www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subwoofer Location
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 pm 
Tadpole

Hey guys! New to the forum so please bare with me. I have a VERY well kept 1997 Four Winns Horizon 240 with the 7.4. Love the boat!!! I am upgrading the Stereo as I've added 6 6 1/2 speakers, 2 amps, and 2 subs. One sub is a 10 inch bazooka tube. It under the rear horse shoe seat. My other sub is a huge single 4ohm in a custom box.....but I cannot find a spot to put it. I will fit in the bathroom but my wife says umm......no. LOL So My question to any of you is.....have you ever put a sub in your ski locker in the floor? You know how large they are if you have a 240 Horizon. I was going to water proof it as much as I could and put rubber legs on it to keep it from getting wet if water gets in there. I will remove it once summer is over to help keep it from being destroyed. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it. I figured it the bass would be crazy being in a large area like that closed up.
Any suggestions or pictures?
Ryan

Post subject: Re: Subwoofer Location
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Having 2 different subs in 2 different enclosures will not work well, due to their frequency reproduction.
Listen to your wife! :lol:

Get rid of the Bazooka & put something quality in the back, with a proper sealed enclosure of recommended size.
Give it as much power as is feasible. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:14 pm 

Quote:
My other sub is a huge single 4ohm in a custom box

What size is huge and what amp are you driving it and the 10" tube with?

Your best results are going to come from a single woofer with proper power and proper enclosure, and radiating directly into the cabin. Two woofer on different planes can create issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:07 am 
Tadpole

Well I would prefer to use my Custom Toby box with a 4 ohm 12 inch sub. Its massive but makes crazy low and crisp bass. www.tobyspeakers.com This company is a custom subwoofer/speaker company, they make crazy insane custom sub boxes. So ill dump the bazooka tube and just stick with the toby. My main question is do you think it would sound good in the ski storage? Its plenty big to fit the sub box in there. I was thinking I could get some really good sound out of it being in such a big enclosure. Whats your opinion, and ever hear of anyone putting there sub box in there?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 am 
Tadpole

Have plenty of power as far as the amp goes. 500 watts JL mono amp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:20 am 

Quote:
My main question is do you think it would sound good in the ski storage

The in-floor ski well, right? It will certainly be a boat shaker. Hard to say much beyond that. Unless the enclosure is fully sealed and the woofer has a poly cone, I reconsider. Humid environment will take its toll.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 am 
Tadpole

Yes in the floor ski well. I'm going to water proof the crap out of it before I put it in there. Yes its poly woofer. I'm going to take it out if its going to sit for more than a week. I was just hoping someone on here has put the sub in the in the floor ski storage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:14 pm 

Also ensure the surround is butyl rubber & not foam.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 pm 
Sting Ray

For starters, I keep very practical stuff in my ski locker like 2 anchors and lines, bumpers, an oar. And we get water in there frequently with people coming in and out of the boat. I would not store my audio stuff down there.

I wrestled with this for years myself. But a long time ago I realized you will have to make custom boxes for your boat. I originally made boxes to go under my rear seats and I absolutely hated them. We have perfectly sized coolers that go under those seats and we couldn't stash the coolers there anymore. Plus I wasn't comfortable leaving them in the boat because they were highly visible with the cover off.

So I got down to business, fairly recently actually. I removed the seat frames for the 2 lounge chairs. I removed the center brace from them and carefully measured the inside dimensions. I built two custom boxes to fit in that space and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. My 8" Kickers hit harder than you would believe, friends doubt the sound is coming from 8"s. And they are out of sight, out of the sun etc. If you're not comfortable building boxes, have a local shop build them for you. I can build them for you but I promise your local guy will be a ton more affordable.

Some highlights of my boxes are internal bracing (I had to use 1/2" MDF and it's more prone to flexing), siliconized latex caulk for air tight bass, and Rustoleum rubber coating for waterproof boxes.

1994 Freedom 170
OMC Cobra (by Volvo Penta) 3.0L