www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge Area Gunk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:06 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Hey,

After leaving the boat in the water for a few weeks the bilge area starts to accumulate water from our trips, vest dripping and toys thrown into the ski locker, which is no big deal. However, the area does have an oily film and brown muck; no clue how to describe it. I know the film isn’t gas, no smell, and I do not think it is any engine oil since I have checked for leaks, but could possibly be a very slow leak some place.

What could this stuff be or should I even care since once we take the boat out I clean the entire area?

Thanks for the help,
Matt

Post subject: Re: Bilge Area Gunk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

it can be oil, depending on where the water is coming in at. Not straight oil, but anything from body oil (suntan lotions and such) can be washed down to the bilge. There is a bilge cleaner that you can put in your bilge and take the boat for a spin to sloch it around, you can even scrub down there but be careful for any wiring, bilge pumps, etc, you dont want to dislodge them.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:41 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Thanks for the reply.

Never thought about all of the people stuff that could be washed into the bilge, we do have some pretty dirty friends...just kidding :mrgreen:

Since I usually clean the area out once we pull the boat out of the water, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that would eliminate the occurance than just always cleaning.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:12 am 
Narwhal

I've had similar issues and thoughts about the stuff in there. SUre wish there was a way to know for sure that no gas, oil, or trim pump fluid was in there - something along the lines of a pH test strip would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:00 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Jim_R wrote:
I've had similar issues and thoughts about the stuff in there. SUre wish there was a way to know for sure that no gas, oil, or trim pump fluid was in there - something along the lines of a pH test strip would be nice.

Glad to see I am not the only one having this issue. I mean glad in a bad happy sense. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:48 pm 
Narwhal

Last week I lifted the mesh in the ski locker and couldn't believe the gunk I found. It was more like muck than gunk. Just now I finally realized that it must be coming from the anchor locker. I keep my boat clean and covered when not in use, so I just couldn't figure out where it came from. I've finally come to the conclusion that it's gotta be crud from the anchor. I pretty much always give the anchor a few extra dips to rinse away any crud, but some must remain. Obviously this stuff is making it's way through the ski locker into the bilge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:39 am 

Quote:
Obviously this stuff is making it's way through the ski locker into the bilge.

That might not be the case... I think gunky water is coming from bilge to locker when the boat rocks..... if you fill bilge with water you will see the water level of ski locker rise as well... I use bilge cleaner and rinse off....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 am 

I throw some bleach in there too along with bilge cleaner and let it sit a while. I really brightens it up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:37 pm 
Narwhal

Flying Sushi wrote:
Quote:

That might not be the case... I think gunky water is coming from bilge to locker when the boat rocks..... if you fill bilge with water you will see the water level of ski locker rise as well... I use bilge cleaner and rinse off....

Good point, but it's always stumped me as to how the gunk gets into the bilge in the first place. Assuming no fluid leaks from the engine, I think I'm on the right track.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:26 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Jim_R wrote:
Flying Sushi wrote:
Quote:

Good point, but it's always stumped me as to how the gunk gets into the bilge in the first place. Assuming no fluid leaks from the engine, I think I'm on the right track.

So I had a great Saturday....NOT. I have a trim pump leak and I bet a Power Steering leak. So I think I figured out why I have gunk in the bilge area. The Power Steering reserve has always been lows this season and over the past 3 months I have added three bottles. So it has to be going some where and I think this is the oily film that is in the bilge area. The problem now is locating the leak. I spent 3 hours looking at the engine, pipes, hoses, pullies...anything and everything in there to see if I could find a leak or a oily hose. NOTHING !

As for the gunk or muck or whatever this crap is, I am still at a loss.

As for the Trim Pump. There are two bolts screwed into a face plate that covers four pipes. When I put the drive all the way up oil starts to leak at a plastic circle on the right hand side of the cover. Also, when I started to unscrew the face plate more oil started to leak out. I think and hope the O-rings have gone bad and they just need to be replaced.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 am 
Narwhal

Any updates?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 pm 
Shark

If you ever take your boat to any of the western locations where they are trying to prevent the spread of invasive species such as zebra and quagga mussels you must first pass an inspection (and pay hefty inspection fees). The bilge needs to be totally dry and clean enough to serve food on or you will be required to undergo a decontamination consisting of more fees and washing inside and out with noxious chemicals. So keeping the bilge and all water collection areas such as anchor lockers, anchor lines, ski lockers, bilges, etc. clean enough to pass a "white glove" test is just a way of life in the western US if you boat in different lakes. The only good out of this (other than keeping the mussels out of western waters) is that I now have an excuse for keeping the entire boat completely clean. One all the bilge gunk is gone it is relatively easy to keep it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 am 
2007 200 Horiz

No updates yet. Waiting on VP to inform the marina if they will help correct this issue.