www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1994 Four Winns Fling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm 
Tadpole

I recently purchased a 1994 Four Winns Fling with the 90 hp engine. We took it out for the first time this weekend, the first time i thought it was running rather slow and took awhile too plane out. I figured with a 90 hp motor it should run fairly well. We took it out the next day and just tried too pull a knee board but the boat didn't have the speed/power too even get up on a wake board. I changed the fuel filter and it seemed too be running a little better, but i managed too suck up a lot of sand and the motor overheated! After getting towed too the boat ramp and getting the boat home i pulled the water filter off and it was full of sand, i talked too a guy at a jet ski/boat shop and he said too just flush it out and it should be ok as long as no hoses or wires were melted.
I guess what i would like too know is if i should do more than just flush it out? and is there any way too get more power out of the 90 hp motor? Thanks in advance for any help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:40 pm 
Tadpole

well, i guess no one knows anything about the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sorry, I had never even heard of it until looking through the Four Winns past product information.
In case you didn't know, you can find some information about previous models here: http://www.fourwinns.com/service/past_product

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

I saw your post the other day and meant to respond. I guess I got busy and forget to come back to it.

Four Winns made the Fling for a few years during the time that he company was owned by OMC

The OMC Turbo Jets are not known for putting out a lot of power/thrust. The jet pumps aren't all that efficient so it takes quite a bit more power to get comparable performance to a prop driven boat.

Sand and debris can not only cause issues such as you had with overheating it can also cause a lot of wear to the impeller and housing. This wear can lead to degradation in the performance also.

To me it sounds like there was something causing your boat to perform worse than it should. I would think it would be a good idea to have a tech that has experience with the OMC Turbo Jets take a quick look at the jet pump to make sure there isn't excessive wear or other damage. One indication of excessive wear would be regular cavitation when power is applied.

Does the motor rev when you give it throttle without really seeming to accelerate the boat? Does it seem like it is "sucking" air and not water?

Beyond that the powerhead that drives the impeller is pretty much a standard 90 HP 2-stroke outboard powerhead. Obviously you will need to make sure it is running properly. You could check the compression to confirm that you have good even compression on all 4 cylinders. It needs to be up around or over 100 psi minimum. The main thing is that all the cylinder are close to the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:13 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

It looks like a neat boat. I'd say it's worth it to spend a few $ and have a pro look at it. Do you have a PWC service place near you that specializes in these engines.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:40 pm 
Tadpole

The First day we took it out it didn't seem too run very good at all, and now that you have mentioned maybe it's the jet i think there is a problem there as well. But since the motor over heated it melted some wires and i can't even get it too fire or anything, so my problems keep adding up...i have found two mechanics that say they can test and fix the motor and yes there is a place near me that will check out the jet and all of that, he just won't touch the motor! So i'm going too have too take the boat 60 miles away too have the motor checked out then bring it home and have the jet checked out, if the other mechanic doesn't know anything about it. We are waiting too hear back from our insurance company too see if they are going too cover it. But thank you all for your input, hopefully we can get this thing running again soon.