www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

SeaBoo wrote:
I use the clips (actually a homemade set from pvc pipe cut in 1/2) lower the drive on them (lightly) and then I also use a ratchet strap wrapped around the drive and hooked to the ski eye (just as a backup safety, I tend to believe in a backup on any "safety" device).

Same here, except I use 3/4 to keep away from the seals.

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 am 

walke464 wrote:
I just got my 258 Vista...where is the Trailer Trim up button??? Or do you just trip up as much as you can?

There isn't a trailer button persay. Trim it all the way up. You will hear a noticable difference when the drive is full up or in the trailering position.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:02 pm 

SeaBoo wrote:
I use the clips (actually a homemade set from pvc pipe cut in 1/2) lower the drive on them (lightly) and then I also use a ratchet strap wrapped around the drive and hooked to the ski eye (just as a backup safety, I tend to believe in a backup on any "safety" device).

Same here. Used a dremel to slot some 3/4 PVC. Cheap and, IMO, better than the store-boughts.

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 pm 
Goldfish

The trim cylinders and pump are designed to take the full thrust of the engine at WOT and then some. Supporting just the weight of the drive is almost insignificant, IMO.
That being said, if you're really concerned about the drive dropping down, then the clips will offer some piece of mind. In the event of pressure loss, I would wonder if the plastic could truly support the weight though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 pm 

I'm pretty sure they will. My old boat - the oil in the trim pump would leak by the seals so if you raised the drive, it would slowly drift down and be in the lowered position (while on the trailer) after about a day. With the clips on, the drive always stayed raised.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 am 
Goldfish

This would be true but the root cause is that the cylinders are leaking in that case. The clips are a bandaid that do address trailering, which is what this thread is about, but what about when you're cruising? I would repair the issue. I guess since the clips are cheap enough, I would raise the drive for trailering, and pop the clips on. Whenever I remove the clips I would see first hand if the drive had slipped at all. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 pm 

I have towed 1000's of miles, across the US a couple of times, and from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada. All with boats with an IO---- I use the plastic/or wood pieces on the rams for very long tows, but never use them for the typical 20-30 miles to a boat ramp. I always lower the drive when the boat sits on the trailer at the house. I have never had a trim cylinder leak issue. Last year I towed 14 hours each way on my Volvo outdirve and used the clips. They were loose when I started and loose when I got there. The trim cylinders had not moved in 14 hours of nonstop towing.