www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:17 pm 
Guppy

I am restoring a 1988 261 liberator it is the gray and blue hull. The problem is that it was really oxidized. I got it 90% back with 3m compound and a buffing wheel. The only issue that i do an area and after a while i get lines in the paint it cant get it uniform in color. I have lines where it is darker then others are lighter. It is very noticeable in the sun. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it uniform. your help is appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

You're going to need to sand it in order to get to a nice fresh and even gel-coat color. Work a small area, to see what is going to work best, before going over the whole booat.

Start with 1000 grit wet/dry emery paper. Use it VERY wet. Either keep a trickling hose over your work area or use a spray bottle with water. Use a rubber sanding block on the flat areas. Do your test section and then go over it with the rubbing compound and then a finishing compound (3M Finesse-It or Meguiar's Swirl Remover or Glaze). See what you have.

If it is still not glossy and even, try 800 grit then back to 1000 and the compound and finisher. Some people say that the 800 grit is fine to use the compound with, but you do have to work a bit more withthe compound if you finish with 800 grit.

Once you get the results you are looking for ..... hit the whole thing with this process.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Scuff it up and paint it! You'll never have to worry about dull gelcoat again. The gelcoat from the 80's was crap when coloured. They fade continuously. There are really good paints on the market that have built in gloss and last for years with just simple cleaning. You are fighting an uphill battle if you choose to try and polish (and keep polished) the old gelcoat.

http://www.yachpaint.com

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive