www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locking brakes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am 
Guppy

Need help on my 2003 four Winn trailer. Sometimes my brakes is locking up when going forward or reverse. After leaving it alone for 1 hour it starts working again. Thanks for the help guys

Post subject: Re: Locking brakes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 am 
230 Mike

Discs or drums? When were they last serviced?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 am 
Guppy

Sorry it's disc, not sure when was it last service. I just bought the boat last month. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:07 pm 
230 Mike

So they just lock up while you're going down the road? Trying to get a more complete picture of what's going on. What's the level and condition of the brake fluid in the trailer's master cylinder?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:14 pm 
Guppy

Mike, thanks for helping me on this . I just look at the brakes and the rotors are shot and pads are shot. I'm also having problem with the boat when I took it out yesterday and it's start making noise when I turn. I think my gimbal needs some grease or something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:30 pm 
Guppy

Mike, what kind of pads can I put on my trailer? Can I get them at napa? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:44 pm 
230 Mike

You can probably get them at NAPA, but without knowing what your boat model is I can't tell you anything specific. Your best bet is to start here, and look up the pad part number for your trailer:

http://www.fourwinns.net/partbook/index.php (note, at the moment the site doesn't seem to be responding.)

The pads for many of the FW trailers in that time frame are the same as for the 1990 Chevy Cavalier, but again, find out for sure what your trailer needs.

Why do you say your rotors are shot? It sounds like some basic service might be in order - new pads, have your rotors turned, repack or replace your bearings, flush & bleed your system.

On the boat making noise when you turn, that's more likely your U-joints needing lubed (or replaced). That may be an indication of inadequate maintenance.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have a similar brake problem. One side is binding. I think it is a sticking caliper. Since I am not near my boat I am forced to have a mechaniuc look at it. Waiting for the results/recommendation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 pm 

If you have the Tie Down (brand) trailer brakes, the pads are front 1990 Cavalier (as Mike noted). I just purchased some for our trailer at Advance Auto Parts. They would look like this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Brake-Pads---Front-Wearever-Gold_5520754-P_219_R%7CGRPBRCOAMS_1751658011___#

As for the locking up ...... I had one incident, recently, where the brakes stayed partially applied after a stop for gas. I didn't pick up on it right away, but the rig seemed to be laboring. I stopped at the next exit (maybe a mile overall) and the brakes were overheated and the bearing grease was spewing from being overheated, I determined that the hydraulics were not fully releasing ... no matter if I went forward or back ... and with the lock-out solenoid engaged or disconnected. I finally disconnected the brake line QD at the tongue (for the removable tounge section) and pushed in the valve to relieve the pressure to the calipers. After this, all was fine and it has not returned. I'm guessing that the lock-out solenoid was "stuck".

The pads are easy to replace. While this incident wore out the pads, the rotors were fine, so i did not replace them.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm 
Guppy

I took the brake apart and went to napa store and compare them with the cavalier pads and they are the same.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:53 pm 

[quote="M3eater"]If you have the Tie Down (brand) trailer brakes, the pads are front 1990 Cavalier (as Mike noted). I just purchased some for our trailer at Advance Auto Parts. They would look like this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Brake-Pads---Front-Wearever-Gold_5520754-P_219_R%7CGRPBRCOAMS_1751658011___#

As for the locking up ...... I had one incident, recently, where the brakes stayed partially applied after a stop for gas. I didn't pick up on it right away, but the rig seemed to be laboring. I stopped at the next exit (maybe a mile overall) and the brakes were overheated and the bearing grease was spewing from being overheated, I determined that the hydraulics were not fully releasing ... no matter if I went forward or back ... and with the lock-out solenoid engaged or disconnected. I finally disconnected the brake line QD at the tongue (for the removable tounge section) and pushed in the valve to relieve the pressure to the calipers. After this, all was fine and it has not returned. I'm guessing that the lock-out solenoid was "stuck".

I have had the same incident happen to me multiple times especially when I was trying to back the trailer into the driveway. I went to the autoparts store and they sold me a new coupler for the trailer hookup that gets connected to my truck which has a metal piece in the inside and a light up led display five lights on and I haven't had the problem ever again if I don't use that connection I have to do the whole disconnect and use a screwdriver to relieve the pressure to the calipers when I am backing up the trailer what a total pain why didn't it come with it when I purchased it new.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:09 am 

My issue turns out to be hydraulics. The pads and discs are like new. (This boat has likley been towed less than 200 miles in total since 2003). Is there a release somewhere short of disconnecting a line to relieve pressure?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:39 am 

You can have a seized piston in the brake caliper, one thing that you can do to check is to remove the caliper, compress the piston with a brake piston compressor or c-clamp, then reassemble and see if the wheel spins free when jacked up. If so that was the cause, and you will probably have to replace the calipers to cure the problem. Even though disc brakes are supposed to be less trouble than drums (and probably are) you can still get corrosion under the seal for the piston and the piston can lock up. I would take some synthetic caliper grease and smear it inbetween the piston and seal as much as you can to keep water out of there. I do this with my drum brake wheel cylinders (I put grease under the rubber dust boot to keep water out of piston area) and it helps them last longer.
You can also have trouble with the back up solenoid not working, but that will cause problems with backing up only.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:44 pm 

LouC wrote:
You can have a seized piston in the brake caliper, one thing that you can do to check is to remove the caliper, compress the piston with a brake piston compressor or c-clamp, then reassemble and see if the wheel spins free when jacked up. If so that was the cause, and you will probably have to replace the calipers to cure the problem. Even though disc brakes are supposed to be less trouble than drums (and probably are) you can still get corrosion under the seal for the piston and the piston can lock up. I would take some synthetic caliper grease and smear it inbetween the piston and seal as much as you can to keep water out of there. I do this with my drum brake wheel cylinders (I put grease under the rubber dust boot to keep water out of piston area) and it helps them last longer.
You can also have trouble with the back up solenoid not working, but that will cause problems with backing up only.

Thanks, I should have explained that when I disconeected a hydraulic line the brakes released. I think I have a solenoid acting up?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 pm 
230 Mike

You only have a single solenoid, and it only does one thing - when you put the tow vehicle in reverse, the solenoid is activated which prevents brake fluid pressure from reaching the calipers and activating the brakes so that the trailer can back up freely. If the solenoid failed "open" (which is how they always fail), your brakes would lock up while backing up. If it somehow was able to fail "closed," you'd have no brakes in either direction. Which is a long way of saying, I don't think it's your solenoid. :)

If your brakes were locking up only going in reverse, the solenoid would be the prime suspect. But if it's happening while going forward, it's almost certainly something else.

Do you have a trailer shop anywhere nearby?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic