www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walk me through....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 am 
email admin your custom rank

Somebody please help me by taking me through the wash , polish, wax routine... I do it but I don't seem to get stellar results like some of you. Please describe your method of application (machine or hand) and products used. Do you apply by machine and remove by hand? Are there some good rules of thumb to follow?

I have a major problem with small scratches that show up in my green gel when I am up close and it annoys me. How would I go about buffing out these scratches? the big gashes are hopeless so 'll have to learn to live with them for now. Also the gel is faded where the old decals were is there something I can do here? Should I strip off the wax somehow or is that what the polishing compound does?

I am almost getting to the point of hiring a detailing company to give it a good once over then I will just have to maintain it but I am afraid they won't do as good of a job as i am imagining and then I will just regret spending the money.

Thanks guys for the help!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

Post subject: Re: Walk me through....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:39 am 
268 Vista

I'm sure you have read this thread already, but really, all your questions are answered here. Your choice on what materials, and equipment to use. There are preferrences that seem to be different for each person. I know what works for me, but only you can decide what is best for your issues.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=876

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 am 

I've read that thread but it's confusing... It talks about, dual action, rotary buffers waxes, polishes, gripper pads, microfiber cloth etc....
I am looking for a simple step by step process that will give excellent results. This is exactly why detailing shops stay in business because the information is not clear concise and driect enough and people get scared of screwing up finishes....

I have a 6" right angle variable speed buffer/polisher that you add the terry cloth bonnets to but all they seem to do is flare out to about 9 or ten inches in diameter and then get caught on anything jagged and destroy themselves! My best results seeem to come from hand applying then buffing with the poly wheel that the bonnets are supposed to go over.... I need a smaller machine though so I will look into a porter cable unit.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 am 

Marc,
Pick up a Porter Cable 7424, and head over to http://www.properboatcare.com and pick up some of their Gel Coat Labs fine cut polish and then the micro polish and sealer. Wash your boat, put on the fine cut polish, then the micro polish/sealer, and then wax it. I use the orange pads from them with the PC7424, buff off by hand.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 am 
Goldfish

firecadet613 wrote:
Marc,
Pick up a Porter Cable 7424, and head over to http://www.properboatcare.com and pick up some of their Gel Coat Labs fine cut polish and then the micro polish and sealer. Wash your boat, put on the fine cut polish, then the micro polish/sealer, and then wax it. I use the orange pads from them with the PC7424, buff off by hand.

Thought you bought an el cheapo rotary? Did not like it?

millhaven...I used to have one of those orbital buffers as well. They do not hold a candle to the Porter Cable. You can buy different pads with different "cut" in them. There are quite a few people here who have them I believe. Makes putting the product one much easier as well as faster and more even.

Depending on the condition of the gel. I always go with a medium cut polish using a medium cut pad. Following that up with a finish wax using a no cut pad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am 
268 Vista

Yeah, what about that rotary ? Did it get the scratches/oxidation out ???

firecadet613 wrote:
Did you use a wool pad? I just picked up a rotary from Harbor Freight, I've got some oxidation the PC wouldn't get rid of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:17 am 

Thanks Joe!
The website has lots of good information...i'm off to see if I can find a 7424 and pads locally!!! Otherwise I will have to order one and wait. Canada doesn't seem to be as e-consumer savvy as the U.S.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 am 

PC user here as well. Just compounded and waxed both my vehicles over the weekend and man do they look nice. If you find the pads locally...let me know where. I have not been able to...always have to order online.

By the way...used Snappy Clean pad cleaner for the first time this weekend as well also. Worked great, will keep using it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:11 pm 

I went to Canadian Tire and they have nothing other than "Simoniz" brand machines which are random orbital but have two handles. only $60 CAD but the pad selection is limited . I want something that can grow with me as I get better. Tried the Napa store but they didn't have any machines. They had some pads for the rotary I have but they were like $50 CAD for each and they only had three choices, lambswool, polishing and cutting... Think i'll check a few other places.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:17 pm 

The Big Wolverine wrote:
Thought you bought an el cheapo rotary? Did not like it?

I've got both a PC7424 and the HF rotary. I haven't had a chance to use the HF rotary, and my wool pads just arrived Friday. Had to keep the admiral happy and go to the country expo with her over the weekend. Picked myself up a George Straight style hat....we've got VERY good seats already for when he comes to town!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:59 am 
268 Vista

Let us know how the Harbor Freight rotary does on your oxidation/dock rash. In theory, that buffer should do the job. I have heard mixed reviews on them, some last for several years and work fine, some die after two seasons, some work for awhile, then won't maintain a steady rpm. For the $54 price, it seems worth it if you can get 3 or 4 seasons out of it. For me, a rotary is the only style buffer/polisher I will own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 am 
Nauti Luv

I do mine all by hand. I use Meguires marine soap and do a thorough wash. Then, I use their Flagship marine wax. Wipe it on a few feet at a time and move along. My kids are behind me wiping it off to a great, smooth shine. Works perfect. I am too scared to use a power tool simply because I am afraid I will put swirl marks or burn the paint.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am 

I just ordered a 7424 with 8 different pads and a bottle of Collinite fibreglass polish from http://www.eshine.ca they are a Canadian company and was offering free shipping. Cost was $370 CAD (almost $50 of that is tax :( ) which compared well to the best deals I could find in the US (International shipping, brokerage and exchange add up fast!) Hopefully it will get here before the weekend. Plus if I have any issues they are only two hours away for me to go there and beat them over the head!
I watched a lot of youtube stuff last night and the guys make it look easy using one of these so I hope I can produce some good results.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:41 pm 

You can't get into any trouble with a PC unless you drop it on your boat. Remember less is better when it comes to wax and cleaners. A thin coat is enough the rest is just wasted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 pm 
Shark

Millhaven,
I received the PC 7424 for Christmas. I have yet to use it. I plan on pulling the boat out of storage next week. My plan is to wash and wax, so I look forward to hearing how PC worked for you.
Matt

2005 Horizon 200 LE - Volvo Penta 5.0GXi 270