www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hey Guys! I'm currently shopping for a trailer for our 268 and need some advice. We plan to winter store on it and make 5-6 trips a year..all freshwater. I got a quote on a Loadmaster painted steel trailer which from everything I've heard is supposed to be a great trailer. The price seems right, but it comes with 4 wheel electric drum brakes(which I assumed was a good thing). When I stopped at a local dealer today for some quotes he said to stay away from electric brakes due to electrical failure and to make sure I get surge brakes. Who's right here? I thought electric brakes with a brake controller would be the way to go?

Would I be better off just getting a factory FW trailer for about the same price? Any other advice or suggestions?Thanks!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:44 pm 

Because I am in a salt water area, I would only buy galvanized, even if I was in freshwater, one less thing to maintain. Brakes, I don't know if electric drums would last in freshwater, some say they will, but I have only used surge brakes. Electric control is more precise than surge brakes, but if it were me, I'd have a galvanized trailer, with Kodiak disc brakes.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:03 pm 

By no means an expert, but I would go with a galvanized trailer and surge brakes. Even if you're in freshwater, the galvanized trailers offer a lot less maintenance and worries. I've never had electric brakes, but it seems logical to assume that there would be a higher potential rate of failure after years of being dunked in the water. I tow a similar sized boat and the surge brakes have always been more than sufficient. I definitely would not go for the Four Winns trailer. Four Winns makes a wonderful boat, but the trailers leave a lot to be desired. My Four Winns trailer is going on 5 years old and it already needs retooled (new connections for the break lines, new bunks, sanded and repainted, etc.) Loadmaster makes a solid trailer. Cincy Aquaholic just bought one last year for his Sea Ray. He bought from a place in Cleveland and got a very respectable price. I think he'd tell you it was worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm 

Stay far far away from painted steel unless you want something cheap cause you're selling the boat. If you plan on keeping it, get galvanized or aluminum. Shop the used/closeout market. I picked up a brand new trailer for my H180 fully galvanized for $700 cause it was a bank repo from a dealership that went out of business.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 pm 
Shark

Probably get a lot of different opinions on this, but you might also want to look at aluminum I beam style. This past fall I picked up a loadmaster aluminum tri-axle. 18k gvw, 34-36 ft. $4000. Solid trailer, even has axle flush outs for salt water. Just a thought.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:35 pm 

Ben,

This question will bring a different answer from most everyone. I towed my 268 for 3 years on a factory FW trailer with surge dics brakes with absolutely no issues.

I purchased a used metal craft painted steel trailer with electric brakes and used it once last summer to haul our 318 to traverse city. No issues no problems. I like the electric brakes for the sensitivity adjustment. This is a good thing when some idiot pulls in front of you like you only had a 16' aluminum boat behind you, or say someone slams on the brakes for some ducks crossing the highway, which have both happened to me.

The surge brakes are ok, but electric brakes respond much quicker. If you look around I think you will find that a 268/278 class trailer is about as big as you will find with surge brakes. After that they either go electric or electric over hydraulic.

I too was looking at loadmasters. They make a damn nice trailer. Had I not found the used one I would have bought it with the electric brakes.

For the most part the steel trailers offer more hull support than do the aluminum ones do. For some reason most the aluminums only have the 2 large bunks, where loadmasters and others have 4-6 bunks under the hull.

The loadmasters is a c channel frame were FW and the metal craft are tube frames. In salt that may be a problem but freshwater the trailer wii last as long as you have the boat IMO.

What do you have for a tow vehicle? I know I tried to tow my 268 with a 1/2 ton suburban. It pulled it but it didn't like it! You need a3/4 ton minimum.

Good luck on your purchase.

Ps. Did you ever land any fish with the rod holders n stuff?

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 pm 

Lakebum wrote:
Probably get a lot of different opinions on this, but you might also want to look at aluminum I beam style. This past fall I picked up a loadmaster aluminum tri-axle. 18k gvw, 34-36 ft. $4000. Solid trailer, even has axle flush outs for salt water. Just a thought.

