www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine dies
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 am 
Guppy

I have a 1995 Four Winns 200 Horizon with an OMC Ford 5.0 with Fuel Injection. It always starts as soon as the key is turned, runs great. However, at running temperature and after left to idle for several minutes it will occasionally die and be very hard to get running again (start, die; start, die; start, die, etc.). Eventually runs OK again. Or if it doesn't die after the long idle period it may bog down (and backfire) on acceleration until it works itself through the situation. I am suspecting it is some sort of fuel flow situation. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Engine dies
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:52 am 
Tadpole

I'm a Ford Tech for 25 yr's, sounds like your IAC valve on top of the throttle body could be failing, it's purpose is to raise the idle, esp when cold, when's the last time you changed your fuel filter?, you might have some bad fuel or low fuel pressure, possibly your fuel pump could be failing?, or you have vapor lock issue
1995 Ford was still using EEC4 electronic's, does it have a test connector anywere?
Also it's possibly a spark issue, TFI module on the side of the Distributor and the Stator inside the Distributer have seen go bad, both when hot can give problems, which I think you should look first.

I'm currently trying to fix my hard start hot issue's on my 1988 Freedom 160 with 3.0l, I rebuilt the carb and still have problems, thinking the fuel pump has too much pressure, i'm on vaca all week so I'm gunna solve this!

Keep me posted on what you find

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:21 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the information. A lot to look at. It doesn't seem like a spark problem. It acts like a vapor-loc issue but I thought that problem was a thing of the past. I have changed the fuel filter and the anti siphon valve on top of the fuel tank. Would the items you listed correct a vapor-loc issue?

Enjoy your vacation and good luck with your 3.0 issue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Think simple first. ...has a bug built a home in the fuel vent opening? Other than that then all he said:)

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 pm 
Guppy

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm 
Tadpole

TX H210SS wrote:
Think simple first. ...has a bug built a home in the fuel vent opening? Other than that then all he said:)

When filling your boat if your vent is clogged it would spit gas back and be hard to fill, being a hot start issue i'd be looking into the very well known Ford TFI module issues, also is there a schrader valve fitting on your fuel rail?, all car/trucks had them back then, you can get a fuel pressure gauge and see if your losing pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:44 am 
Guppy

Thank you for the information.