www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WAX!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:44 am 
268 Vista

Your welcome, glad it went good for you, and you are happy with the results.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I just switched brands after a rep gave me a bottle. This is really good stuff, best i've seen.
http://leveragepolish.com/products.php

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 pm 
Dolphin

Did you notice much more of a gloss.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 am 

B.Nichol wrote:
Did you notice much more of a gloss.

I did. It looks very deep.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:15 pm 
230 Mike

There were two different 3M products mentioned earlier in this thread, 09026 and 09061. The one Cap'n linked to at BW is the 09061. Which is the one recommended?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:23 pm 

Cap'n how often do you compound and/or wax your boat?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:03 am 

I use a Meguiar's Pre-Cleaner Wax and then follow that up with the Flagship product. I think that waxing has alot to do with technique and consistency of application. I am not a good waxer! I get gung-ho for the first ten feet of one side then I get bored and tired and rush to finish the rest. The little details help too. (getting all the wax out from under the rubrail etc...) I have tried a buffer with non-spectacular results. So the bottom line of my rant is this...No mater what product you use, theresults will be based on your skill levels and expertise. I think people should use what they have easily and economically available.

Anybody care to post a video or link to a "waxing tutorial"

BTW, I find the white gelcoat the hardest to wax because it is easy to lose where you stopped

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:02 pm 
268 Vista

firecadet613 wrote:
Cap'n how often do you compound and/or wax your boat?

I compound the boat in the spring before launch. Then follow immediately with Makita buffer and the wax I mentioned above. I do wax the transom mid season, as it faces the sun, and is a little bit duller than the rest of the boat after 3 months. The rest of the boat shines fine until I put it away in October. Our boat is in a slip all season, so it is exposed to the elements.
Those of you that store in a garage, rack, or non sunny area, could probably get away with a light coat of wax each season before launch time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:48 pm 
230 Mike

Cap'n clarified that the wax he's using is:

Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax
09061 - 16oz.
09062 - 32oz.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 am 

Nanowax. It is a car wax made by EagleOne and my boat tech told me to use it. Unfortunately, you have to put it on and take if off by hand. Great shine and it lasts a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:25 pm 
268 Vista

Nanowax is used primarily for automotive applications where buffing swirl marks are present .
It also contains carnuba wax, which if you look earlier in the thread, is not good for gelcoat, as it will yellow the gelcoat after repeated applications over time.

From the Eagle One web site:
Quote:
The polishing agent particles used in this formula are nano-sized and are much more efficient at filling and sealing scratches, creating a more even surface for the microemulsion Carnauba wax.

There are many brands of wax out there to choose from. If it was me, I would not use an automotive wax w/carnuba on my all white boat. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm 

from the FAQ's section of the Meguiar's website regarding Marine and RV care:

Q: HOW SHOULD I CARE FOR THE FINISH OF MY BRAND NEW BOAT OR RV?
A: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is especially true for boats and RV's. Washing and waxing a new boat or RV is easy and will make ongoing maintenance much easier.

Wash your boat or RV frequently with a wash specially formulated for gel coat. Regular household detergents, if used, will strip your wax protection and accelerate oxidation.

Wax your new boat or RV immediately with a high quality wax formulated for gel coat surfaces, then at the beginning and ending of each season to keep it looking sharp and its finish protected.

Q: HOW DO I RESTORE AN OXIDIZED FINISH ON MY BOAT OR RV?
A: Oxidation occurs when environmental exposure dries out the gel coat, causing it to lose both color and gloss. It is necessary to remove all the dead gel coat before lasting high gloss can be restored.

Lightly oxidized gel coat can be easily restored with a liquid, non-abrasive cleaner/wax such as Meguiar's No. 50 Cleaner Wax. Unlike most cleaners, this one-step product cleans chemically without using harsh abrasives. This is the only product properly maintained gel coat will ever need.

Moderate to heavily oxidized gel coat will require more intense measures. Depending on the severity, the object to remove the layer of oxidized gel coat will require a cleaner or compound. After the oxidation has been removed, follow with a high gloss polish to restore gloss, and then a long-lasting wax to protect the newly restored finish. A simple, 3-step system can be found in Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration System, which includes a cleaner, polish and wax.

