www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:07 am 
email admin your custom rank

LouC wrote:
Even though it's more expensive, the only electric brakes I'd use here are electric over hydraulic, they are made to be marine rated, the electric drums you can buy for trailers are really just RV brakes, and ultimately they will corrode. Raw cast iron, non stainless springs, etc.

Lou I think electric trailer brake technology for marine application has come a long way when it comes to corrosion resistance, and I agree the electric over hydraulic would be the way to go. Of course any brake system on any vehicle battles with corrosion and requires maintenance, but maybe not at the level that saltwater creates. I'm only boating in freshwater and do not foresee dipping my boat in saltwater anytime in the future...it's just too far away :( I've thought about how cool it would be to trailer to Florida and shoot across to Bimini, but the thought of flying there and chartering a sailboat instead is just more appealing to me.

I took this exert from an article online pertaining to this same issue:
Quote:
In the past, boat trailers relied heavily on surge brakes setups because it was thought that the electric brake components mounted in the wheel (the shoes, arms, magnet and related springs and parts) would rust quickly because they are constantly dipped in water when the boat is launched. Today, however, more marine trailer builders are installing electric brake systems because brake manufacturers have started offering corrosion-resistant brake components such as galvanized or stainless steel metal parts coupled with rare-earth magnets.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

I know that Fulton was, or is making marine grade electric drum brakes, but I have never seen them on any trailers sold around here. In fact I looked on their website, and didn't see anything about them. As far as electric vs surge, I'd consider your driving conditions. If you have a lot of hills, highway driving, then yes the electric brakes offer superior control. However, if most of your driving is on flat roads, surge works fine. I think with a decently maintained surge system there is just less to go wrong. As long as the wheel cylinders or calipers apply and release, the brakes work. Grounding problems are so common with trailer light issues, I would not want to depend on that, to stop the trailer. I have had less trouble with my surge brakes, than with the trailer lights, LOL......
I have been able to make surge drums last by making some modifications to the wheel cylinder and greasing all the pivot points of the brake shoes, and adjuster threads about every 2 seasons or so. Surge drums seize up because believe it or not the rubber boot on the wheel cylinder is not water tight. What I did was put some synthetic caliper grease under the boot, and on the edge of the metal piston. I filled the boot so water can't get in. Then you can also seal the edge of the boot and the hole where the pushrod comes out with high temp RTV. If you can keep the water out and grease the points as above they can last, as well as disc brakes do. The disc systems while better, can have the same problem. You get some salt crystals (or mineral deposits for you fresh water guys) in between the rubber boot and the caliper, and sooner or later the piston starts sticking. You have to pack this area with a good water resistant grease to keep the water out of there.
Electrics, being that they are still drums, you will want to grease those same pivot points. They are simpler than free backing surge drums though because you do not need a free backing feature with electric brakes.
There was a guy on some of the bulletin boards, who used electric RV brakes on a boat trailer, and he posted pix of them a few times. I think his screen name was jeffnick or something similar. Anyway he did say he had less trouble wtih them, than with the first gen surge Tie Down discs. He did use the boat in salt water but used to flush them really well.
I usually do a complete brake job on my vehicles every 4-5 years so if the trailer brakes last that long I'm happy....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II