www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 am 
Tadpole

Trim sender switch problems? I was recently told by a dealer that the trim sender switch was obsolete and no longer available on my 1991
Horizon 200 and that it could not be fixed. They also said there was not an aftermarket part for it. However, Sierra Marine Parts makes a
replacement for it. The part number is:18-7634 It is for all Cobra models 1986-1993. Retail is $154.00, but on line you can get it for about $102.00.
I thought that was a bit much for a switch, so I tore mine apart. The casing is filled with silicon and can easily be taken out. Inside the switch is an
AB (Allen/Bradley) potentiometer. The poteniometer is wired with a small resistor between the terminals. The part number of the potentiometer is not
traceable because AB was sold to Rockwell and Rockwell did not keep any records on poteniometers used on particular customer orders like OMC.
However, after testing resistance values on the trim gauge (as my poteniometer was shot and not testable) I found that a $2.99 1K ohm potentiometer from
radio shack worked just fine. You do not need the additional resistor AB put on theirs. I notched the the potentiometer shaft to accept the tilt lever, attached two new wire leads, filled it with black silcon from Home Depot and respliced the wires. WORKS GREAT!!! Total cost of repair: $4.89 which included the silicon. Go figure, huh?

Last edited by golden on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Broken Trim Switch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 am 
230 Mike

Nice first post. 8)

Some pics of this procedure would've been nice. Do I understand you replaced a pot with a single value resistor? Did you use a standard 1/4W resistor, or something higher?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 am 
Tadpole

Alpha, CTS or any other brand of pot will work as well. There is no need to use an external resistor with a 1K pot.
Use the center tap and the right hand side of the pot for hook up. I did take some pictures and will post them shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm 
230 Mike

golden wrote:
There is no need to use an external resistor with a 1K pot.

Yeah, I thought you were saying you replaced the dead pot with a resistor, which had me scratching my head a little. Thanks.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:02 am 
email admin your custom rank

Whoah! This sounds like what is going on w/ my trim.... I can only operate the trim/tilt if I first depress the "Trailer" swithch, the press the trim button on the throttle. I have a '96 238 Vista/ 5.7 Volvo DP. I'm about to bring it for service where the new trim solenoid that's mounted on the starboard side of the drive is to be replaced. Is this the same problem??

Thanks, STeve

Previous boats; 91 Cobia 19' Cuddy, 87 Starcraft 16' BR,
67 Winner BR, 65 Arrow 14'