www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:03 am 
Tadpole

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to Four Winns. I just picked up my new 2015 H210 SLX. So far I am very happy with it but was wondering about upgrading the sound system. I did not do the $2500 premium sound system upgrade and was wondering if I should have? I would like to add two rear speakers to the transom as well as a transom control. my questions are as follows:

1. Is the Infiniti PRV250 deck capable of running this and sounding ok or should I get a different one?

2. I was told I need a 6channel amplifier??? I would like to have a switch on the dash to turn on/off the transom speakers. Can I use the aux switches?

3. If I use the Infiniti deck do I bother with better quality amplifier /speakers or won't it matter? I mean if the main unit is only so good are you wasting money with higher end sub components like JL M600/6 amplifier?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

That deck is not capable of using wired remotes. It will not work for you.

My dream setup:

Kenwood KMR-M312BT and use Kenwood KCA-RC55MR wired remotes.
Amp wise? I would use a JL Audio M400/4
Speaker wise? Four Polk MM691 to replace the OEM units. Using 6x9's you wouldn't require a subwoofer but you gotta hack up your boat to make the speakers fit.
Replace all speaker wire with "real" speaker wire. 14 gauge. Plus it will all have to be re-run from the rear anyways.
Run amp as close to the batteries as possible. You want the amp ground wire no longer than 6ft to avoid noise.

That right there alone will make your ears bleed with perfect sound quality and enough bass to piss people off 50yds away. You won't need transom speakers. A buddy has pretty much the exact setup on his boat. 5 boats away parked on a beach and it's still loud and crystal clear with nice bass. It's stupidly amazing how much better high end audio equipment works compared to OEM.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for the reply. I found a transom remote that would work with the Infiniti deck part number rem50B. And just to be clear I would love to do what you have listed but I don't want to spend $2-3k. Also the reason for the transom speakers with on/off switch is so that we can turn them off if we don't want to disturb others. In my experience because of the interior speakers you need to have the stereo too loud to be able to hear it if you are on a sand bar outside the boat and then of people are still on the boat they can't talk with each other because it's too loud. I don't need the best of the best bit just want something that sounds ok and eliminates the. Issues I listed above. I don't really care to be the loudest on the lake or have the best system. It's just not that important to me. Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 am 

snoman wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I found a transom remote that would work with the Infiniti deck part number rem50B. And just to be clear I would love to do what you have listed but I don't want to spend $2-3k. Also the reason for the transom speakers with on/off switch is so that we can turn them off if we don't want to disturb others. In my experience because of the interior speakers you need to have the stereo too loud to be able to hear it if you are on a sand bar outside the boat and then of people are still on the boat they can't talk with each other because it's too loud. I don't need the best of the best bit just want something that sounds ok and eliminates the. Issues I listed above. I don't really care to be the loudest on the lake or have the best system. It's just not that important to me. Thanks for your input!

Without spending decent money there is no upgrade to what you currently have. I wouldn't get that Infiniti deck, no way. Infiniti decks are not known for sound quality (neither are their speakers).

To run aftermarket speakers you will need an amplifier. No ifs/ands/butts about it. To not hack up your boat you can run Polk MM651UM speakers. Polk Audio amps are just as good as JL and cheaper. Connect 4 main boat speakers to the 4 channel amp, and the two transom speakers to the 2 channel amp on a switch. Wire 2nd amp on/off remote wire to whatever you please. Accessory on dash or a switch in the transom.

Polk Audio MM651UM speakers cost $160 a pair from a reputable reseller:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_147 ... M651UM.htm

Polk Audio D4000.4 amp $250
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_398 ... 000.4.html

Polk Audio D2000.2 amp $180
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_398 ... 000.2.html

Kenwood KMR-M312BT $120
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_915 ... 312BT.html

Kenwood KCA-RC55MR $102
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_464 ... C55MR.html

That's almost the bare minimum of what a person can do to get an actual "upgrade" on what you currently have. Even at normal volume levels you'll be shocked on how much better it sounds compared to what you have. I'm talking about it will sound better than most high end factory luxury car audio.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:17 am 

this is very similar to my boat set up and YES it will make your ears VERY HAPPY. spend the money and you are good for years. light years better than factory or even a factory upgrade which is a joke..

We had a saying at the shop that i used to work at. "A factory Bose system sounds great until you hear an actual system and then it is simply dollar store bull shit." these Polks are phenomenal.. Also i would NOT go 6x9 simply on the hacking and the principal of future upgrades now you are locked into a 6x9 which i hate. stay round and stay 6.5. your options are better and they simply look better..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:22 am 

Jdpber wrote:
We had a saying at the shop that i used to work at. "A factory Bose system sounds great until you hear an actual system and then it is simply dollar store bull shit."

Bose AKA "Blows"

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 am 
Tadpole

Thanks guys for the great suggestions! Now that's a system I can deal with "price" wise and the quality I'm sure will be great also.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 am 
Tadpole

ric wrote:
snoman wrote:

Without spending decent money there is no upgrade to what you currently have. I wouldn't get that Infiniti deck, no way. Infiniti decks are not known for sound quality (neither are their speakers).

