www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 pm 
Shark

i know this has been beaten' into the ground but figured I'd get some advice as well.

I'm looking to add a sub to my current sound setup. currently i have the following (sorry for not knowing specs on everything as she is still shrink wrapped and i don't recall everything that's in the boat to the exact spec):

Alpine head unit (installed by me)
MTX amp (4 channel i think, can't recall model number off hand)
8 Clarion speakers (6.5 i believe)

i would love to add a free air for space and mount it under the kick panel of passenger seat. where the passengers feet would be. the backside would be under the front bow seat. I've always done all my own car audio and have always build boxes and never heard a free air but would hate to loose storage space, especially for those lake Powell trips. 8 days on the water with all beer/gear eats up huge space.

I've thought about this amp and free air setup due to $, but worried about the get what you pay for factor.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=kenwood+marine+subwoofer&cid=55978799740295957&ei=2Xi7S9X2CJeIxQWo_qyvCA&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

on the 2001 horizon my back seat does not have much depth to it under the seat so worried to put a sub in there, but maybe it could be done with a box and work i dunno.

my other worry is the current sound is ok. i have to get the amp just right and head unit adjusted just right for no distortion from bass at high levels but then after a couple hours the amp will shut off from heat. all due to running 8 freak'n 6's i'm sure. still don't know why they overloaded this little amp with 8!!!! this was in the boat when we got it. i'd be down to take 4 off that amp and maybe on the head unit to save the amp some wear or even gone all together. problem with that is the location of 4 which are on the tower and made to go inside the tower. so to remove these I'd still have to leave them for "looks" or plug the holes somehow. you really don't hear these unless you are in/on the back of the boat.

other problem is there are no bow speakers and you can't hear anything up there!

thanks for any and all advice. I've been poking around in the audio section for sometime but felt some more direct assistance might help me realize what might be best at a minimal cost.

picture of the tower speakers:

just basically looking to get some thump in the boat!

thanks all.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

To offer my humble opinion, your wasting your time and money with that particular sub (nothing against kenwood, have owned tons of their stuff over the years). But, if your going to cut a hole in your boat spend the money on a little better, solidly made free air sub. My last 2 sub purchases have been JL and I'm quickly becoming a JL faithful. They make a 10" free air version. Not the cheapest, but I keep thinking, if your going to cut a big ole hole in your boat make it worth it. Just my 2 cents.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_136M10IB5C/JL-Audio-M10IB5-CG-WH.html?tp=972

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:19 pm 
Nauti Luv

JL or Wetsounds...only way to fly.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 am 
GIDDY UP

aguyindallas wrote:
JL or Wetsounds...only way to fly.

+1 I've had both. The wetsounds WS10 FA was cheaper & performed the same. I would bet it holds up better to the elements though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 am 
Shark

Quote:
To offer my humble opinion, your wasting your time and money with that particular sub (nothing against kenwood, have owned tons of their stuff over the years). But, if your going to cut a hole in your boat spend the money on a little better, solidly made free air sub. My last 2 sub purchases have been JL and I'm quickly becoming a JL faithful. They make a 10" free air version. Not the cheapest, but I keep thinking, if your going to cut a big ole hole in your boat make it worth it. Just my 2 cents.

very true on the JL's i'm a big JL fan as well and have used their subs for years with great sound. just thought i'd cut a corner but didn't really think of the fact that if i'm putting in a free air and cutting the boat might as well put in something good!

any suggestions on the current mid range setup? leave her be and just add in a sub and amp?

thanks all.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

hellasnow wrote:
any suggestions on the current mid range setup? leave her be and just add in a sub and amp? thanks all.

Again, this is just me, but I would add the amp and sub and listen to it like that for a little while see if you like it or it's just bugging the crap out of you to upgrade some more. You might find that just by adding the amp/sub your very happy with how things sound. It's amazing how adding some soild bass can totally change the sound of your old setup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 am 
GIDDY UP

Yep. The stock 6.5s aren't too bad with the right power to them. You said you just wanted a little thump, so save the $ and spend it on the sub.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:13 pm 
Shark

If want JL Audio quality on a Kenwood budget, I suggest ED subs:

http://www.elementaldesigns.com/

Look at the 11kv.2 subs. 15mm xmax great for infinite baffle (free air) design. $90 The drivers mimic Image Dynamics which is a very quality mfg. Don't let the lack of brand name recognition scare you! I run two of these in my BMW and they are amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 am 
GIDDY UP

I've used ED for stock replacements in cars. Pretty good stuff and very inexpensive. Make sure they don't get exposed to any marine elements.