www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am 
Goldfish

Hey Everyone :)

We have a 1999 Sundowner 205 and love the boat to bits! The only thing that is quite poor on the boat is the fitted sound system, the only speakers that are fitted are 2 in the doors either side of the engine at the back and 2 in the cuddy which don't seem to work. I would like to try and upgrade the system overall, hoping for 4 main speakers and 2 Subwoofers (7 inch size) all powered by Subs.

The only thing is that I am a bit new to the whole auto/marine audio scene and don't really know reputations of various manufacturers and such. I would presume we would want a Amp that has a relatively low power consumption so that when we are on the anchor the system doesn't run the batteries down?

I know that aguyindallas did a very nice audio project with Treo Engineering amps and says that he loves them but the problem is that I cannot find a supplier for them here in the UK, only from the USA and shipping them here could be rather pricey! So does anybody know of good speaker locations for the other 2 (1 either side) and for the 2 subs and the amps!? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Rob :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am 
Nauti Luv

Yes, I am very happy with my install and amps. I have ran the crap out of them with virtually ZERO power draw. You have to understand that running to power hungry JL Audio 10W3's at cranked volumes takes some power. These amps just seem to be super efficient and barely even warm up. I am very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone. The fact is, they seem to be a small, up and coming brand and are not very well known yet (maybe never will be ?). Another alternative, although perhaps quite a bit more in cost is the Alpine PDX line. They are supposed to be very efficient as well.

Being as you are in a Sundowner (and I have never been in one), I cannot comment on a good place to install subs etc. I would think that going the route of putting the amps in the cuddy would be fine.

I am not sold on the whole, have to buy "marine" stuff for all needs. For outside speakers in the bow and cockpit, I think it makes perfect sense simply because those items are constantly exposed to the sun and elements. Since my amps are inside my bow rest areas, they dont need to be marine. They dont really need to be ignition protected either. Being that my subs are under my bench, firing down, they dont need any special marine grade construction either. They are all out of the elements, not near any ignition concerns and stay dry.

Also - our boat is garage kept, not wet slipped or dry docked in storage anywhere so I have less to worry about than others may.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:18 am 
Goldfish

Thanks aguyindallas. I must admit I do like the look of those Treo amps! and you set up does look nice!

Yeh exactly, I wasn't planning on buying marine amps at all! I was just planning on buying standard auto amps! Probably just mounting them on the back wall and wiring it nicely, you will still be able to see it, but done correctly It can be nice to look at and its also easier if I need to get to them!

I shall have a look at the PDX line, but will also enquire as to the shipping costs for the Treo's to the UK. May I be bold in asking what you should have paid for each of those amps?

I was planning on buying marine speakers, due to the fact that they are exposed to the elements! My boat does live on a trailer and is inside as well when it is not being used or in transit so Im not too fussed with things getting wet!

We have a nice Sony Head unit, which would be completely adequate for the amps and system! I just need to get the rest of the components! Also as we boat in salt water I need to work out a way for the speaker cable contacts to not rust and then break off, (as one of mine has just done!)!

The problem with our current set-up is that due to it being quite a loud large engine, under way we have to have the system cranked quite high to hear it, and with the relatively low quality of cabling and speakers that are in it, it sounds awful!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 pm 
Goldfish

Having done a little bit more research this evening, and the availability of audio equipment here in the UK, this is what it looks like it may be:

1x ALPINE PDX 5 Channel Amplifier (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/product ... odel=PDX-5)
2x Set of 2 Sony XS-MP1620W Speakers (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/icr-speakers/xs-mp1620w)
1x Alpine SWR-M100 Subwoofer (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/product ... l=SWR-M100)

I think it would just be the amp and the speakers for the moment (Budget!) but I would put the wiring in for the Sub when I do the first part thus when I do get the funds to put the Sub in, I can!!

Any recommendations or points on this set-up? This is my first real audio installation apart from home cinema and would value any comments or set-up issues.

Thank you

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:11 pm 
Nauti Luv

My complaint is that Alpine makes a fantastic amp...no doubt. I just have never been a fan of their subs and dont know of any of my friends that have either.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 pm 
Goldfish

May I ask what sub you would recommend that is in the similar price range then?

I am fully open to suggestions, that one just seemed to hit the spec and price range I was looking at!

