www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Venture was what I was looking at if I bought a trailer alone. For the price they can't be beat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Stick with a Bunk style trailer for your 268. Much easier to load than a roller.

Here is a possibility, and Venture makes some very nice aluminum I-beam trailers.

10,000 lb. Tri Axle

On a trailer like that, with only 2 bunks. How will it support all that wight?? The bunks are side up which is about 2" wide and not going to contour to fit the hull like rollers will. To me, it looks like it needs more bunks, no?? My first 2 boats were a 19 & 21' boats & the bunks were the wider side up, about 3.5". From there I always had rollers, so I am not sure how 2 bunks are going to support the hull?

One good thing about rollers. If you bottom paint, you can move the boat 4" and paint were the rollers were. Than move the boat back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:06 am 
268 Vista

A trailer for his size boat will not have just 2 bunks. So it WILL support the weight of his boat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 am 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
A trailer for his size boat will not have just 2 bunks. So it WILL support the weight of his boat.

Thats what I would think, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 am 

Paul I. wrote:
I would be careful on "with tow max package (10300lbs)". Most sales people do not understand pickups when it comes to rear ends & towing.
If you also need "plan to use a load distribution hitch" that means your very close to the tongue wight or you have a unbalanced load. Be careful.

I have an extended cab with a 3.73 rear end and towing package. So I can tow up to 9,300lbs. I could tow more if I had the reg. cab. & there bigger engine.

With a V258 at 6,400 dry, trailer 1,200 & about 500lbs in fuel, food, water, and gear. Now adds up to 8,100lbs, add me & the wife. 8,400lbs.

I find it terribly ironic that you are lecturing me about a 10300 capacity when your boats dry weight is only 300lbs lighter than mine and your tow capacity is 9300lbs. Whats even more ironic is if I wanted to trade my 2007 tundra for any 2007 GAS powered 3/4 ton I would have to take a considerable loss in Hp and Torque. I have 381hp/ 401lb-ft torque. A 10.5 in 4.300 rear gear and a 6spd trans with cooler, temp gauge and came from the factory with a 10K hitch.

Of course other things go into tow capacity like braking and suspension. The Tundra has massive 13.9in rotors with four piston calipers and stops quicker than any truck in its class including tests pulling a 10k trailer. My point is your response is riddled with major assumptions while you ignore your very own advice. If I go slap a 2500 badge on my truck would it make you feel better? I'm not saying my truck is the greatest truck ever build or that it is superior/equal to any 3/4 ton...but when I look at the SPECS of my truck(not what a salesman told me) I feel pretty damn good about what I bought. I also think you missed the part about me being in the business and taking a long time to make my decision based on personal research. Now can we get back to what I actually need advice on...TRAILERS?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:26 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
Paul I. wrote:
I would be careful on "with tow max package (10300lbs)". Most sales people do not understand pickups when it comes to rear ends & towing.
If you also need "plan to use a load distribution hitch" that means your very close to the tongue wight or you have a unbalanced load. Be careful.

I have an extended cab with a 3.73 rear end and towing package. So I can tow up to 9,300lbs. I could tow more if I had the reg. cab. & there bigger engine.

With a V258 at 6,400 dry, trailer 1,200 & about 500lbs in fuel, food, water, and gear. Now adds up to 8,100lbs, add me & the wife. 8,400lbs.

I find it terribly ironic that you are lecturing me about a 10300 capacity when your boats dry weight is only 300lbs lighter than mine and your tow capacity is 9300lbs. Whats even more ironic is if I wanted to trade my 2007 tundra for any 2007 GAS powered 3/4 ton I would have to take a considerable loss in Hp and Torque. I have 381hp/ 401lb-ft torque. A 10.5 in 4.300 rear gear and a 6spd trans with cooler, temp gauge and came from the factory with a 10K hitch.

