www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:11 pm 
Guppy

Hi guys,
Buying a very clean, used 1999 Horizon 200 this Thursday(Can't wait!). I have a 4runner with a class 3 hitch(towing package), rated at 5,000 pounds. I am in the market for a larger truck/SUV, but for now, I am hoping the 4runner will suffice. The lake is only 7 miles away. Am I going to have any issues? The 4runner is not 4-wheel drive, and I am hoping that it has enough umph to pull the boat out of the water(moderately sloped ramp). Does anyone pull with a 4runner? Thanks!
-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
email admin your custom rank

For that short of a tow it should be fine.. as long as the Four Runner has a V-6 and not the 4 cyl.....I towed our 88 Horizon 200 for years with my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Six...it's not optimal for highway driving but short tows lower speeds it should be fine. The only issue might be lack of 4x4 on the ramp...if it's a good ramp and not slimey it may be fine...if its a bad one sandy and slimey it could be a little challenge...
To this I'd add make sure the trailer brakes work well...a tow vehicle that size will get pushed through stop signs towing a boat that size and weight if the trailer brakes don't work.

Now my 07 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi tows the same boat like it's not there....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:28 pm 
Guppy

Yea, I can't wait to get a bigger vehicle. We have been looking, just haven't been able to find the perfect vehicle(I am picky when it comes to high dollar used items). Yes, the 4runner has a V6, and the trailer is a tandem axle w/brakes. I might take take a little longer trip to a ramp that isn't as steep. Hopefully, I won't have to use the 4runner very many times, but it is still concerning, as I am anxious to get it out on the lake next weekend!