www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:56 pm 
Goldfish

I am a little shocked. I leaned over in my 220 Horizon and and where I put my hand on the side to hold my weight, my thumb went right through the gelcoat. It is now a hole about the size of a quarter. How can this happen? I've had many boats, but have never experienced anything like this. It is a 2007 and I did buy the extended warranty. Will fourwinns stand behind something like this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 pm 
Villiage Idiot

When the gelcoat at the mount for my tower cracked last year, that was NOT covered under warranty, since it was considered cosmetic in nature. If it was the hull, for sure; but the extended warranty for the drive train... not gonna cover it. Besides, I'm still fighting with an engine prob, and the extended warranty isn't gonna cover a dime! :evil:

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:48 pm 
Seahorse

Eagle, our 2007 had a similar problem on the ladder storage area. they called it a "void". at the end of the 2007 season our dealer repaired the "void", under warranty. hope the extended warranty you have covers it. they seemed like it wasn't a big deal though. they did a great job and i can't tell exactly where the repair was made.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:10 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I spoke with Fourwinns and they need the dealer to submit pictures and quote for the claim. We will see. I would never buy another boat from a manufacturer that does not stand behind their product and this is clearly a manufacturing flaw. I hope they stand behind their product. I can pay to have it fixed, but I need to know I bought from a reputable company. I will keep you all posted and thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:06 pm 
Goldfish

Fourwinns will not fix it. Simply put, will never recommend another one nor will I ever buy another one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm 
230 Mike

It sucks, and I can definitely understand why you think it should be covered; I probably would too. But the fact is that the fiberglass warranty isn't very long, extended warranties don't cover it at all, and most other brands are no better. Fiberglass is just kind of a crappy material when it comes right down to it. This is an example of how a really good dealer can sometimes be your best friend, fixing things like that when they aren't obligated to.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 pm 
Goldfish

Well they said that these occur during the molding process which in my mind means it is clearly a manufacturing error. They boast about quality- intellegent engineering, quality manufacturing (from their website). Don't say it if you cannot back it up. It isn't the cost, it is the principle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It's disappointing for sure, in view of how much these boats cost, but as noted, the warrantee probably doesn't cover these kinds of defects for long. If it's any comfort, I have seen examples of this as noted at http://www.thehulltruth.com on some high priced salt water boats as well. I'd just find a good 'glass shop and let them do it, chances are you will need some work over the life of the boat anyway. I think that because many fiberglass boats are still hand made largely, you will see these kinds of problems even on more expensive boats. BTW, on my old 88, the stringers were not even 'glassed all the way up, the tops of them was raw wood and there was a lot of rot in this boat when I re-did the deck back in 05-06. At least I know how it was put back together....their way of attaching the deck to the stringers, was hundreds of nasty rusty staples, I used stainless steel wood screws and 3M 4200.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II