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 pm 
Nauti Luv

I have always been a JL Fan. If not JL (they can be pricey), I like Kicker and Rockford Fosgate subs.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:24 pm 
Narwhal

I've been very happy with my Polk Audio subwoofer. Worth a listen if you can find them locally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've been told by my wife I'm going deaf (selective, of course but she hasn't caught on yet !), so my chance of getting approval for any audio upgrade on the boat is approaching zero ! I must admit we never listen to anything on the radio/. CD on the boat when we're underway; even when we're anchored all we can pick up on the radio on the West side of Anglesey are Irish stations ( not very entertaining when we hear about traffic jams in Dublin when we are in Wales, with 60 miles of water between us !)

My 6 CD player in my car has also never been used ! But the 150 mph top speed has ( in an appropriate part of Germany where it was allowed).

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 am 
Goldfish

Graham, selective deafness is always a good thing!

Unfortunately the only reason we tend to not listen to anything when underway is the fact that we have it to have it turned up to such a level when it becomes so distorted and is not a nice sound to listen to, thus only really have it on when anchored and swimming or such. Thus one of the main reasons for us wanting to upgrade the system!

That's odd, I'm sure we have managed to pick up Radio 1 and the big main stations on and around Anglesey, what aerial do you have your radio connected too?

Im thinking at the moment of just doing the speakers and amp at the moment, and leave the sub for a bit when I have a bit more cash in pocket! as the amp is actually quite a significant amount of the whole project cost!

Im just trying to think though where i can mount the front 2 speakers in the cockpit area, when I see the boat tmrw I shall have a good look, but if you can suggest any places Graham it would be gratefully appreciated. Or anyone for that matter!

Thank you,

Rob :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:59 am 

Rob,

The radio antenna connection is connected to the bow rail, a marginal improvement over the OEM 6" bit of orange wire! re the radio reception, on the West side of Anglesey, Holy Island in particular, it has always been bad. Irish stations have always had stronger signals ). We have a house there now in Trearddur Bay, radio reception there is terrible also !

I was looking at some old photos of the cockpit our '99 225 Sundowner. The 205 of the same year is quite similar in terms of layout I'm sure. On the passenger side there seems to be quite a lot of room ahead of the grab handle, in the panel below the one the grab handle is fitted to. There's probably a similar ammout of room on the drivers side, ahead of the shift/ throttle lever.

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:24 am 
Goldfish

Ahh yes the orange wire! That's what our radio is connected to, but then our orange wire is connected to the windshield frame so I believe that's where it picks the signal up for us! I would guess yours would have been too!

We are currently down in Poole, Dorset. And the boat will hopefully be going in on Monday subject to the repairs that has to be done! The other family we shared it with managed to take a nice 3mm scratch right out of the leading edge/keel from about 1m down from the bow for about 2m back so I have to repair that on Sunday and make sure everything has cured! Epoxy, fibreglass and gel coat to the ready, although its not my first fibre-glass repair and won't be my last I'm sure so I can hopefully get it done in one day I am hoping!

I am looking to find a good wakeboard package for a good price, seems to be quite a few suppliers for those things round here, (would hope so too!) although need to watch pricing, don't want anything special, just one that going to last and has bindings that fit my feet! (Size 12-13 UK!!) I shall keep looking! Although I have never wakeboarded before, I have done alot of Snowboarding and have been led to believe its not that dis-similar :)

Im hoping to get the audio upgrade done at the end of the season, then it will be ready for next year to be put to good use!

Must try and organise a Four Winns North West England day! We have done a few day trips having launched from a public slipway in Conwy.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:07 am 

Rob,

I remember the orange wire was connected to something on the 225. Even though it had a ring terminal on the end of it, the original wire on the 245 was so short it wouldn't reach anything!

That damage looks painful, it's fortunate that whatever did it didn't also catch the outdrive/ prop.

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:51 am 
Goldfish

I must admit our little orange one is quite tight too! But thankfully does reach!

The damage albeit annoying isn't too bad, spoken to a few four winns dealers in the UK and all they said to do was for this week, put some GP resin on it and then gel coat over the top of it. Then when I get the boat back home to sand down that gel coat and resin, and the surrounding areas, few layers of fiberglass, sand them down and then re-gel coat the whole area. May sound like a lot of work but thankfully the scrape is only about 2 metres long and would only take a good day and a half to do completely!

Oh and the damage was caused by the trailer! Which had for some reason all the adjustments changed and thus didn't sit right, all fine and dandy somebody else playing and changing around with somebody else's £3000 new trailer hey!?!

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11 am 

I think they use that orange wire on everything and in most boats the radio is in the dash somewhere; however in the later Sundowners there's no room for it, or on the passenger side either so they stuck them in the cuddy close to the step, very low down and with a remote control on the dash. Annoyingly, even though the remote is active, I can't seem to switch it on at the remote control, it has to be switched on at the main unit.

Graham