All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:50 am 
french 829

Thanks Cap'n!

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

French

I replied to your PM it looks like Cap'n beat me to posting my thread about my upgrade. Haven't worked on it yet this winter. I would look real hard at the doors on the 240. I don't recall there being much difference. I'll ask my friend if he has his old doors. If so you could see how close a fit they are and try the factory doors with the speaker cut out.

Another option would be to get a fiberglass shop to fabricate a mount on the transom doors for you.

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Last tennja post on this topic 6/27/10.
tennja wrote:
A bit of an update. Firstly we may be planning a move soon so this was put on the back burner for a while. I had some quality time with the boat this past week :D and have determined that the panel that the doors are mounted is a separate piece that can be removed from the deck. And more importantly there is access for me to reach the mounting hardware. It will be a lot of work but they should come off pretty easy. This will allow me to fit the doors in place and I should have a good sight line to line up the holes on the door.

I'll update when I start the project but I thought this might help any one else thinking of this upgrade.

The thread....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5166&p=51041#p51041

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 am 
Clownfish

If there is a good fiberglass guy local, perhaps you could mold an enclosure in white gelcoat that follows the curve of the transom and squares up the front so the speakers would face the way you wanted. Then you could install whatever speakers you wanted and would only need to drill a couple of small holes to mount and for wire, and it would be easy to waterproof.

Might be a little costly I'm not sure, but could look very factory if done right. I'm going to try something similar on my rig, but using smaller gel finished angled adapters so I can mount speakers facing straight back off my rear locker doors which are mostly unused anyway.

Just my 2 cents :D

Weekends on Lake Norman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm 
Tadpole

Upgraded my H220 with a Sampson Wakeboard Tower with optional speakers. The speakers are mounted on a mic jack so they swivel 360degrees. I did not realize the benefit of having Wakeboard speakers with the ability to play music in any direction. Especially useful when tying up and the current changing the angles of the boat. You can not beat having the speakers up and out of the boat projecting out into the water.

Kicker Amp
Sampson Wakeboard Tower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm 
french 829

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7535

So--here is the solution I finally came up with. Has been working great after two weekends of trial.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 pm 

On the newer H240's you can get an option of the aft ski locker doors with an integrated speaker.

I saw a picture of them in the 2011 Four Winns Brochure and called my dealer to order a pair to put on my 2006 H240. I had my Wet Sounds dealer ready to install the speakers. About 3 days later the service dept called back to say "no go." The dealer called FW to discuss if they would fit. FW says that the mold changed around 2008 to 2009. The new ski locker doors are available at $200 each but they will not fit a 2006 model.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:50 am 
french 829

Yes--that's $200 a piece just for the doors (without speakers). The price and the fact that they would need to be retrofitted for the 2005 H230 put that solution out of reach for me (though I do like those integrated doors). I ended up spending about $150 on the Bose speakers and maybe another $30 on cheap cutting boards from Walmart, hinges, and some misc. hardware. Not as nice as the integrated doors for sure, but for the price, working well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 am 

What about some pop up speakers like on a hot tub? Has anyone tried that option? I'm thinking they could top mount on the gunwales and you pop them up when swimming. But I'm not sure they'd have enough power to make it worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:14 am 
Tadpole

I could add tower speakers, but I had them on the last boat and didn't really care for them for a number or reasons. I don't need much, but I would like to have a little more sound on the swim platform. Option two involves me installing a pair of Bose outdoor speakers in the ski lockers. Then, when we anchor off somewhere, open the ski lockers, flip up the speakers, and we are all set. This is probably the cheaper option, but I am a little concerned about losing a little bit of storage space and then we have to keep the doors open while tied off.