www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Goldfish

I didn't have a battery to put in it this weekend so I just got all the liquids drained tucked it away for the cold night. The weather will be improving into the low '70's by the weekend so I will see if it starts when I put a battery in it and fill er back up with all the proper liquids. To show you how long it's been since I was involved in boats I had no idea most service marinas will not work on a boat this old. What a shame. I wonder if no one will work on me when I get old? lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:57 pm 
Goldfish

I did find out that the engine in it is a Mercruiser Chevy 350sb with 260 hp. The engine looks to be in good shape with good oil in it, hoses and clamps are all newish. The gasoline smelled like it hadn't gone south yet too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The hull looks great, the interior you can re-do a little at a time, that's how I did mine, took a few seasons worth but eventually replaced all the bow cushions and seats. For what you paid, if the deck is not rotted, you did very well. I'd try to get it running, water test it, check all the fluids and run it on the water hose first. I'd try to find a good independent marine mechanic to work on it, marinas want new boats to work on I guess, but here most mechanics will work on boats that age, you're in freshwater how bad could it be, and its a Merc, most common drive system out there. If they won't work on it they are prima donnas, they should see some of the salt water boats here...
Check out www.iboats.com
go into forums, and look at the merc i/o forum, and the restoration forum, there are a lot of pros there you can ask whatever questions you have.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm 

Congrats on the find! I can remember boating with my dad as a kid and drooling over boats just like yours. Loved the Liberators, Scarabs, etc. Seeing it makes me want to start my own project! Have fun with it!

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 am 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
I did find out that the engine in it is a Mercruiser Chevy 350sb with 260 hp. The engine looks to be in good shape with good oil in it, hoses and clamps are all newish. The gasoline smelled like it hadn't gone south yet too.

(other than the cracked vinyl) That's a nice looking one!

If you don't know how long the gas has been in there, You might want to drain it using a siphon hose through the gage-sender hole.

It's under the back seat. 6 screws and you can remove it. Get a new sender gasket from West Marine or other marine store. Be careful with the screws though. Some of the kits use a different thread pitch from what you have.

Get some 3/4" clear vinyl hose that's long enough so you don't have to be afraid of getting fuel in your mouth (you can see it coming!!)
If you put a ball valve on the end you can pre-fill the hose to make it easier to start the siphon.

Tip the bow up and use the hose as a "vacuum cleaner" to remove and water or other debris in the tank.

I would also check/replace the anti-siphon valve and definitely replace the fuel filter. Also carefully check the flexible (marine) fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter. If it even hints of cracks replace it.

The fuel line from the pump to the carb should be stainless steel.
Carefully check the yellow hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor. (that's the hose that will tell you if the fuel pump is leaking fuel)

Expect boat to run approx 50 mph at WOT and around 4800 RPM.

You'll LOVE that Liberator!

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the encouragement on the boat. The info on how to make sure things are in good shape is priceless. I definately would not know what to expect being that I have not had a boat I had to maintain in so long. The industry has changed so much since I last had a boat (1985). Your Liberator sounds as if it's a rocketship with that 454 in it. I would like to upgrade to that config very much. What could I expect to pay if I could scrounge up that engine and the alpha III used? Would love to see some pics of your boat too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 pm 
Goldfish

A couple of other questions: where do you download a service manual for the Liberator 211? I dl'd the owner's manual but it has nothing technical in it. Also can anyone post up a link for suppliers of parts for older Mercruiser stuff?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:15 pm 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
A couple of other questions: where do you download a service manual for the Liberator 211? I dl'd the owner's manual but it has nothing technical in it. Also can anyone post up a link for suppliers of parts for older Mercruiser stuff?
Thanks

I don't think there is one.

There are online Mercruiser manuals from other people. Try iBoats in the Mercruiser section.....

Here's one also: http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

here's some before/after pictures

You can replace what you have with other stuff but it's best to get everything from a donor boat or you spend a LOT buying little parts.

I found a 1998 Bayliner that was damaged by a tree falling across the bow and bought the entire (1997 model year) Mercruiser 454/Bravo III, gimbal mount, and accy's for about $5k

I then sold piece by piece all the OMC "stuff" over a few years for nearly $3500. Worked out great!

The engine is similar in crankshaft HP to the previously installed 460. The 460 was a tad faster (60mph) at the top end (because I ran it at 5000 RPM) The 454 is a little slower(57mph) at 4600 RPM (rev limited to 4700) but the hole-shot is nothing short of spectacular. I can beat most similarly sized boats out of the hole except smaller ski-boats.