To run aftermarket speakers you will need an amplifier. No ifs/ands/butts about it. To not hack up your boat you can run Polk MM651UM speakers. Polk Audio amps are just as good as JL and cheaper. Connect 4 main boat speakers to the 4 channel amp, and the two transom speakers to the 2 channel amp on a switch. Wire 2nd amp on/off remote wire to whatever you please. Accessory on dash or a switch in the transom.

Polk Audio MM651UM speakers cost $160 a pair from a reputable reseller:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_147 ... M651UM.htm

Polk Audio D4000.4 amp $250
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_398 ... 000.4.html

Polk Audio D2000.2 amp $180
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_398 ... 000.2.html

Kenwood KMR-M312BT $120
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_915 ... 312BT.html

Kenwood KCA-RC55MR $102
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_464 ... C55MR.html

That's almost the bare minimum of what a person can do to get an actual "upgrade" on what you currently have. Even at normal volume levels you'll be shocked on how much better it sounds compared to what you have. I'm talking about it will sound better than most high end factory luxury car audio.

So the reason for the two separate amps is for the on/off switch? Is that the reason not to use a 6 channel amp? Sorry, just not that good with these stereo upgrades. And would the amps be better under the dash or by the battery? Also should I run all new speaker wire with this setup ric?

Thanks for all the advice!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:06 am 

snoman wrote:
So the reason for the two separate amps is for the on/off switch? Is that the reason not to use a 6 channel amp? Sorry, just not that good with these stereo upgrades. And would the amps be better under the dash or by the battery? Also should I run all new speaker wire with this setup ric?

Thanks for all the advice!

Going with two amps is for several reasons:

Reason #1: Quite frankly it's the easiest way to get what you want... a switch to turn off/on speakers.
Reason #2: Saves battery power. You're not powering one high amp sucking your battery dry. This is the main reason. Boats have a finite amount of battery power.
Reason #3: Now you have the ability to turn on/off only the speakers you need. Hanging out in the water? Turn off main speakers and only power the rear. Driving the boat? Power main speakers turn off the rear.

Really want to impress the ladies? You can buy wireless 12v remotes that turn things on/off. The possibilities are endless. Personally? I would install the Kenwood RC55MR in the rear of the boat in a location that's easily readable and accessible while in the water, along with a carling contura switch next to it that turns the rear amp on/off that way when you're in the water you can control it all instead of jumping up and down out of the boat to turn the rear speakers on/off. The unused accessory switch at the helm I would save for LED cockpit lighting that you'll install in the future :)

Amps have to be installed next to the batteries. No more than 4-6ft power/ground wire length. Use tinned power/ground wires. Make sure they are in a position to not get wet. Four Winns uses 18 gauge speaker wire and is not adequate for aftermarket speakers or the additional power provided by the amps. Gotta run a lot of wire.

The only issue I see is I'm not sure if the Polk 4000.4 has rca outputs to daisy chain the 2nd amp. Probably best to call them.

Last edited by ric on Mon May 18, 2015 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 am 
Shark

God help us..... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:00 pm 

afw200 wrote:
God help us..... :roll:

lol

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:08 pm 

You can go into any reputable car stereo shop as well. They will likely give you the same ideas (albeit at a higher price than you can source online) that Ric gave.

The thing is - at an actual store you can hear what the speakers sound like, see what they look like, and run some different options by them. They "may" even do a better price when they see how much you are going to buy, and if you have comparables that will help you. A local shop here has often beat online prices - especially when you factor in shipping costs. Likewise - if something goes wrong or needs to be returned, you are not elbowed into paying return shipping and waiting 10-14 days for things to be made right.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:16 pm 

fi.na.tine wrote:
You can go into any reputable car stereo shop as well. They will likely give you the same ideas (albeit at a higher price than you can source online) that Ric gave.

The thing is - at an actual store you can hear what the speakers sound like, see what they look like, and run some different options by them. They "may" even do a better price when they see how much you are going to buy, and if you have comparables that will help you. A local shop here has often beat online prices - especially when you factor in shipping costs. Likewise - if something goes wrong or needs to be returned, you are not elbowed into paying return shipping and waiting 10-14 days for things to be made right.

I've been buying from Sonic Electronix for many years they are very hassle free. So is Crutchfield. Avoid Amazon or eBay when it comes to stereo equipment. Too many fakes out there.

Stereo is so easy. Plus and minus battery cables to amps. Plus and minus speaker wires. Red and white RCA. Everything is color coded on the stereo harness. The only way to get things wrong is if you're color blind or you're honestly attempting to screw it up.

Get a quality pair of crimp pliers, shrink wrap of all sizes (with the glue inside type), gold plated terminals of various types. It's easy and quite fun I think.

Or just buy all the equipment and have a good stereo shop install it all.