www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bottom Paint Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

My 248 Vista came with the bottom allready painted. I keep my boat on a trailer currently but will be spending a couple weeks in a slip. The problem is that the bottom paint is chipping off in several spots so my hull is starting to look like a dalmation.

My question is, can the bottom paint be "touched up" and if so, how would I go about doing that? What products would I use?

Thanks for your help

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:33 am 
Andiamo

Hi Woggy! How's the boat running for you? Regarding the bottom paint, a couple of weeks in a slip is not going to be a problem even if some of the paint has peeled off! Unless you want to touch it up for cosmetics, I would leave it alone.

If you do want to touch it up it depends on what kind of paint is on there now. I assume since it is on a trailer, it is probably not the soft "Ablative" paint, although I really should not make such an assumption. HAve someone check it out, and make sure.

If it is the regular "Hard" bottom paint, then just take a wire brush and scrape down any flaking paint and then touch it up with any inexpensive hard bottom paint. I have always had good luck with Interlux products.

If it's the soft "Ablative" paint, then you have to use the same thing. (You can cover hard paint with ablative paint but not the reverse).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:37 am 

The boat is running great. No problems to speak of other than a few minor things (head pump needs rebuilt). Thanks for asking.

We had an awesome weekend and cruise on Sunday. We went from Michigan City, IN to Chicago and back again. While in Chicago, we cruised the river downtown, ate at a riverside restaraunt, anchored by the skyline, and then cruised back. The cruise over was amazing. We left early enough before the wind started and the water was smooth as glass. What a trip. Fun times in the great lakes.

Back to the paint, what are the physical characteristics that would allow me to differentiate between the two?

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:47 am 
Andiamo

The Ablative paint is designed to gradually wear off as you use the boat, and will start to come off on a brush or rag or your hand for that matter when you scrub it, while the "Hard Paints" do not wear off, and instead release the biocide that prevents bottom growth. Here's an artice on the subject that I ran across.

http://powerboat.about.com/od/hulls/a/l ... paints.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:18 am 
Clownfish

woggy718 wrote:
The boat is running great. No problems to speak of other than a few minor things (head pump needs rebuilt). Thanks for asking.

We had an awesome weekend and cruise on Sunday. We went from Michigan City, IN to Chicago and back again. While in Chicago, we cruised the river downtown, ate at a riverside restaraunt, anchored by the skyline, and then cruised back. The cruise over was amazing. We left early enough before the wind started and the water was smooth as glass. What a trip. Fun times in the great lakes.

Back to the paint, what are the physical characteristics that would allow me to differentiate between the two?

Woggy,

not to highjack your thread but,

how far was it from Mi. City to Chitown?

We want to take a trip from Douglas MI to Chicago via the coast line this summer.

how long did it take you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:44 pm 

wrbanwal wrote:

Woggy,

not to highjack your thread but,

how far was it from Mi. City to Chitown?

We want to take a trip from Douglas MI to Chicago via the coast line this summer.

how long did it take you?

We went straight across and it was about 38 miles. The shore line is a beautiful trip as well with all the Sand Dunes. I highly recommend any southern Lake Michigan Cruises.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN