www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gelcoat Paint ????
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am 
email admin your custom rank

I did some serious looking at my hull this past weekend and have come to the realization that I need to have the gel repaired in several areas above and below the waterline! My boat had sat in the water for the past three months and although it has been cleaned the sun side has like a cement type residue that won't come off! I tried hull cleaner, CLR and even some acetone....not sure what to try next....

Anyways here's my question--- Has anybody had experience with the awlgrip paint? I really like the look of the wide band Hull and am thinking of having the lower white gel painted green to match the top all the way down to the chine. This would eliminate the colour match of the white in several areas and update the look.

Example 1 - Cracked up swim platform

Example 2- deep gouge in green gel. there is an eqaully deep gouge in the white as well as a quarter sized piece missing that is atleast 3/16" deep too

The condition as it stands is at best "good" (honestly probably fair is more accurate) on a poor, fair, good, excellent, exceptional scale.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

Post subject: Re: Gelcoat Paint ????
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 am 

Was the boat sitting in salt water? If so, I think my hull may have the same "cement type residue" from my 3 months in a marina slip last summer.
So far, I have found that 50% muriatic acid (pool acid) works the best, followed by oxalic acid which is typically found in the boat cleaning products. The gel which you can buy at Leslies pool supply to clean calcium deposits off of pool tile works OK also. Let the acid sit on the hull for a few minutes and then wipe it off - for the tough stuff, I have used a green-scrubby (3m) to assist.

The biggest challenge that I have right now is protecting my galvenized trailer from the acid. I'm calling some boat yards in the area to see if the will hoist and acid wash my boat. However, it seems that many yards are now recycling water and not using acid at all.

Sorry - can't help with the paint question...

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 am 

My boat was sitting in fresh water but the area is pure limestone which they make into cement.... Somebody mentioned the muriatic acid method but I was leary to try it. I know my buddy has some; so I will give it a try.

I have tried CLR with the scrubbies and it wrecks the scrubby!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:56 am 

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
My boat was sitting in fresh water but the area is pure limestone which they make into cement.... Somebody mentioned the muriatic acid method but I was leary to try it. I know my buddy has some; so I will give it a try.

I have tried CLR with the scrubbies and it wrecks the scrubby!

True - wear gloves and protective eyewear and be prepared to dispose of several scrubbies in the process.

However, if you are going to bottom paint it anyway you might consider the more abrasive route of wet/dry paper?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:24 pm 

At this point, I am not planning on bottom painting the boat. The thought however did cross my mind to paint it with a white bottom coat but it is rare that I will ever leave the boat in as long as I did. The paint mentioned above would extend the colour band down to the first chine.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 pm 
230 Mike

My concern with any paint product would be that if you plan to keep the boat long enough, the paint will eventually become a maintenance item. If you're not going to keep the boat in the water like that very often, I would vote to repair all the fiberglass problems, polish & wax it well, and go use it. :mrgreen:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:19 pm 

Mike -- I agree that the paint will eventually become a problem but from what I understand the awlgrip products are extremely durable and long lasting....and probably very expensive. That being said the prep work and actual application is key to longevity.

I have just found out that my "local" marina (about a 2 mile drive away) has just hired a very experienced and reputable fibreglass guy and is looking for business ..... So I am planning on going over there and talking to them and maybe get some quotes. The condition of the gel on my boat is it's biggest downfall and if I ever expect to get near my asking price then it will need to be repaired or I will have to lower the price appropriately taking the quotes into consideration.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:20 pm 
Sting Ray

hey Millhaven, I just picked up a 2000 sundowner this weekend, it comes with a bimini and camper top but is missing the poles. Our local dealer says to go to a local canvas shop to have some made, but I think they would have to have the proper measurements to make them right. Maybe someday if your around, assuming you have a bimini I could look at yours and see what I need. I am also looking for someone in town to buff up my boat if you know anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:19 pm 

I have a bimini and your welcome to come look at it any time. I have yet to find anybody "rea$onable" to do fibreglass repairs or buffing in our area. I have bought a Porter Cable Random Orbit polisher and the special pads but have yet to try it. For serious buffing you need a straight orbital polisher and they can do damage! I did see a kid at that carwash on Division St (Mr. Kleen Up) polishing a boat the other day. Give them a call 613-546-6902. I haven't called them yet.

What size of Sundowner? What color? Where are you located and were do you plan on boating?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

Post subject: Re: Gelcoat Rejuvenator?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm 
Minnow

Anyone have any thoughts on a Gelcoat Rejuvenator? The boat I recently purchased had spent most of its life in a lift where the sun hit one side harder than the other. I'ts not a real noticble feature since you can't see both sides of the boat at the same time but I know it's there. I stopped and talked to a Skipper Buds guy and he mentioned using a Gelcoat Rejuvenator so I thought I would throw it out there if anyone has any recommendations or have used this before. I have already gone over the boat with Mcguires from Med. to Light and than wax but I know that there is a better shine waiting to get out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm 
Sting Ray

hey Millhaven, thanks for the reply, its a 235, just traded my 190 for it, it is the same colour as yours. We live north of town and spend most of our time around Westport but with the bigger boat we will spend more time in the thousand islands. I am taking the boat to the brother of my salesman from our local Four Winns dealer for a price on saturday, the only thing wrong is the topside is just starting to get chalky. It was pretty hard to go from a 2007 in mint shape to a 2000 that has been neglected, but once I have it cleaned up and fix a couple of little thing it will be all good, it's exactly what we wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:22 am 

Your not off Hwy 15 before Joyceville Pen? I just noticed a Sundowner parked in a yard as I was going out to the Pen for a site visit Thursday morning. I think it was green without a bimini.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:38 pm 
Sting Ray

Yeah thats us.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:34 pm 

Cool! I amaze myself! I travel that road to Ottawa quite often so a new boat (and the same colour as ours) jumped out at me. Small world ?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:12 am 
Sting Ray

yeah, I'm the same way, sent the boat off today to have it buffed, price seems reasonable to me , but will have to see when it is done. I also need a new hatch lid for the cuddy but the don't make that hatch any more or even replacement lids. I have to buy a whole new hatch that is going to cost around $600.00, it never ends.