www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bottom paint help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 pm 
Guppy

Can someone please help me with my bottom painting project? You know I'll buy the beer you come over and finish sanding it for me! Ok thats a little weak. I'll throw in a pizza too!!!
Seriously though I have most of the boat sanded, I am trying to remove all the paint and start over with interlux 2000 because there were spots that had peeled off completely so I wanted to do it right. My question is where I have sanded there are some points that paint is still visible. It looks like one of my kids took a pencil and drew all over it. I used a da sander with 80 grit and it looks like there may be a little paint in the fine grooves left by the sander. Do I need to remove all of this paint somehow or can I clean and prime with the 2000e ? I am a little worried if I sand anymore I might remove too much gelcoat.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Bottom paint help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:15 pm 
wkearney99

I bailed on the idea of sanding and called in a company to soda blast the old paint off. They taped a bag around the whole hull, raised it to positive pressure and went in there wearing a full suit. Carted the whole mess away too. A bit late for that for you though. I'd imagine a bit of careful work with a lighter grit would help get to those last bits of paint. If not, well, at least you know that paint is really stuck on there.

If the paint was peeling then it's likely the surface wasn't prepped properly or the paint wasn't applied under correct conditions (temp, humidity, amount of time between layers, etc). Make sure you don't repeat the same mistakes. I found talking with Interlux helpful. They may be able to give you some suggestions on dealing with your problem.