www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Shark

OK, I'm well aware of the pros and cons with each style and I'm also aware of how many folks are loyal to each style, similar to Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, etc. Anywho, I have oil bath hubs (tandem axle) with clear cap covers and have only had one issue so far. One of the hubs must have leaked and completely filled with lake water but no damage came of it. However, I have a long trip coming up this summer and I'm not 100% convinced they will make it thru a 2000 mi round trip without any issues. I am planning to have my local National Marine store replace the inner seals and inspect for bearing damage before making the trip. I can easily do the repairs and inspections myself, but I feel the "experts" might do it slightly better. Can someone make me feel warm and cozy inside that I'm trusting these guys? Should I also consider purchasing a spare hub kit?

I typically trailer my rig twice a month, 75 miles each way. It NEVER sees salt water. I always, and I mean always, check my hubs each and every time I stop, looking for leaks or feeling for heat build up. However, I've heard oil bath hubs can drain pretty fast if they spring a leak leaving you with ZERO lubrication whereas, greased hubs always have some lubrication no matter what.

Since this forum has been nearly dead of late, I've decided to leave this post quite open-ended with hopes of revitalizing the opinions and facts from you, the forum experts. Come on guys, let me have it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have the same as you, and I have switched to the clear caps as well. I don't see how fresh water could have damaged the bearings especially since you caught it so quickly. I trailer less than 20km to the lake, but occasionally up to 3 hours. I keep some 90 weight oil with me just incase of a leak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 pm 
230 Mike

I'm a firm believer in having a spare hub ready to go on long trips. Even that is no guarantee, since the kind of failure that might warrant a hub change might destroy the spindle too - but it's one more bit of insurance. They don't cost much. Of course in your case you'll have to take oil along too. All that said, I bet you won't have any problems as long as you keep an eye on things along the way. If you don't have an IR temp gun, get one so you can monitor hub temps.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm 
Sting Ray

I'm curious where you guys got the clear caps?

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:35 pm 

Honestly I do not think that the oil filled caps are really the best thing, because of the possibility of catastrophic failure. Keep in mind that back in the old days, all rear drive cars had their bearings lubed by grease, and as long as you re-packed every 30K miles and adjusted the preload you would not have a problem.

Conventional hubs that have to be dis-assembled are a pain esp on boat trailers, I'd want the Super Lube style on any trailer I bought, with that, it's very easy to tell if you have water in the grease before it causes a problem. I feel they the best system out there for reliability and convenience.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Last edited by LouC on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm 

Indy Steve wrote:
I'm curious where you guys got the clear caps?

I thought I posted the source when I got mine, but I can't find the post now.