www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meguiar's Products
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:09 am 
Guppy

Hi...Ive got alot of Meguiar's products for my car..car wash, Deep Crystal paint cleaner, polish, and carnuba wax. Does anyone know if these can be used for a boat. They all say that they are clear coat safe, but I don't know what they may do to gel coat. I also have some of the Leather conditioner and cleaner. Is that any good for the vinyl? Thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm pretty much in the same boat.. 8) Learning about all the care products and such. The one thing I do know so far is that the carnuba wax is a no no. From what I can gather it will yellow over time and discolor the gel coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:52 pm 
230 Mike

I doubt they'd hurt your boat, but IMO you'd be better off investing in a couple of marine-specific products instead. Meguiar's Flagship wax is outstanding and has UV blockers in it to help keep your gel coat from oxidizing. There are also some excellent gel coat care products at http://www.properboatcare.com that I've used and recommend. I have no connection with any of these except as a happy customer.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:26 am 

I insure a body shop supply house here in town. They sell a wide aray of products for cars and boats. In conversations with him, he stated that any good car wax will work on a boat and they are all the same. I think he was a little off his rocker personally.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:41 pm 
AGE < LOA

Just a heads up, DON"T use Carnuba - it even states in the manual it will yellow your gelcoat. The gelcoat is much much more porus then the enamel finish on your car. I'm going to try the meguires compounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:30 am 
Mental Floss

I've used the new Scotch Guard wax that West Marine has. Easy on, easy off and seems to last long in the Florida sun

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:53 am 
2007 200 Horiz

I have to put a plug in here for Mequiar's!

Spent all last Saturday working on the boat to try and get a good base of wax and protection before the boating season and all of the elements start to show their pretty faces.

I bought a complete set, wash, polish, wax, vinyl, glass, and so on. The products where easily applied and really made the finish look amazing. However, I do not know how it will stand up as of yet, but the first step is a 10 ou of 10.

Just my two cents. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am 
AGE < LOA

Has anyone tried their buffer and a light compound over the non slip surface? I know mine could use some conditioning but it seems like that will tear the buffer pad right up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:04 am 
2007 200 Horiz

mkivbren wrote:
Has anyone tried their buffer and a light compound over the non slip surface? I know mine could use some conditioning but it seems like that will tear the buffer pad right up?

Have you tried just the Non-Skid stuff?

The first outting we went we had our shoes on, I know stupid move, but we left a lot of black marks that just wouldn't come out. Sprayed the Non-skid on the back and left it for a few mins and then just rinsed it off...followed with a good washing and then re-did the Non-skid. Looks great!
just an idea, you might have already tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:55 am 
AGE < LOA

Havent tried it. I want to try to condition the gelcoat a bit with compound since it's chalking a little on the non skid deck. It's not really marked up just needs compounding. Does that stuff condition the porous gelcoat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:53 am 
2007 200 Horiz

mkivbren wrote:
Havent tried it. I want to try to condition the gelcoat a bit with compound since it's chalking a little on the non skid deck. It's not really marked up just needs compounding. Does that stuff condition the porous gelcoat?

That I do not know. Maybe check out Mequiar's boat/rv website...that might give you some more insight. More than i can give you, sorry.

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:07 pm 

Save the leather conditioner for your car and get some vinyl protectant like 303. Most auto products can be used on your boat. Bleach white tire cleaner works good on non skid surfaces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:28 pm 
AGE < LOA

I picked up the Meguiars oxidation remover yesterday along with the flagship premium marine wax. I'll be applying the ox remover with my orange cutting pad and orbital buffer and then sealing it with the marine wax the random orbital porter cable and a finishing pad. Curious to see how it comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:10 pm 
Guppy

I would stick to using marine care products for marine use and automotive products for automobile. Reason being is gelcoat and a base coat/clear coat are different technologies. A gelcoat is much harder then a clear coat system. Abrasives in the products are differents to get the results you desire.

These three products I use alot of and get awesome results.

Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover
Color Restorer
Megs Premium Marine Wax

Also becareful using a cutting pad on gelcoat. Severe oxidation it removes it, but can cause some micromarring where its hard to completly remove due to the gelcoat being extremely hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:38 pm 
AGE < LOA

Haven't had any issues with that thusfar but I'll watch for it. I'm actually prepping a few areas with 2K grit wetsand, so that would knock it down if that happens.