I like the idea of the weight savings, price, and lack of corrosion with an aluminum trailer, but am concerned that all the ones I've seen only have 2 bunks. Does only having 2 bunks put extra strain on the hull or is that not the case?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 pm 

I have electric brakes on my trailer. Only had them on for about a year so i'll have to wait and see how long they last. I use in freshwater only. There is less maintenance in IMO no brake lines, fluid, calipers or cylinders just a magnet and springs. I unplug the trailer when I dunk it but as long as the connections are sealed there shouldn't be a problem leaving it plugged in. I had surge brakes before but once you go electric you won't go back. Better stopping control with the right controller. I would ask about adding bunks if it is an option the more the merrier.

Last edited by fiznuka on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm 

To me, I would go with a galv trailer. You are putting it in water, salt or not the steel is going to get wet. :lol:

I have always had surge brakes. To me there are so easy, because there the same setup as a car. Other than the back-up solenoid, and that easy too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 pm 

jsimon wrote:
Ben,

The surge brakes are ok, but electric brakes respond much quicker. If you look around I think you will find that a 268/278 class trailer is about as big as you will find with surge brakes. After that they either go electric or electric over hydraulic.

What do you have for a tow vehicle? I know I tried to tow my 268 with a 1/2 ton suburban. It pulled it but it didn't like it! You need a3/4 ton minimum.

Good luck on your purchase.

Ps. Did you ever land any fish with the rod holders n stuff?

Jeff,

Thanks for the input! I don't have a ton of towing experience so I'm at least trying to make sure I purchase a trailer that's not going to hinder my towing. I assume if a quality manufacturer like Loadmaster puts electric brakes on standard they should be ok, but like I said I don't have alot of experience in this department.

I also plan to use a load distribution hitch which I think doesn't work well on surge brakes. I'm towing with a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L with tow max package (10300lbs). I've searched trucks for a while before purchasing it and found it to be the best fit for my needs of occasionally towing and being a daily driver...I work for Toyota so that also helped in the decision. I spoke with a bunch of Tundra owners who rave about the way this truck handles a heavy load towing, and after seeing close up how these trucks are built I'm excited to put it to task and see how it does.

I didn't end up trying the trolling setup yet! I fished a few times this last summer but only for perch...hopefully this year! Ben

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 am 

You know me, I tow all the time with the factory FW trailer. It has its downfalls, but has given me no issues.

I do like the amount of bunk support it offers, and how easy it is to center on the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 am 

I would be careful on "with tow max package (10300lbs)". Most sales people do not understand pickups when it comes to rear ends & towing. I have seen dealers say 10,300lbs max, but there looking at the wrong model truck. There not telling you that you need to add your own wight and anything you put in the truck. This could also include the fact that you may have a crew cab or any other type of cab or bed, which now brings that number down. PLUS the wrong rear end that will not bring you to that 10,300lbs.

If you also need "plan to use a load distribution hitch" that means your very close to the tongue wight or you have a unbalanced load. Be careful.

I have an extended cab with a 3.73 rear end and towing package. So I can tow up to 9,300lbs. I could tow more if I had the reg. cab. & there bigger engine.

With a V258 at 6,400 dry, trailer 1,200 & about 500lbs in fuel, food, water, and gear. Now adds up to 8,100lbs, add me & the wife. 8,400lbs.

Personally, I like the rollers, it makes for easy off & easy on. With no difference in centering the boat on the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 pm 
268 Vista

Stick with a Bunk style trailer for your 268. Much easier to load than a roller.

Here is a possibility, and Venture makes some very nice aluminum I-beam trailers.

10,000 lb. Tri Axle

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Stick with a Bunk style trailer for your 268. Much easier to load than a roller.

Here is a possibility, and Venture makes some very nice aluminum I-beam trailers.

10,000 lb. Tri Axle

Thanks Cap'n! That's a lot of trailer for the money! I've been wondering how Venture's stack up against other trailers quality wise. Also if only having 2 bunks is really a problem...why can't two more be added. If you look at the rear view pic of this trailer it looks like another set of bracket and carpet covered bunks would do the trick. Am I missing something here?

Anybody else have personal experience with Venture's?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 pm 
268 Vista

I know in talks with our Monterey dealer, they have nothing but praise to say about the Venture trailers.
They use Venture (aluminum) and EZ-Loader (steel) for their trailers, if the boat is not ordered from the factory with a trailer.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy