www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 pm 
Snub Nose Commander

Ok guys this is mostly a response to Bill, but good info for the rest of you.

The new (possibly older) boats are being equipped with Sony's CDX-HS70MP head units. They protrude quite a bit from the dash but even according to my local retailer is top of the line for sony. They come standard with CD player and I pod hook up through the 3.5mm jack that is installed on the boat. I started hooking up my IPOD through the 3.5mm jack and found it to be kinda a pain. Volume control and song selection still stays on the IPod making the transom control worthless but it does work.

A little research and I found this http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/accessories/XA-110IP which is the sony xplode IPod interface kit for these headunits. Sony has on all their equipment a thing called unilink which is (in my world) kinda like saying USB. It's plug and play for changers, satellite radio, and other toys.

According to the tech guys at Sony, you simply plug the unilink connection in, attach your two audio wires and plug in the Ipod.

So refusing to pay $49.95 I found some on Ebay for $17 including shipping and they even say new in box. Well got it today and I'm impressed, it was still completely sealed in the package from sony for $17.

Hooked it up tonight and I'm telling you this is the only way to fly. Song titles, artist all display on both the head unit as well as transom controls. You have complete control and I actually just velcro'd my IPOD under the dash because it self charges with this interface and other than to load songs you never even touch it. Great investment if your music is on IPOD.

Now Bill said he also bought one but never hooked it up because you would have to give up something like Sirius or a cd changer or for the cruisers possibly something else. NOT SO FAST!!

I too, when I first looked figured I'd have to unplug the unilink from my satellite radio box but more investigation revealed that the box has it's own input connection for both sets of cables. I plugged it directly into the Sat. Radio box and it fired right up. No losing anything.

Now for you guys who already have multiple toys plugged in with a Sony check out http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/accessories/XA-C40 which is a multiple changer adapter that allows you to plug in three at once.....

Ok, so I'm a little happy with my first change on the new boat.....sue me!

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:36 pm 
Snub Nose Commander

Ok, one quick addition. Found this http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/accessories/SIR-SNY1 this is the Sony/Sirius box that is used atleast in my 2008. you can see by looking and reading it has unilink pass through. this is where this adapter was plugged into for my recent change.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:46 am 
Just Chillin

I may have to try that again at some point. Thanks for the update. Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 am 
Snub Nose Commander

I'd take a look if you have those same coponents. If you do your talking spending a whole 45 to 60 seconds for the hook up.

Took me much longer to get the adhesive off the velcro in order to attach it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:43 pm 
Just Chillin

tackleshep,
How is it working?

any issues?

Thanks Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Quick thanks to tackleshep - based solely on this thread, I found the Sony adapter on Ebay for $13.99 with free shipping. I plugged it in to my Sirius box yesterday (it literally took 30 seconds), then mounted it under the dash and plugged in my Nano. Awesome mod! I was already irritated that my kids had to use their wet, Cheeto-stained hands on my Ipod to control the music - now it's all done thru the head unit or transom remote.

I love when something is easy and works as I expect. Thanks for the heads-up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm 
Villiage Idiot

If I may add...
I have a Clarion with the Cnet system, and did the same thing for around $50 from Amazon. As above, same results, display, etc. So, those of you with non-Sony, breath easier. Before that one, I installed an iPod adapter in my Envoy (Bose system) for $150, and believe it worth every dime!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:43 pm 

You guys are great!.... I just got mine….. Great stuff and so easy…I am not a stereo guy but I wish I knew this thing the beginning of the season. Thank you all for info.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:14 pm 
Just Chillin

Alright now I have to put mine in. So many of you have had good luck I have to try it. I am not sure I will get to it this year. If not I will do it in the spring.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:12 am 
Nauti Luv

Awesome...just ordered mine on ebay for $14.99, shipping included. This will be a GREAT addition to the boat.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:22 pm 
Nauti Luv

I put mine in today, connected through the Sirius receiver controller thingy...works like a champ!

Probably one of the best things about doing this is the simple fact that it keeps your iPod charged.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

Last edited by aguyindallas on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:42 pm 
Shark

Music upgrades are on the to do list this winter and I really appreciate the info. I still have the old original Kenwood and 10 disc changer that is past it's prime. I was thinking about Kenwood again, but will definetly be looking at sony now.
I've got 4 alpine 6 1/2s that I will keep. Wanting to add 1 or 2 10" subs and amp. I haven't really paid that much attention to car audio equip since high school, so this will be fun. Thanks for the help.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:26 pm 

Thanks to this great post I also found and ordered the above mentioned sony ipod connection off e-bay for around $15.00 and installed the past week and as advertised it works great. The one thing that is a little annoying is when connected you can not control the ipod via it's own controls. So, serching for a specific song or playlist can be problematic without unhooking. I am able to skip +/-, ff/rew, etc via my faceplate, hand held remote and transom remote, so overall I am very happy.

(edit) Added a photo

Last edited by impulse on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:41 pm 
Nauti Luv

impulse wrote:
Thanks to this great post I also found and ordered the above mentioned sony ipod connection off e-bay for around $15.00 and installed the past week and as advertised it works great. The one thing that is a little annoying is when connected you can not control the ipod via it's own controls. So, serching for a specific song or playlist can be problematic without unhooking. I am able to skip +/-, ff/rew, etc via my faceplate, hand held remote and transom remote, so overall I am very happy.

Yes, this is sort of a drag. I am going to just make a playlist in iTunes specifically for this purpose. Glad it all worked out for ya.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:26 pm 
Shark

Tackleshep or anyone else:

I also ordered the Sony XA-1101P, but I am gonna be THAT guy who can't figure it out. lol

I have the factory installed Sony CDX-HS70MP head unit, Sirus satellite radio (SIR-SNY1???), with the 3.5mm jack that is installed on the boat. I also have the marine remote commander RM-X55M on the swim step.

When I attempted to hook up the wires, I learned one of the BUS AUDIO IN plugs were already in use as was the BUS CONTROL IN plug.

My questions are:
*Does the Sirius SIR-SNY1 occupy this plug or the swim step remote RM-X55M?
*If it is the SIR-SNY1, where is it located?
*If it is the RM-X55M, do I need the XA-C40?

Your help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.