www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:26 pm 
Guppy

Just picked up a new (to me) ‘97 203 Coast Runner - I know that not many were made
So I thought I’d ask and see how many of my brethren are lurking around on here. I found a few older threads but thought it’s been long enough that it was worth posting again.

The boat was kept in very good shape for 20 years old... that said, there are some quirks to deal with in the off season.

I have a ‘97 2-stroke 175 hp Evinrude Ocean Pro (extra credit if anyone knows what the “Ocean Pro” difference amounts to) and the oil reservoir is on the port side stowage behind the second battery. Anyone devise a good way to monitor the level in there? It’s impossible to check where it is - or so it seems.

It also has the live well which is completely foreign to me. I don’t know how to use it and how to set it up. I checked with 4W (b/c the Coast Runner manual is NOT available on the archive part of their website) so I have no instructions on how to use it.

Previous owner swapped out the gauge cluster for a DIY setup with just a tach and a fuel. I’d like to add some more / or recreate the original. Any pics of what I’m supposed to have?

Thanks all.

Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:21 pm 
Shark

Hi Dave
I've owned a 1997 Coast Runner for about 6 years. Love this boat! Well made, high gunwales and good in rough seas. Evinrudes were labeled Ocean Pros and Johnsons were labeled Ocean Runner, no idea of the difference between these and a traditional OB. I think the Ocean label adds a little more stainless in the engine. I have the same oil reservoir and shared your concern. I researched and discovered there was an optional sender unit for the dash to monitor the oil, but I ddint see spending $150 bucks on it. If you research you can find them. Instead I went old school and got an old dip stick from an engine. i trimmed it to size and use that to show how much oil is left. As a standard practice I keep a gallon of 2 cycle in the boat at all times. My recollection is a tank of oil equals about a tank of gas.

Here is a picture of the original gauges that have a high failure rate. If you search the forum you'll find companies that offer plug in replacements if original wiring is still there.

I don't have any live wells cant help you there.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfzWNKSVnez7FSJj2

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 am 
Guppy

Thanks Mannix. I decided to disable the VRO and just mix my oil manually. Also not interested in the extra expense. #FourStrokeFantasies

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your Bimini top (in your pic)? I’d like to get one but high gunwales plus shorter than average bow suggests it would be shorter (less tall) and longer (cockpit) than normal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

mannix2 wrote:
Evinrudes were labeled Ocean Pros and Johnsons were labeled Ocean Runner, no idea of the difference between these and a traditional OB.

These were the "salt water" versions. Basically, you're correct in that they have more materials with anti-corrosion properties in them.

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:44 pm 
Shark

Fatoldsun here are the dimensions of my bimini.

Closed position
Dead center from floor 53" tall
Sides from floor before the curve 48" tall

Open Position
5 feet long from front to back
42 inches tall from floor
78" wide from mounting eye to mounting eye
Side arms are 28" long

All dimensions with bimini sitting on the garage floor, not the floor of the boat. It still has the Four Winns factory label, this was OEM.

I may have pictures of it open it you want to see the look. It stands tall but no one ever bumps their head. I've also driven with it open for short distances without a problem.

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force