www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Owner - 150 Freedom
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:11 am 
Tadpole

Hello All,

John Haley here in Rochester NY. Boating the Finger Lakes, Adirondack lakes, Lake Champlain, Ontario Lakes (Calabogie), 1000 Islands and occasional foolish forays into Lake Ontario.

After a looong search I just picked up a 1990 150 Freedom with an Evinrude 60hp on it. I am still sort of dizzy, it all happened in two days or so. But I checked this morning and it is sitting in my garage so I am not dreaming. I think I did everything right - visual inspection with plenty of knocking, a lot of squeezing into small spaces with a screw driver and flashlight, compression test and even a sea trial. It is a two owner boat. Seller had it for 7 years. Used it every season and says he and previous owner stored it indoors. No evidence of weather and you can read the newspaper in the reflection off the hull.

Previous boat ownership has been sailboats. A 15' West Wight Potter with a mighty 2.5 HP outboard and then an 18' Precision with an even mightier 5HP. The kids pointed out though that tubing off of a sailboat is dangerous. Right around when you burst through the 3mph mark they get bored, fall asleep and roll off. So a power boat it is!

And here is a fun claim to fame. Sea trial was in a bay off of Lake Ontario. Plenty of stuff in the water from the heavy rains we have been having. I managed to hit a log and bend the prop within first 20 minutes of boat ownership. Yup, prop was on boat unscathed for 21 years and I bust the dang thing first time out. I am still laughing (lower unit damage would have had be crying).

Anyone feel strongly about prop brands? I am inclined to stick with Aluminum or something that advertises as taking the hit rather than passing it along to the engine. Composite? I am thinking same three blade / pitch as OEM (although at 220lbs with a 60hp I did think of more blades to add torque but I am to much of a newbie to go there yet). I have been told that hammering out the damaged prop is an option but it will never be the same. I may look into it and keep it as a spare.

Any other 150 owners out there? She is small but perfect for our family of four with a tow vehicle limited to 3500lbs.

John

Rochester, NY

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:31 am 
Tadpole

The kids did not know I was bringing it home until I backed it into the driveway:

The soundtrack for this photo would be:
Son: "YES! YES! YES!"
Daughter: "Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!"

These four pictures are from the ad:
"Helm":

Cockpit:

Starboard:

Port:

Link to video of sea trial (it is short):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPt9oi8LSg

Between 10:30 and 10:50 on 5/13/11 I was monkeying with image settings so this post changed several times. Sorry about that.

Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:08 am 
email admin your custom rank

Congrats on the boat. The kids looked excited.

I swapped my aluminum prop with a stainless as my first mod.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 am 
Tadpole

I have read that a SS prop may transfer the shock of a hit to the engine. Not sure how true that is. What are advantages of SS? Performance? Durability?

Yes - kids very excited.

jh

Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:22 am 
268 Vista

Haley wrote:
I have read that a SS prop may transfer the shock of a hit to the engine.YES Not sure how true that is. Very TrueWhat are advantages of SS? Performance?YES Durability ?YES

Yes - kids very excited.

jh

Not as big of a worry about shock damage with an outboard if you hit something (depending on what it is) as with a sterndrive. But an aluminum prop will "give" a little more on impact regardless. Simply put, a 4 blade will give you better hole shot, and more pulling power for tubing,skiing and wakeboarding, but you will lose a little on WOT top speed. A 3 blade will be a good overall prop for most use.

Welcome to iFW. Nice "mini" you bought. That should be alot of fun this summer for you and your family. I have relatives in Rochester (Greece) and grew up in Western New York. You have some good boating areas within a short ride.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy