www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm 
Dolphin

I had started a thread under the "Vista" section (VHF Antenna Placement -Vista 278) and got some terrific ideas including installing the antenna on top of my fiberglass arch (thanks Guinnydog!). I'm still unsure of how the antenna is mounted on the arch (assume with bolts and nuts) but I can't figure how to access the "inside" of the arch to install the nuts. There's a light installed at the center of the arch with an access hatch directly below it. Does this mean that an antenna mounted to the starboard side of the top of the arch would require an additional access hatch be cut into the underside of the arch.

Guinnydog had provided pictures of the factory install on his 2010 278 Vista but there is no cutout below the antenna on his boat. Does anyone know if they use special mounting hardware (thinking along the lines of a lag bolt) to install components on the arch?

Thanks!!

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:23 am 
email admin your custom rank

not sure about the 278 but my 298 has round access panels that twist out. Not the greatest room for accessing but enough to hold some bolts while you tighten from above. I would definetely not recomend cutting into the arch or having bolts sticking out. If you do have access panels but just not where you originally wanted to mount the antenna you may want to change where you mount it, in my opinion it looks alot better when its clean with no modifications showing. If I am not mistaken you were going to mount it on the side of the radar arch or the top? In the past I have seen some screws be used that are pretty HD and just require some sealant on the antenna mount and the screws themselves, but I dont know how well that would hold a large antenna through the wind.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 am 

I re-read your original post. From what I am gathering, Guinnydog's mount probably just used screws and sealent if there is no access near there or it would be impossible to hold the bolts washers etc. In the manual of my 298 it shows the antenna located on the top of the radar arch. The antenna I have now is on the top of the radar arch but is only a 3 foot antenna, I will likely be replacing it very soon with an 6 or 8ft and will just use the same place, there is an access hatch directly below it so I am able to access all of my arch mounted antenna's. Good luck with what you decide, one suggestion, contact Shakespeare and ask them about mounting.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:19 am 

My 2001 328 Four Winns did not have a VHF radio or antenna when I purchased it this spring. Previous owner (one owner) bought the boat new and had almost all options except the navigation package that included VHF radio and antenna.

Anyways, I needed to install the VHF radio and antenna. I installed my 8 foot VHF antenna on the top of my radar arch on the starboard side.

My radar arch is aluminum although looking at it you would think it is fibreglass. I needed to drill and tap the 4 four mounting screws for the antenna mount. Makes for a real sturdy mount this way.

Not sure if your radar arch is aluminum or not.............

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
Dolphin

drballard33 wrote:
I re-read your original post. From what I am gathering, Guinnydog's mount probably just used screws and sealent if there is no access near there or it would be impossible to hold the bolts washers etc. In the manual of my 298 it shows the antenna located on the top of the radar arch. The antenna I have now is on the top of the radar arch but is only a 3 foot antenna, I will likely be replacing it very soon with an 6 or 8ft and will just use the same place, there is an access hatch directly below it so I am able to access all of my arch mounted antenna's. Good luck with what you decide, one suggestion, contact Shakespeare and ask them about mounting.

Thanks very much for your advice. I'm thinking the best thing to do is install an access hatch below the new antenna location (starboard side). Now all I have to do is figure out the best way to create an access hole in the fiberglass arch (that should be an adventure).

Appreciate your help

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm 

Holesaw.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 pm 
Dolphin

Decision wrote:
My 2001 328 Four Winns did not have a VHF radio or antenna when I purchased it this spring. Previous owner (one owner) bought the boat new and had almost all options except the navigation package that included VHF radio and antenna.

Anyways, I needed to install the VHF radio and antenna. I installed my 8 foot VHF antenna on the top of my radar arch on the starboard side.

My radar arch is aluminum although looking at it you would think it is fibreglass. I needed to drill and tap the 4 four mounting screws for the antenna mount. Makes for a real sturdy mount this way.

Not sure if your radar arch is aluminum or not.............

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

Your purchase scenario sounds quite similiar to mine. The previous owner of my boat actually had a brand new VHF radio still in the original box but didn't get around to installing it. I don't think my arch is aluminum though (perhaps some Vista 278 owners here might know for sure). When I looked inside the existing center access hatch it looked like fiberglass mesh. Interesting idea though and appreciate your response.

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 pm 
Dolphin

firecadet613 wrote:
Holesaw.

Not looking forward to that moment. Thanks. Good idea!

"Heart's Content II"