www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP RESTORE MY GELCOAT
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:27 am 
Minnow

I know that this is probably already answered, but I could not find it. I have a 1994 Four Winns 190 Horizon with bad oxidation. I have had mixed responses of how to handle it. Some say to use a oxidation remover and then a wax or polish. Others say that the only way to get rid of the oxidation is to wet sand it and then add a polish. I am new2boating and just want to take care of my things and restore the boat. I do not mind the amount of time it takes, I just want to do it right. If any of you have done this in the past and have pictures please post and explain the process you used. Thank you for your advice! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:54 pm 
230 Mike

It really depends on how "bad" it is. Once it oxidizes the only thing you can do is remove the oxidized material. If it's really bad, IMO it would be worth the money to have a professional do it, because it's going to involve a rotary buffer and products that can/will damage the boat in the wrong hands. A pro can make it look like a brand new boat, and then all you have to do is maintain it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:38 pm 
Minnow

Do you think that wet sanding it is the best idea. I am being told to start at 1000 grit then 1500 and then 2000. After that they say to do a high speed (does anyone know how fast?) buffer using polish to get the shine and protection. I have friends that have done this before and swear by it, but I just wanted to see if any of you have had any experience with it. Also, do you know of any good polish to use on the final coat? THERE IS ALSO A PRODUCT CALLED YACHT BRIGHT BUFF MAGIC THAT IS USED BY SEA RAY AND OTHER MANUFACTURED ON THEIR NEW BOATS. APPARENTLY IT STARTS AT ABOUT 400 GRIT AND THEN THE MORE YOU WORK IT THE FINER IS GETS. CAN I USE THIS INSTEAD OF WET SANDING AND THEN USE THE PRO POLISH TO SEAL IT. JUST WANTED TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:47 am 
Narwhal

As I recall, you want to use pretty slow speeds on a buffer, like 800 RPM. I don't think a random orbital will cut the oxidation, others may disagree. If you wet sand, do it by hand, not with a buffer. It's hard to advise without seeing how bad the oxidation is, got any pics?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:51 am 
Minnow

There is a product that has gotten good reviews and goes on with a paint brush. It is clear and puts the shine back on the boat. Go to http://www.poliglowproducts.com and check it out