work in the FW trailer shop. Wish he was still here.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 pm 

Aluminum/SS will corrode too if not properly taken cafe of .FW claims they make their own trailers to match/fit the hulls. I've had mine going onto 2 yrs, fresh water only.So far no complaints.Do routine maintenance & look it over after I launch. My question being this is my 2nd boat in 3 yrs, when it come time to redo the bunks how do you do it?? My boat sits in driveway in season & in barn off season, 45 min to lake I boat in.

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]
Life Long Boston Bruin Fan 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:17 pm 

KSJ08 wrote:
when it come time to redo the bunks how do you do it??

Real easy. Pick a not so busy weekday, and get some stainless steel staples, your staple gun, indoor/outdoor carpet, and a pair of pliers/flathead screwdriver (use those to remove the old staples).

Launch your boat, tie it up to the courtesy dock (here's were slow weekday comes into play), and take care of it in a parking spot. I did it back when I had my Sea Ray, but that only had two bunks. Didn't take much time at all, and no worrying about the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 pm 
230 Mike

KSJ08 wrote:
...when it come time to redo the bunks how do you do it?? ...

I'm considering having my bunks all replaced this fall, extending all of them an inch further back and the outboard ones forward to the next frame member on the trailer. They quoted an hour of labor to lift the boat off the trailer (with spreaders) so the work could be done.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:30 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
KSJ08 wrote:
...when it come time to redo the bunks how do you do it?? ...

I'm considering having my bunks all replaced this fall, extending all of them an inch further back and the outboard ones forward to the next frame member on the trailer. They quoted an hour of labor to lift the boat off the trailer (with spreaders) so the work could be done.

I'm planning on changing mine myself. I plan to add another inch off the back and maybe acouple in the front. I'm going to pre-fab them, drop the boat in the water and change them in the parking lot. Shouldn't be a big deal. Probably first launch of the spring.

Are the 2x4's plain old pressure treated wood from a building supply or are they some sort of special treated wood?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 pm 
Guppy

I have a 2000 galvanized trailer- the frame is ok but I'm rebuilding the rest piece by piece. The brake actuator is next and I'm afraid once I bleed brakes I'll need calipers, discs and bearings...

To the gent with eight years on the tires- you're pressing your luck. They might have all the tread but they're a ticking timebomb. How do I know? Both my eight year old, brand new looking tires blew within 15 miles of each other on our first trip to the ocean. Long night..

FWIW, my trailer manual says no salt water for painted trailers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm 
Whatever

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Do we know for sure that FW actually makes and assembles the trailers in their Cadillac plant?
Or are the trailers outsourced to a trailer manufacturer? There are several of said manufacturers in the state, and very close to the plant.

FW assembles parts they purchased to the frame they built, paint it and put FW logo on it.

They dont manufacturer the entire trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:47 am 

Donovan wrote:
I have a 2000 galvanized trailer- the frame is ok but I'm rebuilding the rest piece by piece. The brake actuator is next and I'm afraid once I bleed brakes I'll need calipers, discs and bearings...

To the gent with eight years on the tires- you're pressing your luck. They might have all the tread but they're a ticking timebomb. How do I know? Both my eight year old, brand new looking tires blew within 15 miles of each other on our first trip to the ocean. Long night..

FWIW, my trailer manual says no salt water for painted trailers.

There was a news special about tires that are 7yrs old & older. They start to separate internally. There was a man form Newtown, Pa that had purchased 4 "new" tires & his son & a friend were taking the vehicle to cdn on a trip, tires blew, both were killed. From what I got The UK has a big no no on selling tires older then 7 yrs. There's a code on the side wall that tells when the tires were mfg. The news story went to several name brand retailers 7 found 7+ yr ol tires for sale.

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:49 am 

firecadet613 wrote:
KSJ08 wrote:
when it come time to redo the bunks how do you do it??

Real easy. Pick a not so busy weekday, and get some stainless steel staples, your staple gun, indoor/outdoor carpet, and a pair of pliers/flathead screwdriver (use those to remove the old staples).

Launch your boat, tie it up to the courtesy dock (here's were slow weekday comes into play), and take care of it in a parking spot. I did it back when I had my Sea Ray, but that only had two bunks. Didn't take much time at all, and no worrying about the boat.

That's I was thinking of doing when the time comes, then again IF things work out i.e. still have a job!?! By the time they need replacement I hope to be moving up to the H220!!! Hey a guy can dream eh?!?!?!?!?

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:01 pm 

KSJ08 wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
By the time they need replacement I hope to be moving up to the H220!!! Hey a guy can dream eh?!?!?!?!?

Don't dream! I went from a '97 Sea Doo XP, to a '01 Sea Ray 185, to a '04 225 Sundowner, to a '04 268 Vista in 5 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next