www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 pm 
Guppy

Well i am starting to really appreciate the headache of boat ownership. Earlier this year I was having difficulty starting the boat in the water replaced the distributor cap and seemed to somewhat fix the problem. I am still having problems starting the engine cold most of the time. Often times it will take a while and numerous attempts at WOT to start. Once it does start it may run for a short period of time and just cut out or it may stay running. Sometime when I get her going on the water right after initial start up she will run fine and just cut out suddenly while cruising. After I have gotten a good ride in approx. 10-15 minutes she will run fine the rest of the day. Recently, when I do get it started it squeals very loudly until I either raise rpms or the engine idles down. The squeals go away after the initial start up and drive, never to return until the next cold start up. I think the carb may need a rebuild it often smells rich, and I should mention when I have difficulty starting I will leave WOT to kind of air the engine out before trying to start again, this often helps. Any advise or areas to look would be greatly appreciated.
I have replaced wires, plugs, dist. cap, fuel filter. Tested solenoid and fuses. Is there a procedure to adjust the carb?
I really am not sure where to start for rebuilding the carb...im pretty well mechanically inclined but have never restored a carb before. The choke is normally around an 1/8 gap. I actually backed the adjustment screw out pretty far a couple weeks ago. Maybe I should try adjusting there again thats right around the time it started cutting out mid drive. And at idle low speed the engine sounds like it wants to stop. The starboard side adjustment screw I couldnt get to budge tough to get at with a screwdriver.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'd suggest that you find a marine shop to rebuild the carb for you. The choke should close when the engine is cold, and open a fraction after it starts. It should open fully when the engine reaches normal operating temp. I had my local mechanic rebuild my Quadrajet because of the complex design of this carb.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 am 

Adjustment screw? Are you talking about the idle mixture adjustment screw? If you backed it out all the way, that would be a main cause of your issues; way too rich at idle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:39 am 

Carb rebuild time! Also being a 1991, it may have points in the distributor. It would be a good time to swap that out for an electronic conversion kit.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:51 pm 

Ditto on the carb.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:26 pm 
Guppy

I do not have points its electrical point, already looked into that. I figured Id have to rebuild carb...how hard is it? Ive looked online for parts kit for this two barrel but couldn't find exact kit.