www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

On mine, the brake lines are attached to the axles with large 1/4" wide cable ties. Have worked perfectly for the last 5+ years!

The vehicle registration department wouldn't register the trailer with the double sided tape idea as the brake lines were not deemed to be 'secured'. Seems they were correct on this occasion! :lol:

Same with the tail lights - we must have seperate orange turn signals, so lights were replaced by FW dealer with LEDS at the time of purchase. It was good, they didn't skimp and installed good quality units that have been faultless. Beats the pants off constantly changing globes!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 am 

While I do not have tandem axle.... I think I had a faulty carlisle tire on mine as well. I had a bad wear pattern on the outer side of the starboard tire... I swapped it with the spare and have not noticed the same wear pattern again... though it has only been a year... there was no bouncing or visible bad rolling with the old tire... I even jacked it up and checked for bad bearings... I think I just got a bad one... time will tell... my bad tire is now my spare... since I have an '07 I will eventually replace these 3 tires in a year or two anyhow...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:44 pm 
Dolphin

I have a 2006 single axle trailer designed to carry a H190. Due to my location, I have to tow my boat anywhere from a half hour to two hours and once a year, almost four. After two full years, my port side tire showed some extreme wear so I took it into my local tire dealer. He indicated that although the tread looked bad, he felt that there was no increased risk of failure and advised against buying a replacement (I do have a spare). However, he said that my axle was out of alignment.

I called my dealer and local trailer shops but all of them indicated they don't align boat trailers. One even questioned that it was possible. I finally got hold of an auto alignment shop that said they've seen the problem before and have done such work. It cost me $42.00 but since that time, no more wear problems with my tires. He indicated that doubles are more likely to have problems but that singles can as well. He felt that FW probably doesn't have a very sophicated mounting process, leading to premature tire wear...

Who knows, but maybe he's right. I'm believing it right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:45 am 

Was it a local auto place or a chain shop? Recall what they did?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 am 
Shark

I have spoke to enough people to know that it is common but not enough to find an expert in my area. A frame straightening shop may be my best option short of insurance claim or big $$$ out of pocket. Once I find a shop that does good work I'll get it done. I'd hate to be stuck on the highway with my family due to a problem I was aware of.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:31 pm 
Dolphin

I had it done by a local shop that's been in business forever. All they do are alignments so they have lots of experience. The franchise type shops that I called in my area didn't have a clue. If you have abnormal tire wear I'd start by going to a reputable tire store and get their opinion. If it doesn't appear to be a defect, I'd start calling around to see of you can find someone with experience working on trailers.

As far as I'm concerned, it fixed my problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:04 pm 
Shark

Wanted to provide and update ref this thread...

Took several pictures and measured the axels on both sides. Right side hubs were closer together than the left side. I took it to a tire shop in Bullhead City, AZ who services boat trailers. Apparently, the right side rear hanger was welded 3/4" off square causing consideral wear to 2 of the 4 tires. Owner said he sees a handful of trailers every summer with the dame issue.

I think Four Winns owes me the cost of the repair and a set of tires. What ya Think?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm 
Shark

I agree. One other issue to consider is taking sharper turns will torque tat inside front trailer tire...causing a scraping wear.