Q: HOW SHOULD I CLEAN VINYL ON MY BOAT?
A: Vinyl surfaces such as seats, pads, sidewalls, fenders, rub rails, etc. are constantly exposed to the elements. If they are not properly cared for, they can deteriorate and become unattractive. It's important to clean your vinyl often to remove ingrained dirt and grime with a product such as Meguiar's No. 57 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner & Protectant. Heavily soiled surfaces might require a stronger cleaner and scrubbing with a nylon brush. Vinyl also needs protection from the elements such as the sun's ultraviolet rays. It's important to frequently apply a vinyl protectant to keep the surface from fading and cracking.

Q: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AUTOMOTIVE WAXES AND MARINE/RV WAXES?
A: Meguiar's Marine/RV products are specially formulated for gel coat and linear polyurethane (LP) surfaces, which are chemically different than automotive paints. Modern gel coats and LP coatings are harder and more water resistant than automotive paints. Their unique chemical compositions demand special ingredients that are specific to these marine uses and formulated for use in marine environments. Automotive products will not achieve the same high quality results on boats or RVs.

Q: HOW DO I CLEAN CLEAR PLASTIC SURFACES INCLUDING EISENGLASS AND PLEXIGLAS?
A: Clear plastic surfaces such as windshields, bridge enclosures, dodgers, cockpit curtains and portholes are easily scratched and dulled, obscuring visibility. This problem is aggravated when the wrong cleaning products are used. To restore clarity to dull and scratched surfaces, it is essential to use a cleaner specially made for clear plastic surfaces. Meguiar's has developed very effective plastic cleaners (Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner and Meguiar's PLASTX™) that remove scratches without causing scratching themselves. They are even safe on delicate LEXAN® polycarbonates as well as PLEXIGLAS® acrylic surfaces. To help protect against rescratching, apply a safe polish like Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish frequently. This will help to keep the surface protected against the elements.

Q: HOW DO I MAINTAIN THE APPEARANCE OF THE BRIGHTWORK ON MY BOAT?
A: The metal surfaces on your boat are extremely important in your maintenance program. Rusting and corrosion not only destroy the appearance and performance of metal parts, but also stain surrounding surfaces. To clean all metals including chrome, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, copper and magnesium, Meguiar's makes an All Metal Polish that cleans and brightens the surface and applies a light layer of protection from corrosion. Special care should be given to aluminum, brass, copper and magnesium because they oxidize quickly if left unprotected. They can also be scratched easily if the wrong cleaner is used. These soft metals are best kept in "like new" condition if protection is applied. Meguiar's newly introduced, breakthrough formula, Metal Guard, will apply a microscopic, long-lasting protective barrier to these metals that will prevent both marring and fading. This product should be applied at the beginning and end of each season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:58 pm 

I had great results this last fall using:

I added the powerball to my routine also and absolutely loved using it. I just put my drill on slow speed. I feel like it apply's the wax much more even and deeply than I can by hand. I had no issues with wax slinging either.

Then I got one of these hook and loop to attach to an old crapsman sander/polisher I have to bring up the shine after I've wiped everything clean with microfiber. Works awesome to bring up the shine:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 am 
Minnow

Just went to a long seminar on boat maintenance... for what it is worth the key points by the guy summarized:
(sorry some of this may so basic as to sound stupid but...)

1. Fiberglass has pours, most always have wax in the pours or they fill with dirt, grease etc. This is the main reason a boat looks bad over time.
wax, wax, wax.

2. If those pours have dirt it must be taken out.

3. Use First Coat Mcguires Marine Cleaner Wax. 2nd coat a paste wax also from same manufacture.

4. Use a Gripper Pad. it is rough on one side, use the rougher side because it cleans the pours. If doing 2 coats use the smooth side for 2nd.

5. Many people wash with the wrong product. Usually the wrong product cuts wax taking off your wax.

6. Brushes -- must have 2, one soft and one hard. Use the hard on nonskid surfaces. Use the soft on the rest of the boat.

7. Stainless - use the same cleaner wax.

8. Towels --use microfiber only

9. Hard water causes lots of damage to the boat and stains take hours to clean. If your marina has hard water get a "spot free water filter"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 am 
Seahorse

Has anyone used Buff Magic and Pro Polish? It is preferred on some of the other boards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next