www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 am 
Shark

My Goodyear dealer is pushing a new brand of trailer radial called "Mastertrack". He claims they are good, and they are about 110 bucks cheaper for 4 of them than Marathons.

Anyone know anything about these or have any experience with them? I'm probably going to go with the Marathon, but if someone says something good about these, then I might give them a whirl.

They are probably a cheap Chinese tire, but then again, so is the Marathon these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Dan, I went with the off brand my Goodyear dealer could get. I don't remember the brand name off hand, but I don't think those were them. I did get load range E though, which I'm sure is higher than you'll need.

I've had them almost a year and no issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:37 am 
Shark

firecadet613 wrote:
Dan, I went with the off brand my Goodyear dealer could get. I don't remember the brand name off hand, but I don't think those were them. I did get load range E though, which I'm sure is higher than you'll need.

I've had them almost a year and no issues.

I went ahead and ordered Goodyear Marathons. I did some research on the Mastertracks and wow, they had more blowouts than Big Lots!

I think the key, as everyone says, is to keep the pressure at the max, stay at or under 65mph, and don't turn too tight too often, causing stress to the sidewalls. I also think I'll replace them every 5 years. Goodyear put out a tech bulletin that said you can exceed the 50 lb. max cold pressure rating by up to 10 pounds, if you want to go 70mph. I might do that, but still stay at 65. I will rarely go far enough where I'll feel the need to go faster. Besides, on the long trips, I'll have a 15 passenger van full of kids pulling it, so I'm not sure it will want to work harder like that. I'm betting the increased pressure will keep heat down in the tire.

After I bought the Goodyears, I saw that Maxxis is now making a trailer radial. I would have considered those, if I could find them. I had some of their radials on an ATV and they were well made and performed extremely well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 am 
email admin your custom rank

I forgot about speed when I posted previously. I don't exceed 65 mph. In most states 65 mph is the limit when pulling a trailer, though it doesn't seem to be inforced. I've had guys blow by me pulling their boats 75+ mph, but I wouldn't do it. Too much can go wrong too quickly at that speed. Trailer tires weren't designed for that kind of prolonged speed anyway.