www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: radio memory
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Does anyone else have radio issues like this?
- when I turn the key off, the radio shuts off.
- turning back on, the station I was listening to is gone.
- stations don't store in memory. After turning the key off, memory is back to factory settings
- cd doesn't resume playing after key off.

I like the idea that the radio goes off with the key, so don't want to lose that. otherwise, I'll turn it down, forget it's on and get a dead battery.

I'm assuming this happens because the radio doesn't have power with the key off, to run the memory functions. So, I'm assuming I need to move the yellow radio memory wire to a fuse that is always powered. Is this the problem? Or, is the Sony head unit just a piece of junk? I've also considered just replacing the sony with the newer sony model. Will that help? I'd go to a different brand, but I have the sony wired remote and sony sirius receiver.

Anyone know the answer?

Post subject: Re: radio memory
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:14 pm 
GIDDY UP

Sounds like the yellow is hooked to a switched power source. Make sure it has constant 12V to fix this. Beware of how it's wire with a battery switch (if applicable).

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:01 pm 
Sting Ray

Mine is an '08 and I have the same problem. Only on mine, the FM/AM presets stay as well as accurate time. My problem is with the Sirius, it keeps telling me to call to activate even though I have done this twice. As soon as I try a Sirius station, it works, but the presets for Sirius are wiped out. I called Sirius tech support and they said I need to have the dealer check it out.

It sure is annoying to cruise to a cove and have to reset the stereo everytime you turn the motor off and turn the key to the left!!

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm 

you know, that's a great point. And, I think that I know now what the problem is... at least part. The sirius module is probably connected to switched power, and should have the memory power like the radio. Next time I'm out I guess I have to look at the yellow memory wire and see where it's connected, and same on the sirius module.'

On the other hand, I'm still not convinced that the sony isn't a piece of sh..

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:04 am 

Well, it appears that the yellow wire goes to a full time 12v source. The red wire goes off into the harness somewhere and I can't find it. I'm wondering if the wiring should have been different, or if it's just the Sony should be replaced.

Has anyone solved this problem?

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:15 pm 

Yep. Actually the solution is quite simple. Stereo memory as is the case in cars as well have an "always hot" wire - cigarette lighters used to be a simple source way back when. With these particular boats however you have the ability to kill the power to everything except the bilge pump with the switch. I really did not want to play with my bilge pump wiring for fear of somehow managing to foul it (and its in a miserable spot to get at in my 210) so a much simpler solution was to run a wire from the sony head to the battery - it is the yellow lead. You are right the reset after every use is REALLY frustrating. The yellow powers the head memory only so it is mot a big draw on the battery.
Below is a link for my stereo upgrade. Skip past all the boring stuff and down near the end is my memory wire solution. Worked for me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2125

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:53 pm 
Sting Ray

Got a big race to go to tomorrow. Going to give this a shot this week.

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:32 pm 

Same prob with mine....same model boat/stereo too. I was thinking i needed to study the manual since surely it was a programming issue....after reading this i recon it's not. I second that it is very frustrating since you have to shut it down so often when boarding. Where is the Sirius unit mounted? I looked everywhere i can think and can't find it....i just figured there was not one and it was part of the stereo itself.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:53 pm 

on my F224, the sirius box is under the helm storage area. It is a separate unit that plugs into the radio, not built in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:38 pm 
Sting Ray

TX H210SS wrote:
Same prob with mine....same model boat/stereo too. I was thinking i needed to study the manual since surely it was a programming issue....after reading this i recon it's not. I second that it is very frustrating since you have to shut it down so often when boarding. Where is the Sirius unit mounted? I looked everywhere i can think and can't find it....i just figured there was not one and it was part of the stereo itself.

On my 210, the Sirius module is under the starboard bow cusion. I'm going to try and splice the yellow lead from the sirius into the yellow lead on the radio. Hopefully this will fix it.

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:41 pm 
Narwhal

Looks like the design engineers made a boo-boo when Four Winns elected to move from Clarion to Sony in '08 - my 2007 200 has none of these problems, although of course even when stock, I'd lose all presets if I disconnected the battery.

A quick search on the net found this circuit where one could wire up a small 12V walkie talkie battery to maintain the presets for a few weeks (the relay is in there so the diode doesn't waste power when the circuit is on):

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 pm 

I think it could be as simple as the red wire (main power) and the yellow wire (radio memory power) are reversed in the wiring harness. I have traced the yellow, and it goes to the switched fuse block. I've tried to see where the red wire goes, but I can't find it. It seems to head off into the harness somewhere, and I can't find the other end. Could it be at the battery switch? If that's the case, switching those wires would fix it. I may have to try checking for 12v with the key off at the red wire.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm 
Sting Ray

Sounder wrote:
I think it could be as simple as the red wire (main power) and the yellow wire (radio memory power) are reversed in the wiring harness. I have traced the yellow, and it goes to the switched fuse block. I've tried to see where the red wire goes, but I can't find it. It seems to head off into the harness somewhere, and I can't find the other end. Could it be at the battery switch? If that's the case, switching those wires would fix it. I may have to try checking for 12v with the key off at the red wire.

Is the clock on your radio staying correct?

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 am 

Good question. I think the answer is no. I seem to remember that it keeps time if I'm running, or if I stop but switch the radio off and on. So, in other words, if I turn the key off for long, the time resets. But if I turn it off for a moment, it keeps time.

Does that tell you that my assumption above is correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:24 pm 
Sting Ray

Okay, after not working for the past couple hours, I "think" I may have it figured out. My clock does stay current as do the FM presets, so the yellow memory wire is hooked up correctly. There must be a problem with the Sony stereo when used with the Sirius module, like the Sirius is getting power from the head-unit, but only when it is on as the yellow memory wire does not supply enough power. Thus my idea:

Check this:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/CDXHS70MW_install.pdf

I don't believe the fuse block is switched. It is always hot, when you flip a switch on the dash, it completes the circuit. The above Sony illistration shows 2 hot wires, one to the fuse block and one to the accessory position on the ignition (plus the yellow memory wire). That is where our problem is. Notice how it says if an accessory switch is not available to wire it a hot terminal? I'm going to take this wire off the ignition and attach it to an empty spot on the fuse block, which is hot, and add a fuse. This will keep the stereo on even when the key is in the off position, no more losing sound when turning off the motor! So in theory, I'm thinking that since the presets stay when pushing the power button on the stereo, this should allow the stereo enough power to "remember" the presets for both FM and Sirius instead of going dead once it loses power from the ignition.

The only downfall, if this works, is I'll have to remember to turn off the stereo when we're done for the day. Shoudn't be a problem as my last boat was like this so I'm used to it.

Wish me luck...Will let you know how it turns out.

Indianapolis
ImageImage