www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warranty worthless???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I recently pulled and cleaned my father in-laws 2007 larson senza and found multiple quarter sized holes/cracks
on the bottom of the hull under the waterline. He was told by the place where he purchased the boat that
after inspecting the pictures he had scaned over to them that this was a manufacturing defect, but that since
Larson had gone bankrupt that the warranty for the hull was void that they will see what thay can do!! I found
this to be disconcerning because how many of us Four Winns owners could be in this situation because of Genmars
bankruptcy. It seems as though he's Sol any comments or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

1997 Horizon QXsold
2000 248 Vistasold
2002 Key West 2020WA sold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 pm 
Clownfish

Nick - Sorry to hear about your situation. All I can offer is be patient and persistent. Last September I took my boat back to the dealer (Riverside Marine - Essex, MD) at the end of the season. I had a constant leak coming into the bilge from BOTH outdrive transom brackets. They were very good to me and eventually gained approval from Four Winns (Genmar) to repair under warranty. They pulled both engines, drives and transom brackets. Found an uneven surface on the transom and re-glassed the entire transom wall to ensure a flush fit of the transom brackets. Several thousand dollars latter (warranty covered!!), it was fixed and back in the water by early April. I had a beautiful (and dry bilge) boating season. Hope you have a similar experience. Take pictures, send letters and frequently check-in with the dealer. It will hopefully pay off. Good luck.

2007 Vista 358

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:03 am 
268 Vista

sachem29 wrote:
I found
this to be disconcerning because how many of us Four Winns owners could be in this situation because of Genmars
bankruptcy.

During a bankruptcy, it is up to the new owners whether they choose to cover existing warranties. In the case of
Four Winns, Platinum Equity/Project Boat Holdings has decieded to honor warranties. So there should not be an issue
with Four Winns owners, as long as you go through your dealer.

In the case of Larson, they offer a structural hull warranty for the lifetime of the boat. In most cases, “lifetime” refers to the length of time the original purchaser owns the boat. Larson, however, gives lifetime coverage for the first and second owners.

Now the catch here, is if Irwin Jacobs and his JD Acquisitions has decided to honor these pre-bankruptcy warranties. I suspect
that they are. As has been said, your dealer is the one who must go to bat for you to get this resolved. IMO, the worst
case scenario is that the warranty will not be honored, but that a "goodwill" repair by your dealer could be arranged.

If you have some difficulty getting this resolved, you can also contact BoatUS Consumer Protection Bureau at 703-461-2856 or e-mail consumerprotection@BoatUS.com.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 pm 

Paul358v/Cap'n Morgan

Thanks for the kind words and info. I'll keep you posted on how we make out on this, hopefully persistance
will pay off time will tell. Glad to hear that Four Winns dealers are treating you right.

1997 Horizon QXsold
2000 248 Vistasold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 am 

Just got word today that the marina where he bought the boat from will fix the hull in the spring. Good news!

1997 Horizon QXsold
2000 248 Vistasold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:44 am 
Clownfish

Great news!

2007 Vista 358

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 am 
Guppy

Warranty means on type of chit to customer.Also, it's give items requiring replacement or repair. they also give for warranty about use, or exposure are not covered". Warranty is one type of scam for customer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 am 

kelvineendru wrote:
Warranty means on type of chit to customer.Also, it's give items requiring replacement or repair. they also give for warranty about use, or exposure are not covered". Warranty is one type of scam for customer.

WTF?? Is that English? My apologies if you are from another country, but this makes no sense.