www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 pm 
230 Mike

Since we store the boat in an enclosed storage unit I invested in an air compressor to keep with the boat. It's great to be able to inflate trailer tires completely before every tow without hauling an air tank around. But since I already had the compressor, I also bought a pneumatic bottle jack. I can put that under the end of an axle, squeeze a valve for a few moments, and that tire is off the ground - walla. :mrgreen:

I also have 4 jack stands that I use. I covered the tops of the stands and the top of the bottle jack with several thick layers of Plasti-Dip so they won't tear up the paint on the trailer. Works great.

As far as rolling the wheel while pumping in grease - as long as the bearings were packed properly when they were installed and you're only topping off the hub, rolling the wheel isn't as important as you might be making it out to be. Good practice, sure - but you didn't hurt anything by not doing so.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
I covered the tops of the stands and the top of the bottle jack with several thick layers of Plasti-Dip so they won't tear up the paint on the trailer.

Great idea. Not only does it protect, but it's probably safer as well assuming the Plasti-Dip doesn't gel in high temps. I used to work for a house mover while I was in college. Not furniture movers, we moved whole houses. Also, no it wasn't the guy in Iowa who had a TV show a year or two ago. Anyway, the first two rules learned on day 1 is:

1) Never get under anything that is solely supported by a crane, hoist, jack or any other mechanical device. Mechanical devices can and do fail, and you don't want to be under anything when that happens.
2) Metal on metal is slippery and can slide. It doesn't take much to add enough friction to limit the potential of a metal surface from falling off the jack. I simple piece of 1/4" plywood will help a bunch. I always keep a small piece of plywood in my truck toolbox just for this type of purpose. Also, the paint on the trailer will help some, but as you eluded to, it will eventually where off if you jack on the same spot each time.

I know the risk is even more so limited on a tandem trailer with the wheels blocked and/or hooked up to tow vehicle with parking brake on. Still, those two rules stick with me and I refer back to them everytime I raise anything up with a jack or hoist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:09 am 

Harbor Freight and a bunch of other sources:

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:06 am 
230 Mike

M3eater wrote:

Cheater :mrgreen:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:14 am 

I'm just running short on rags ... can't waste 'em on jack stands.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner