www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tire rotation?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:05 pm 
Sting Ray

My front tires on the trailer seem to be cupping or something. Is that from the sharp turn I have to make each time I pull out or back in the driveway? I trailer the boat 2 miles to the marina so I don't inspect as often as I should. This weekend we took the boat to another lake approximately 200 miles away. I got me to wondering if you should rotate tires ( 4 ) on your trailer? I welcome everyones opinion. Thanks, Dennis 220 Horizon

Post subject: Re: Tire rotation?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:42 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I rotate the tires each spring (5). I do inspect for abnormal wear. Unless I understand incorrectly, cupping sounds more like over-inflation than from turning. However, over such a short distance, I wouldn't expect any notable wear from driving. I turn a hard 90 every time she gets parked as well, and don't have any abnormal tire wear, nor black marks on the driveway.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:20 pm 
230 Mike

Cupping could be from axle misalignment or tires out of balance. If it's both front tires, it could be that the axle is either misaligned or bent. Sharp turns shouldn't cup your tires at all. Are they cupped to the point where it's visible, or are you going by noise? If it's visible, a pic might help.

I haven't rotated since the tires were bought 5 years ago, and I haven't detected any issues or abnormal wear yet with several thousand miles on them.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:35 pm 
Dolphin

I would have to agree with Mike that the cause is probably misalignment. That happened to me and a quick trip to the tire store resulted in them telling me that my trailer axle needed alignment. Although the tire guy said it should not affect the tire performance, given the amount of negitive feed back on the Carlisle tires I replaced it. I then went to an alignment shop and haven't had any more issues. You should note that it took a number of calls to find a shop that did trailers.