Of course other things go into tow capacity like braking and suspension. The Tundra has massive 13.9in rotors with four piston calipers and stops quicker than any truck in its class including tests pulling a 10k trailer. My point is your response is riddled with major assumptions while you ignore your very own advice. If I go slap a 2500 badge on my truck would it make you feel better? I'm not saying my truck is the greatest truck ever build or that it is superior/equal to any 3/4 ton...but when I look at the SPECS of my truck(not what a salesman told me) I feel pretty damn good about what I bought. I also think you missed the part about me being in the business and taking a long time to make my decision based on personal research. Now can we get back to what I actually need advice on...TRAILERS?

Sorry to offend you!! That was not my intentions.

When I hear, 10,300lbs & needing a load distributing hitch. To me and MAYBE I am wrong, red flags go up in my head. As in my case, I don't need that type of hitch and sales people in general, at least up here in Boston do not understand pick-ups.

I don't see how I am "you ignore your very own advice." My F-150 is rated 9300lbs, I am towing about 8100lbs so there is a little room to spare (about 1000lbs). Unless I am not seeing your point?? Which could be true!! There are 2 temps gauges in the truck, one for the trans and one for the engine. Both run in the green, when towing. I think I am following my own advice?? I am not having any problems in towing.

As to the load distributing hitch, what would have happened if your load was unbalanced. How would I feel that I could have warned you if something did happen. If I remember right, you did not state why you were using it.

BUT anyways I was saying "be carful", I will do more reading than writing from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:23 pm 

Ok Paul lets sort this out and then move on:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't need that type of hitch and sales people in general

I had the factory build sheet in my hand before I even looked at the truck. No salesman involved in this transaction.I Never mentioned sales people. This advice is more suited for someone truck shopping not someone who has already bought and is asking for advice on trailers not trucks.
Quote:
Quote:
When I hear, 10,300lbs & needing a load distributing hitch.

From what I understand a WD hitch helps with load balancing and sway even if you aren't close to your limit. I may not NEED one but I do PLAN to use one...why not right? I don't even have a trailer yet to know if it's of balance.
Quote:
Bigger engine...you aren't towing with a 4.6l are you?
Quote:
How would I feel that I could have warned you if something did happen.

Paul I'm not mad at you. I understand your heart was in the right place and I appreciate you looking out for me. I just didn't understand why you went off track with the whole truck/Wd hitch/salesman thing. I am still wet slipping the boat and will only tow maybe 3 times a year, with most tows only a couple of hours away on flat land. I couldn't picture driving a super duty 3500 diesel 70 miles to work everyday just so I can have it to tow a short distance a couple of times a year. I would have just rented a truck to tow, but I'm also restoring an old house and need a truck constantly.

Paul I guess what I'm trying to say is the truck decision is made based on my personal needs and research. I don't need help in that decision, but I do need help in the trailer decision which was the point in the whole post anyway. The last time I towed was our 190 horizon 3 years ago. I'm very interested in info like surge vs. electric brakes, tri axle vs tandem, painted vs galvenized vs aluminum from people like you that actually tow one of these boats. I hope this clears things up and we can move on. Ben

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:43 pm 

Minimum cost for a decent tow truck = 10,000 + yearly maintenance.
You're only moving it 6 times a year. Is that a 1 way trip or two way trip?

That equals to $1600 every time you need to move the boat in 1 year for 1 way trip, or $800 a tow for 6 two way trips like from home/marina = 800 marina/home = 800.

Own the boat/truck for 3 years? $550 ($275 two way) a tow if no extra work is done to the truck and not counting gas/oil changes/tires.

You REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY think you need to rethink your plan there buddy.

Typical towing services are $5 a mile. Local marina's also have people that will do it for much cheaper.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 pm 

ric wrote:
Minimum cost for a decent tow truck = 10,000 + yearly maintenance.
You're only moving it 6 times a year. Is that a 1 way trip or two way trip?

That equals to $1600 every time you need to move the boat in 1 year for 1 way trip, or $800 a tow for 6 two way trips like from home/marina = 800 marina/home = 800.

Own the boat/truck for 3 years? $550 ($275 two way) a tow if no extra work is done to the truck and not counting gas/oil changes/tires.

You REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY think you need to rethink your plan there buddy.

Typical towing services are $5 a mile. Local marina's also have people that will do it for much cheaper.

