www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm 
Shark

I've read a ton on this and hopefully not reposting. I know there are several different cleaners people use. My wife uses a cleaner call Kaboom on our bathrooms some. For kicks on tried it on our our H220 we just picked up. I only used it on about a 12"x"12" area to be sure it would be safe and it was incredible how quickly it cleaned it up. Anyone have any problems using this kind of stuff on the boat? I can't imagine any problems would arise... or is there simply a lot better stuff?

All the best!
S....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:18 pm 
wkearney99

Bear in mind that your boat fiberglass is covered in what's basically a plastic resin. Some chemicals will greatly shorten the lifespan of plastic and related materials. They basically destroy what are called plasticizers in the resin, making it brittle. Bleach is one big no-no, as is acetone in anything other than small, quick applications. I've no idea what's in Kaboom, but considering it's general application in the bathroom I'd be cautious about using it on the boat surfaces. Making it look cleaner by destroying the surfaces isn't good in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:43 pm 
Shark

Thanks Bill! I'll stick with the boat cleaners... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 am 
email admin your custom rank

In researching hull cleaners and then polishes and waxes, I found more than one reference to a product called "On & Off". Removes water line stains, loose gelcoat chalking, rubber stains, rust stains, etc. Chemically cleans the hull to be ready for polishing & waxing. West Marine carries it.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:52 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I am only using b-room cleaners in lockers, and other areas to keep mildew under control. I've noticed it in a few areas that water will accumulate, and very little air flow. This seems to be helping... but again, not used on the outside of the boat.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:37 pm 
Shark

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:01 pm 
Shark

Hey Shawk,

I can't believe you found "Kaboom". As far as it damaging anything, it's the hot ticket and a well kept secret on the West Coast. I used it on my prior 2002 H200 for about 5 years, and when I sold her in May of this year she still looked like new! I've got a bottle in my new H260 it takes off water spots like magic. Beware, though, there are a lot of other "imitators" in purple bottles that do NOT work at all. Use what you feel comfortable with, but personally I have no problem with it. I was at our local grocery store last week and had a bottle I was buying and the clerk says to me "You may think I'm crazy, but we use that stuff on our boat!" I just smiled.........

2007 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 4x4

Previous:
2002 Four Winns H200
5.0GXI 270HP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 pm 
Shark

scotchwater wrote:
Hey Shawk,

I can't believe you found "Kaboom". As far as it damaging anything, it's the hot ticket and a well kept secret on the West Coast. I used it on my prior 2002 H200 for about 5 years, and when I sold her in May of this year she still looked like new! I've got a bottle in my new H260 it takes off water spots like magic. Beware, though, there are a lot of other "imitators" in purple bottles that do NOT work at all. Use what you feel comfortable with, but personally I have no problem with it. I was at our local grocery store last week and had a bottle I was buying and the clerk says to me "You may think I'm crazy, but we use that stuff on our boat!" I just smiled.........

:D :D :D :D Heyyyy... I'm no crazy then. It really did a great job on the small area I used it on... but I was afraid of doing something I'd regret. Nice to know that others have used it. Once I get the hull clean this time around... maintaining it will be a piece of cake. Thanks!
All the best!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:28 pm 
Dolphin

What alot of people use is a toilet bowel cleaner with Oxalic acid in it (this is the same active ingredient as most hull cleaners)--A brand called "the works" comes to mind. Just be warned Galvanized trailers do not like this stuff so water down, cover, and when done rinse the trailer. Just remember (as with a hull cleaner) you are spraying acid on the hull so rinse it first, apply cleaner, scrub, then rinse, and rinse again, then maybe rinse a 3rd time.