www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:15 am 
email admin your custom rank

josh84 wrote:
thanks for the info guys :) so my new problem is i bought a cap an rotor from west marine its a sierra brand an the second time out it failed on me the boat was running on 4 cylinders anyone have problems with the sierra parts before ? i was talking to a friend that works at a marina an he told me the sierra stuff is junk to go with oem quick silver so i think its time for a complete tune up new plugs,cap,rotor,wires,an ill probably change out the sierra filters i just put on too. but as for more power i think my plan is a set of vortec heads an new cam an carb an use the stock bottom end cuz the motor only has 60 hrs on it but what size cam should i get anyone know ? thanks for all the help guys :D

It's a small block chevy...hint hint. Your local autoparts store is better for the tune up stuff. You can narrow marine only stuff down to Starter, alternator, carb., and cam. The rest is over-price same as or not as good. For cap and rotor wires, just get the MSD or like items. And by all means put an K & N Filter/spark arrestor on it and give your engine some clean air and longer life.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm 
Minnow

yea i just looked up mallory wires an cap an rotor an its cheaper to go threw summit then buy oem stuff. an i have been thinking bout a k&n arrestor but im thinking that mite be on my tab for the winter project because im planning on a set of vortec heads an new cam an carb but i have to look into what size is the best cam to go with or instead of spending money on motor upgrade ill upgrade the out drive to a brovo an put my 355 sbc in it an go that way. i have been reading on off shore only an there is a guy with a lib like mine with a stroked 406 with 500hp an hes running an alpha with no problems he says u just cant crack it out of the hole u got to get on plane an ease into it. also there are a few guys running stock big blocks with alpha's guess every one has there own opinion on it. guess ill have to do more research on it but i got all season to come up with a plan lol i also have a stock ls 6.0 that i though bout using an putting a carb on it. so many options lol :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm 
Minnow

so im ready to pull all my hair out lol i can not figure out for the life of me why my 5.7 wont run rite here is a list of what i have done to it in the past month an nothing has changed rpm or power wise ..

had 4 barrel carb rebuilt
new fuel filter an water separator
8 new ngk spark plugs from westmarine
new 8mm mallory plug wires
quicksilver cap an rotor
set timing to factory spec for thunderbolt v1 8deg at 700rpm an 30deg total

i just noticed today running it on the muffs after running the boat all day an still having the same issue with wot being low like 3900-4000 an it wont go anymore. while on the muff i noticed that the odd side of the block 1,3,5,7, was pumping hotter water out of the thru hull tip then the other side ? now with that being said im thinking i have a carb issue ... an i say this because i have a 86 5.7 with a cast iron botie high rise intake (that was on the boat when i bought it) an in thinking maybe the stock qjet dosnt put out enough fuel for the high rise intake ? also i notice an this is why i had the carb rebuilt that when u take the spark arrestor off an look into the carb while running there is two little squirters on the front of the carb under the choke flap an the one on the odd side of the block 1,3,5,7, squirts fuel at idle an the one on the other side 2,4,6,8, dnt squirt so i had it rebuilt an when i got it back it was the same way an was told by the man that rebuilt it that its normal ? but that didnt make since to me but he has been doin this for years so i trusted him an now im thinking theres a problem with it ? heres the specs of the boat

1986 211 liberator with 5.7 carb botie high rise cast iron intake alpha 1 od 1.47 gear ratio with a ss 14.5x19 pitch prop an wot im getting 45-48 mph on gps depending on conditions on the water an wot is 3900-4000 max any help on this would be great guys im goin nut an seriously thinking bout selling its soon if i cant get it right thanks for any help