The 211 is IMO a bit underpowered with a stock small block. I did consider a 2004 Mercruiser 350MPI and Bravo I that was rated at 300(prop-shaft)hp. (they were asking $7500 for it and turned down my $6000 offer I was ready to up the offer when the 454/Bravo III showed up on craigslist locally)

My 454 is actually rated at 300 Propshaft HP too so I think the (SBC) 350MPI Bravo ONE would have performed at a similar or slightly higher top speed but would have been much slower out of the hole.

Any big heavy boat will benefit from a dual contra-rotating prop drive (like a Bravo III or VP Duo-prop)

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm 
Goldfish

You see you kept the boat and improved it. I like that. I guess I'm just a miser when it comes to my money and I like to fix what I have instead of buying new when the warranty goes out. Sweet boat you got there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 am 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
You see you kept the boat and improved it. I like that. I guess I'm just a miser when it comes to my money and I like to fix what I have instead of buying new when the warranty goes out. Sweet boat you got there.

I am the same way........You know, these boats were pretty expensive when new. My brother bought mine new in 1987 and paid about $28000 for it. He sold it to me in 2005 and I replaced the engine and drive in the Winter of 2006.

As long as the transom and floor aren't rotten and you have a good running engine & drive, you can get a LOT of use out of them, the registration and insurance are MUCH lower than it would be for a new boat.

You can easily rebuild and upgrade your 350 by boring and stroking the engine.

A correctly built 383 will perform similarly to a 454. Nothing wrong with an Alpha either. And if you do have a problem you can always replace with an SEI.

By the way, you got a super deal with the 350/Alpha.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm 
Goldfish

I got the title on Friday and found out it is 1985 model and not an '88. Not to worry though my final cost of only $800 was well worth it. I got a new battery, and am taking the boat to the shop tomorrow and have the next 15 days off work to work on it! Stoked! I agree about rebuilding the engine. I looked at doing a 383 stroker. I found I can purchase one for around $2k. It produces 400 hp and uses less gas too. I may just do that if this motor doesn't work. I'll find that out tomorrow when they run a compression test on it and see if it starts up. some moron took out the tilt and trim so I have to replace that. If the egnine runs I'll run it till it breaks then get the stroker. In the meantime if all is well and it runs then it's off to the lake this weekend then on to the upholstery shop next week. I am thinking of changing out the paint scheme to a more updated look. Got any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm 

Painting a boat the right way so it lasts is VERY expensive unless you are an experienced painter yourself, I'd buff out the gelcoat so it shines and leave it at that. It looks very good in the pix. Save your cash for engine, and drive issues. Clean it up, replace the vinyl on that sunpad and have fun. Also don't forget the trailer, it could need brakes, bearings, springs etc.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 pm 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
I got the title on Friday and found out it is 1985 model and not an '88. Not to worry though my final cost of only $800 was well worth it. I got a new battery, and am taking the boat to the shop tomorrow and have the next 15 days off work to work on it! Stoked! I agree about rebuilding the engine. I looked at doing a 383 stroker. I found I can purchase one for around $2k. It produces 400 hp and uses less gas too. I may just do that if this motor doesn't work. I'll find that out tomorrow when they run a compression test on it and see if it starts up. some moron took out the tilt and trim so I have to replace that. If the egnine runs I'll run it till it breaks then get the stroker. In the meantime if all is well and it runs then it's off to the lake this weekend then on to the upholstery shop next week. I am thinking of changing out the paint scheme to a more updated look. Got any ideas?

Hmm. I don't think Four Winns had the Liberator in 85. You might check the HIN (rear starboard side) carefully and compare to the title.

There were Liberators in 86 though, so you might have gotten an 86 model sold in 85 (making it an 85 on paper)

Also, I didn't know they offered it with a Mercruiser in 86. That was the first year for the OMC Cobra.......same transom cutout as Mercruiser ..........So while it may have come from FW with an OMC inside, someone could have changed it in the last 25 years or so...... Check the serial number on right-rear side (I think) of the engine. Mercruiser doesn't use year model as much as they use serial number for ranges of years. You can look online and find what year the engine actually is if it's a "real" Mercruiser engine block.

Be careful putting a 400hp 383 in front of an Alpha, Mercruiser rates them at 300 propshaft HP. That relates to about 330 crankshaft HP.......[Yes, I know......People do it all the time......just saying]

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm 
french 829

LouC wrote:
Painting a boat the right way so it lasts is VERY expensive unless you are an experienced painter yourself, I'd buff out the gelcoat so it shines and leave it at that. It looks very good in the pix. Save your cash for engine, and drive issues. Clean it up, replace the vinyl on that sunpad and have fun. Also don't forget the trailer, it could need brakes, bearings, springs etc.

+1

I think the current design actually looks pretty nice. I'd wax it up and enjoy!

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 pm 
Tadpole

As far as the teak goes...
I hate sikkens. I refinished all my teak that had sikkens on it with teak guard.
I highly recommend it. Looks awesome and is extremely easy to maintain.