www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:49 pm 
Shark

Has anyone had any experience using the Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher? What size is recommended 6.5" or 8' models?
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G110

I will be going through the boat this weekend; cleaning, polsihing, waxing, and protecting. I never new the importance of proper cleaning prior to reviewing the previous threads. I have pulled together a few ideas and suggestions from past posts. I am open to any other ideas any of you may have. Here is what I plan on using on my 6-month old boat. Most products I have purchased are Meguiar's brand.

1. Wash boat
Boat Wash No.43

2. Clean
One Step Cleaner Wax No50

3. Polish
Polish No.45

4. Protect/Wax
Flagship Premium Marine Wax No.63

5. Maintain
Hot Sauce Hard Water Spot Remover

6. Clear Plastics (windsheild) and Control Panels
PlastX G-123,

7. Vinyls, Rubber Gaskets, and Exterior Seats
Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner No.57

8. All Metal: Chrome Railings, Aluminum, Bright Work & Brass
Metal Polish No.93 and Metal Guard No.92

9. Hull Cleaning & Water Spot Removal
Non-Skid Deck & Hull Cleaner No.68

Items I have:
* Gripper pad, 2-sided, rough side cleans dirty pours, smooth side for second cleaning.
* Brushes (2), hard bristle for nonskid surfaces, soft bristle for the rest the boat.
* Micro fiber towels, applicators, and pads.

Need to purchase the following items:
* Mother’s Power Ball (large)
* 10” 1hp Orbital Buffer @ $39.99 or a Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher (Plug) @ $149.99
* Metal Polish No.93 @ $21.99
* Metal Guard No.92 @ $23.99
* Quik Wax Trigger No.59 @ $13.49

"annapolis' suggested a spot free water filter for hard water deposits. Is this an add-on for the outside spigot, inside the boat, or a upgraded permanent residential system.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:48 pm 
230 Mike

I have no experience with the Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher, but if pricing is close I'd recommend the Porter Cable dual action instead just for reputation and parts/repair service.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have the Porter Cable as well...great little machine. Use it on the boat and all our cars.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:53 pm 

Porter-Cable owner as well. I was going to offer to buy you a case of beer if you accomplished all of that in a weekend until I read that your boat is only 6 months old (lucky you). I am going to my boat this weekend and I just hope to get the topsides washed/bleached, compounded and waxed. The beer and the dock neighbors tend to slow me up. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 pm 

I'm about to order a porter cable, and I just got a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight in my email, so I guess its time to order this.... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92623 . That way I'll have both a DA and a regular polisher in my arsenal....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:06 am 
Shark

298VISTA2000 wrote:
Porter-Cable owner as well. I was going to offer to buy you a case of beer if you accomplished all of that in a weekend until I read that your boat is only 6 months old (lucky you). I am going to my boat this weekend and I just hope to get the topsides washed/bleached, compounded and waxed. The beer and the dock neighbors tend to slow me up. :D

I've got a three day weekend and it'll be in the mid 60's. That being said, it's quite a daunting task. I was hoping th DA would cut down on the amount of time it's going to take me to get the hull finished. Like I was saying before, as a new boat owner, I didn't realize how important the beginning and end of the season cleaning is. Fortunately, the boat is new and I haven't screwed it up yet...lol

This forum has really enlightened me to several issues and upgrades that I will address in the near future. I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.

...Now if I can just keep the neighbors and their house this weekend, I may just get this done. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 am 

Fire...what do you have that you need an rotary for? Our boat had some oxidation, and with the right pad and wax it took care of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:08 pm 

Wet Doggg wrote:
Fire...what do you have that you need an rotary for? Our boat had some oxidation, and with the right pad and wax it took care of it.

The Porter Cable will clean that right up? I'll put the rotary on the back burner and get my PC ordered tonight...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 am 

jntwlsn wrote:
Items I have:
* Gripper pad, 2-sided, rough side cleans dirty pours, smooth side for second cleaning.
* Brushes (2), hard bristle for nonskid surfaces, soft bristle for the rest the boat.

Just one note of caution. I'd be very careful about using any type of brush, even soft bristle on the boat. You may end up with very tiny scratches even if you think the bristles are soft enough. I would just eliminate the risk and use a sponge, washing mitt, etc. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:43 pm 
Shark

impulse wrote:
jntwlsn wrote:
Items I have:

Just one note of caution. I'd be very careful about using any type of brush, even soft bristle on the boat. You may end up with very tiny scratches even if you think the bristles are soft enough. I would just eliminate the risk and use a sponge, washing mitt, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Good point ref the brushes.

I pulled the trigger on the Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher after speaking with a company rep. I received it in the mail on Wednesday, and surprisingly enough, can't wait to use it. Amazon $120. I also got the W8006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad and the W9006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad for a few extra bucks. After I use the Boat Wash No.43 , One Step Cleaner Wax No.50, Polish No.45, and the Flagship Premium Marine Wax No.63, she should shine. Any trade secrets to keep in mind before I start? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:28 am 
Goldfish

I agree on not using any type of brush. Only place I use a brush is on our no-skid traffic areas. All others surfaces get the sponge treatment with a Chamois mop at the end of an extension pole.

jntwlsn - sounds like you have a great plan of attack. Just make sure you are also using the correct pad. I have the Porter Cable and have a different pad for each wax/compound I use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:17 pm 

jntwlsn wrote:
After I use the Boat Wash No.43 , One Step Cleaner Wax No.50, Polish No.45, and the Flagship Premium Marine Wax No.63, she should shine. Any trade secrets to keep in mind before I start? :lol:

You'll be able to skip the gym for a couple of days after all that! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:59 pm 
Shark

I'll have to be honest, this was a three day process but I got it all done except for cleaning the windshield. Interuptions!!!!

I ended up buying the Meguiar's DA Polisher and I am SOOOO glad I did. It made it so easy. My boat has never looked so good. I used for the DA for Polishing and the Flagship WaX on it's lowest setting as to not make any major mistakes. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I had one area where I usd the NON-Skid surface cleaner and a soft bristled brush. It cleaned up like brand new. BTW, why is my shoulders and back so sore. lol It's raining today, otherwise I would have posted some pics. DANG!

I am now scratching my list for mods. I know that's another forum section but here it goes.

1. Cougarcruisers H240 JL Audio upgrade. (WAF and endorsed). It's as good as done.
2. Tower. (WAF and endorsed). 13th Floor may be the one I choose as I can use my factory bimini. If the Tax man is good to me then it's also as good as done.
3. Trailering cover. Terry from Winnisquam Marine shall send once I pigeon hole enough cash to secretly purchase. Obviously not quite WAF'ed yet.
4. LED lights for the cockpit, cup holders, swim step?????? The red LED's look so cool! Not sure which way to go on this project...Unchartered waters for me.