www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tires and other issues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well last weekend I had one Carlisle de-tread and bend up the fender while going 65 on I65. Fortunately it was on the right, and the tube didnt burst, so getting off to the side and changing was relatively straightforward (although I discovered that one of the lug nuts was a different size, and had to locate my Durango's lug wrench to fit it). I went on the rest of the way w/o difficulty to Nolin lake and had a nice weekend. As there were no close tire outfitters where I was that were available on Sunday, I decided erroneously to head back sunday afternoon without a spare. Whammo, another of the Carlisles blew out, this time on a small county road. #%*&! I said. A samaritan helped me with a phone call(no cell service on my Iphone there) to the WalMart in Leitchfield and let me park in his roadside parking lot, helped me take off the flat tire and disconnect from the trailer. I then drove the 12 miles to Walmart, got 2 new $143 Towmasters which were the only brand they had in my size, and went back, put them on and went home. So far, in 1.2 seasons with this boat&trailer I have had 3 lost Carlisle's (the originals on the trailer)while towing and 1 Carlisle (original) that I replaced because it was obviously separated/warped. These Towmasters are only load range D (E recommended on mine). How much of an issue is this? I have one Maxxis St225/75R15 load E which I really like and wish I had 5.

Also, the flying tread that bent my wheel well/fender upward caused the inner carpeted plywood protector to come loose from its screws, which was only a problem when it floated up while in the water putting the boat on. So now Ive got that to fix or replace.

Damn, these boats are fun but the maintenance and repairs truly never cease!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:54 pm 
230 Mike

I found out the hard way that no matter how prepared you think you are for a roadside "event," it's amazing how unprepared you are until you've been through it once.

I've also said that with this boat, for every minute I've spent working on the boat, I've spent at least an hour working on the trailer.

My carpeted fender liners were only held on with cheap steel screws (and not enough of them). By the end of the 2nd season at least two screws had broken off from rust. I replaced them all with stainless screws and haven't had any trouble since. The fender will be a bigger job of course, and I'm not sure it can be replaced while the boat is on the trailer.

I would definitely not want D rated tires on that trailer (sorry to say that!).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:17 pm 

The bent fender is cosmetic only (and really not too badly misshapen) with the exception of the screw holes for the fender liner being a little off. I think I will cut out a new plywood liner, and carpet it and drill holes in it to match the fender. I may still be able to use the current liner if I can find the right diameter washer to go over the pulled thru screw holes.

The load range D tires are supposed to have a capacity of something like 2300 lbs. Am I wrong in thinking that is ok? The weight of the trailer and loaded boat is about 6000-6500 lbs. 4X2300 is 9200lbs. Actually 2 of the tires are E's which changes the total to about 10200lbs. How is that not enough? Or does that part not tell the whole story?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:24 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Xavid wrote:
The load range D tires are supposed to have a capacity of something like 2300 lbs.

I'm not certain either, but I always assumed that was "per-axle", and not neccesarily "per tire".

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 pm 
230 Mike

A quick search says it's per tire, not per axle (only based on one source though). And based on that, your numbers would indicate that you're fine with load range D's. I base my comment in part on the fact that if anything bad happens on the highway I don't want someone's lawyer having the ability to claim I was negligent in some way - which they could do if the trailer mfr. (FW) specified a higher load range tire.

Aside from all that, have you weighed your boat on a scale? Mine's exactly 6,500 with full tanks, and it's 2 feet shorter than yours.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 pm 
french 829

Same thing happened to me on Memorial Day weekend. Replaced all four Carlisle's (aka POS's) with 4 Goodyear Marathons. Mine was on the drivers side and quite the experience to change with all the traffic wizzing by. I tow rarely--so this gave me my fill for towing for the next few years. She is back in the garage at Norris (with four new tires) and I will enjoy the short 5-10 minute drive to the ramp.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 pm 

Hmmmm... seems that 6 years is about the life of the Carlisles... might have to look at mine at the end of next season :shock:

Probably something for all those with 2005 boats out there to think about this season before the big tow.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:55 pm 
230 Mike

This 2005 boat yanked those $#!$#@$ things off before the end of the first season. My local Good Year gave me a good trade-in price on them for a new set of Marathons. Unfortunately, those are now 5 years old, Marathon production has been moved to China, and I'm undecided about what to replace them with (next year).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 pm 

I'm fixing to give my E rated-Gladiators the true test on very hot southern pavement in less than 30 hours........339.74 miles, one way. I'm a little sketched-out about it............

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 am 

Hey Mike - just about all tire manufacture is moving to Asia these days as they have fairly 'liberal' laws regarding work conditions and pollution. Even Bridgestones aren't made in Japan anymore - they're made in Thailand.

I think none of us really have much choice these days when it comes to tires... in a few years this will relate to most things we buy that have a high labor component such as appliances, automobiles, maybe even boats!

I could just see myself buying a DongFeng H190.... :lol:

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 am 
french 829

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
Hmmmm... seems that 6 years is about the life of the Carlisles... might have to look at mine at the end of next season. :shock:

Now that I have had a problem--6 years is probably way beyond the life of the Carlisles. If you do any towing (especially in hot weather), I would get them changed out. I tried to do 2 this year and was going to do the other 2 next year and it obviously didn't work out for me.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:24 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
A quick search says it's per tire, not per axle (only based on one source though). And based on that, your numbers would indicate that you're fine with load range D's. I base my comment in part on the fact that if anything bad happens on the highway I don't want someone's lawyer having the ability to claim I was negligent in some way - which they could do if the trailer mfr. (FW) specified a higher load range tire.

Aside from all that, have you weighed your boat on a scale? Mine's exactly 6,500 with full tanks, and it's 2 feet shorter than yours.

I see your point about the load range.

I weighed it on a truck scale last year with 1/4 tank gas and no water but with coolers, jackets, towels, skis, (regular load) and it was 6100. I usually dont trailer long distances with full of fuel - just put in 30 gallons or so near the lake. And I dont use the fresh water system.

Last edited by Xavid on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:26 pm 

french829 wrote:
Same thing happened to me on Memorial Day weekend. Replaced all four Carlisle's (aka POS's) with 4 Goodyear Marathons. Mine was on the drivers side and quite the experience to change with all the traffic wizzing by. I tow rarely--so this gave me my fill for towing for the next few years. She is back in the garage at Norris (with four new tires) and I will enjoy the short 5-10 minute drive to the ramp.

I love Norris Lake - almost as much as Cumberland - will be trailering the 4 hours to Caryvillle on Labor Day. Maybe I'll have 4 all new Load E Maxxis or Marathons for that trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:22 pm 
230 Mike

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
Hey Mike - just about all tire manufacture is moving to Asia these days...

Yeah I know... that's why I'm having a hard time deciding which tires to go with. I'd be reasonably happy with a tire from Korea, but not China.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 pm 

Go with load range E.