www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My trailer "clunks"!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 pm 
Dolphin

I'm the original owner of a 2006 190 Horizon that I've been pretty pleased with. However, recently my single axle trailer has begun to "clunk" when I start, stop or slow down, forward or backward. I'm not sure, but I believe it only does it when the boat is on it. It almost sounds like I'm using the wrong size ball but that is not the case. I suspect it has something to do with the surge brakes as my wife has indicated that the tongue "moves" back and forth but I think it's supposed to do that. I've inspected it visually and it appears that all is in order and it exhibits no other noticable symptoms.

I really don't want to take it into the dealer unless this is a serious problem as it will probably be a couple of weeks before they can look at it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: My trailer "clunks"!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yes, the tongue should move in and out.

Two possible points (there may be others):

1) Do you regularly grease the slide/roller for the sliding part of the ball mount? If I do not grease mine regularly, it tends to stick and "clunks" when it finally moves. Of course, my rig is 10,000 lbs, but still ....

2) Have you checked to see if the brakes actually work? Disconnect the reverse lock-out solenoid (do you know what this is?) and reverse the rig. The brakes should go on and stop the trailer from being able to move in reverse. If this does not work, you may be out of fluid (due to leakage) or the master cylinder may be shot. In this case, the clunking would be due to no resistance to the ball mount moving in & out ..... and you have no brakes.

Let us know what you find.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 pm 
230 Mike

Yep. Low/no fluid, for whatever reason (leak).

Just padding my post count.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 pm 
I fix stuff

I am afraid that I have that issue as well. Dammit.

2001 CBR1100XX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 pm 

Mine has always clunked a little bit from day 1- especially when taking off from the lights - so some must be normal.

I agree with Mike - more clunk than normal means the master cylinder is empty of brake fluid.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 pm 
230 Mike

Well, OK, seriously. A small amount of clunk IS normal. You could also have a hitch problem, not a trailer problem (worn hole in your hitch or drawbar, a worn drawbar pin, etc.). But its probably a trailer problem - either low/no fluid, fluid is dirty/full of water, or system needs bled. If the clunk feels like it has some "cushion" in it, that's normal. If it feels like metal on metal, you have a problem. Like Gordon said, step 1 is to figure out whether or not your brakes are even working.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 am 

I have had my brakes stick, which were out the pads. It was also causing a clunk.

I always hated than normal clunk. I am towing over 8,000 lbs, so I went with this and it has worked well for me. http://www.schuckhitches.com/

Smooth start & stops now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 am 

As noted by The Post Whore (Mike) and others ......

Some minor clunk is normal, as I'm sure you know, but you noted a very distinct change (being aware of what's going on is a GOOD thing), so there is likely an issue. Once you check the things that have been noted, you'll have a better idea.

If the fluid is gone (no flud in the reservoir), look at the master cylinder area and the brake assemblies to see if there is any obvious evidence of fluid leakage. Then, check the lines. If no obvious fluid dumps, fill the reservoir and bleed the brakes .... just as you would on a car. You can either pump the emergency lever (the lever that has the emergency chain or cable on it) or use a vacuum bleeder/pump at each wheel cylinder. Once it's all bled, test the operation by doing the reverse test (with the lock-out solenoid unplugged) as I noted in the first reply. If the brakes work well (you can not push the trailer in reverse), the system is working properly. Put the truck in PARK and/or emergency brake, while you have the rearward pressure on the trailer, chock the rear of the trailer tires, and go around the braking system looking for leakage.

If you do not see any leaks, your fluid loss is certainly minor and you can tow. Just keep an eye on the reservoir fluid ... and the reat of the system, for potential issues.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am 

Paul I. wrote:
I have had my brakes stick, which were out the pads. It was also causing a clunk.

I always hated than normal clunk. I am towing over 8,000 lbs, so I went with this and it has worked well for me. http://www.schuckhitches.com/

Smooth start & stops now.

Paul, I also changed to a cushioned ball mount, due to my heavy start/stop load changes. I used the Convert-A-Ball style. Certainly feels better on starts and stops ... starting, especially.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:34 am 

How do you test trailer brakes?

My guess is unhook 5 pt wiring harness and attempt to back up an incline?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09 am 
230 Mike

M3eater wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09 am 

Yes, that's it, petty much.

Either unplug the main trailer electrical connector, or unplug the single wire going to the reverse lock-out solenoid. Then, back it up. Any reversing should apply the brakes. Reversing on an incline would apply them more agressively.

In the photo below, you can see the lock-out solenoid on the perpendicular cross brace ... almost directly below the lower bow roller. Location may be different on other trailers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am 

agree with all of the above, if this just started, I'd be looking for a fluid leak, it used to be common if you had drum brakes, that the actuator would clunk if they were out of adjustment, but discs (which you most likely have) are self adjusting.
My Tie Down model 66 is pretty smooth, I feel a bit of slack taking off, not much and just a bit stopping, but the brakes are adjusted right and there are no leaks.
There can also be a bit of slop in the receiver, the cushioned ball mounts help. I have a cushioned hitch pin, that works great...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 am 

M3eater wrote:

I've never heard the term "Post Whore" before. I laughed so hard now I have to clean part of my breakfast off my laptop screen. Thanks M3eater!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 am 

Glad I could be of service!