www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 pm 
Goldfish

Long time since I posted here !

So, question is, where should the ballast resistor be on my '88 160 Freedom (3.0l OMC) ?

Last week, out with some friends, 4 adults, 3 young kids, one of the lady pregnant to the gills, engine died. Really felt like ignition problem, on and off. No rhyme or reason. We got lucky and got towed to a ramp by a friendly boater. I hitched a ride to the other ramp where my truck was and made it back home having lost ~2h. We did good on that one.

I had ignition problems last year and my dealer "fixed the problem". Only at the end of the season did I find out he had ran a new wire from the ignition directly to the coil. By passing the kill switch among other things...

So now tonight I have figured out that the point is dead and needs replacing. Looks like it burned out for lack of a ballast (direct connect from ignition to coil...). In lieu of a resistor my guy used a 22ga wire to said coil. This guys runs hot !

So, where is that ballast supposed to be ? Where can I find a new one ? Will any 1.3-1.4 ohm ballast work ?

Thanks guys !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:13 pm 
Goldfish

Answer should anybody do a search and find this topic:

This boat uses a resistor wire between the alternator and the coil. A Purple/Red wire.