Here we go again :roll:
Quote:
I would have just rented a truck to tow, but I'm also restoring an old house and need a truck constantly.
Does anyone actually read anything on this site or just get so excitied to interject their unfounded opinion they skip that part.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm 
268 Vista

Paul I. wrote:

Yes, I would agree, and thats all I am saying! I always put foot in mouth!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 pm 

I am going to try to go down the list of your points.

Here is what happened to me.. I have F-150 with a 5.6L, (I believe you can get it in a 6.xL too.) My first F-150 was great!! The lease was up, I said give me the "SAME" truck. It turned out to be the same model, but the rear end was a 4.3 if my memory is right. I didn't feel it until I towed with it. They assumed that the "max" tow was for all models. It is not, and I think you know that. I am now on my 3rd F-150 with a 3.73 rear end and a 5.6L engine. No complaints on all trucks, other than the rear end which is not the fault of the truck. And yes, you did not mentioned the salesperson.

If your trucks has a good suspension. your load is balanced, and a good trailer. (plus under the tongue wight) The trailer should not sway & you don't need the WD hitch.

As to the hitch helping in load balancing, I am doing to say "no". You must balance the load on the trailer first. The rule of thump is, 10% of the load should be on the tongue. Now if the truck & trailer dips down, now you need the WD hitch to bring it up. It will not hurt (as far as I know) to use one even if you don't need one.

I must have missed the part as to you not owning a trailer!! I thought you were buying a replacement one.

I will say one thing, look into schuckhitches.com It is one of the best thing I have bought. It takes the stress out of towing and a smother ride!!.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:18 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

Yes, I would agree, and thats all I am saying! I always put foot in mouth!!

Do you have too remind me!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:31 pm 

So... we need a trailer and a truck for more then just boat towing. No, I hate reading :)

Personally having owned a 99 F150 with the 4.6 and used it tow a 12ft enclosed trailer.. I hated it. It got an AMAZING 16mpg.. and towing a trailer? Maybe 8? I can only imagine towing a Vista... probably gets 5mpg.

A 2006+ Cummings turbo diesel in the dodge 2500 gets 20mpg @ 70mph on the highway. Chip it? Mid/high 20's. Around town... 18-20.
Towing 8000lbs chipped? 12-16. Unchipped... 10ish.

Something that heavy should never be towed by gasoline, it's wasteful. Maybe when gas was $1 a gallon it wouldn't matter. My uncle's F250 turbo diesel hauling horses in the mountains of Massachusetts averages 15mpg and it's not chipped.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
268 Vista

ric wrote:
A 2006+ Cummings turbo diesel in the dodge 2500 gets 20mpg @ 70mph on the highway. Chip it? Mid/high 20's. Around town... 18-20. Towing 8000lbs chipped? 12-16. Unchipped... 10ish.

That is some very interesting advice about a trailer. Gee thanks.

Can you also tell me if I tow a trailer at night, will it be dark ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:55 pm 

ric wrote:
So... we need a trailer and a truck for more then just boat towing. No, I hate reading :)

Personally having owned a 99 F150 with the 4.6 and used it tow a 12ft enclosed trailer.. I hated it. It got an AMAZING 16mpg.. and towing a trailer? Maybe 8? I can only imagine towing a Vista... probably gets 5mpg.

A 2006+ Cummings turbo diesel in the dodge 2500 gets 20mpg @ 70mph on the highway. Chip it? Mid/high 20's. Around town... 18-20.
Towing 8000lbs chipped? 12-16. Unchipped... 10ish.

Something that heavy should never be towed by gasoline, it's wasteful. Maybe when gas was $1 a gallon it wouldn't matter. My uncle's F250 turbo diesel hauling horses in the mountains of Massachusetts averages 15mpg and it's not chipped.

I do get 16.5 MPG with out towing. The newer models get better MGH. Towing I am not sure, the on board computer goes from the 16.5 MPG average down to 14 mpg atter a 25 mile ride that is both city & highway driving.

Have you seen Ford's new EcoBoost engine?? It sounds good, but can it do the job?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next