www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 pm 
Clownfish

I'm getting ready to upgrade the stereo on my H230. Among other things, I'm planning on replacing the stock speakers with polk DB651s and adding 4 more in the cockpit (for a total of 8 ) but I'm also considering putting two speakers facing backwards on the swim platform, possibly DB651s but more likely something smaller like a DB521.

I've seen speakers on a swim platforms before but on different types of boats. Anyone seen it on similar boat? Any opinions for or against this on my boat?

Some rough calculations make it look like I could make them fit. I may need to relocate the the transom shower, but that doesn't seem like too big a job.

I could add tower speakers, but I had them on the last boat and didn't really care for them for a number or reasons. I don't need much, but I would like to have a little more sound on the swim platform.

The picture below is the best shot I have. I was thinking of moving the shower further to port, putting one speaker where the shower is, and the other speaker equally spaced to starboard of "Four Winns".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 am 
268 Vista

So with 8 speakers being installed, you need two more? Don't think you could hear your sound system in the water ?
Personally, I think it is a ridiculous idea to ruin the appearance of the stern of your boat by adding speakers where they
are not designed to go in that boat.

To answer your question, I have never seen transom mounted speakers on a boat like yours. I think there is
a reason for that. It's your money, cut away if you wish. :roll:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 am 
french 829

I am actually working on a similiar mod--but agree that cutting fiberglass will NOT be part of the solution. Last year I added two additional speakers in the cockpit, a Kicker 5-channel amp, and a JL 10-inch sub in a sealed box. We have great sound in the boat--but if you are in the water, you have to have it cranked up in the boat to really hear it (not good if you have some folks in the boat and some folks in the water at same time). I think aiming two speakers out on the water will allow for more reasonable volume for all. I am considering two solutions.

I know on the newer H240's you can get an option of the aft ski locker doors with an integrated speaker. If I could reasonalby swap those out--that would probably be the best solution. I am in the process of trying to get pricing for the replacement doors. Anybody out there have this option on their boat? How does it work out for you?

Option two involves me installing a pair of Bose outdoor speakers in the ski lockers. Then, when we anchor off somewhere, open the ski lockers, flip up the speakers, and we are all set. This is probably the cheaper option, but I am a little concerned about losing a little bit of storage space and then we have to keep the doors open while tied off.

Any creative ideas out there?

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am 
email admin your custom rank

I know a guy that has speakers that clamp to the bimini poles and face rearword. I think they have some sort of rca plug hidden. He takes them down while underway and puts them up and plugs them in when he wants them.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am 
Clownfish

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
So with 8 speakers being installed, you need two more? Don't think you could hear your sound system in the water ?

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish and exactly why I'm not going the tower speaker route. :roll:

french has it right, it's a about not needing to have the entire system up high enough just so you can hear it on the swim platform. Asking "The Google" led me to a couple discussions that involved some of the same points and had some alteratives. Found a couple examples of it being done but also a lot of hesitation (which I have too) but not a lot of great alterantives.

I look forward to any ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 am 

Hi

Personally, & who am I, I would just upgrade the the stock speakers and maybe the head unit. What I like is a head unit with a USB connection. The USB thumb drives can HOLD a lot of music!!!!!! Also, the with the small wireless remote, so when I am in the cabin, having lunch or going to sleep I can control it. I do have a wired remote at the helm & swimming platform.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 am 
268 Vista

Hi

I see your point Red Blur. Maybe some remote headphones for you while in the water would do it. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm 

Have you given thought to going with 4 or maybe 6 at most larger (7.7) sized JL Audio speakers in your cockpit. I would guarantee you that even 4 of those with the right amp will be beyond what any reasonable person can tolerate for long periods of time. I'd rethink the need to cut four more holes rather than just enlarging the 4 you have. By the time you buy 8 Polks you may get 4 JL's?

I think Tennja is working on the gullwing locker doors at the transom like the factory option. I would go that route rather than cutting holes in your transom. That would be a HUGE mistake in my opinion.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm 
french 829

Thanks! I just PM'd Tennja to see if he can offer any advice. Where to get the replacement doors? How much they cost? Etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 pm 
Goldfish

Red,

I have a F244 and had a similar challenge in that I wanted to hear music while swimming off the back or while it is on the hook in reverese to a beach. I did not want to cut holes in the fiber glass so I built some 6X9 speaker's with small speaker boxes that I hang on the bimini poles. I replaced stock speaker with Polks, added an amp (Alpine PDX-F4) and installed toggle switches at the helm so when I want to run the 6X9's off the back I pull them out, plug them in and attach the bimini poles and then toggle the switch's to take down the front speakers and turn on the 6X9's.

Stereo is 100% better sounding. The speakers out the back are little cumbersome but it works well for me for the $ I wanted to spend.

'08 F250 PSD
'04 Excusion EB PSD, RAS, Bilsteins and Wood Trim
'96 Camry - What I drive!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:11 pm 
Clownfish

Cincy Aquaholic wrote:
Have you given thought to going with 4 or maybe 6 at most larger (7.7) sized JL Audio speakers in your cockpit. I would guarantee you that even 4 of those with the right amp will be beyond what any reasonable person can tolerate for long periods of time. I'd rethink the need to cut four more holes rather than just enlarging the 4 you have. By the time you buy 8 Polks you may get 4 JL's?

I'm not set on that setup but I have 4 Polks right now. I had 6 in my last boat and kept 4 when I sold it. Two of them are in boxes that I used to get the transom sound and kept, and I also swapped the two stock speakers back in. I really like the Polks and for the money they're hard to beat. I was just going with the philosophy of filling the cockpit with as many speakers as I can find a spot for. Not for volume, but to fill all areas equally with rich sound.

After having a day to think it over and listening to opinions, I'm really leaning towards not messing with any sort of permanent mounts for speakers on the transom. Now, just coming up with a good option. As mentioned, in the last boat I just had two speakers in boxes that we could set out on the sunpad, but I'd like to come up with a better option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 pm 

Here's a thought - i know they have wireless surround sound systems for the house, but not sure if they have wireless outdoor grade speakers. The outdoor speakers for the house are the same as marine I would guess (don't know for a fact), but seems both are designed for exposure to moisture.

If wireless is an option - a pair with some quick connect attachments to a bracket on the tower would be perfect. Something that can be quickly mounted when on the hook would be a possible answer.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 am 
french 829

Bummer! Just got an email back from Terry at Winnisquam Marine. The Fours Winns parts department is claiming that the integrated speaker doors do NOT retro fit for the 2005 H230. Looks like that won't be an option for me. Looks like I am back to my original plan to somehow mount the Bose outdoor speakers inside the ski lockers. I got a pair of white Bose 151's for Christmas--so now I just have to figure out the best mounting method. Back to the drawing board!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 am 

french829 wrote:
Bummer! Just got an email back from Terry at Winnisquam Marine. The Fours Winns parts department is claiming that the integrated speaker doors do NOT retro fit for the 2005 H230. Looks like that won't be an option for me. Looks like I am back to my original plan to somehow mount the Bose outdoor speakers inside the ski lockers. I got a pair of white Bose 151's for Christmas--so now I just have to figure out the best mounting method. Back to the drawing board!

I recall Tennja having some trouble fitting his but not sure exactly why. It was doable though. Wait til he chimes in. I bet you can make them work.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 am 
268 Vista

Last tennja post on this topic 6/27/10.
tennja wrote:
A bit of an update. Firstly we may be planning a move soon so this was put on the back burner for a while. I had some quality time with the boat this past week :D and have determined that the panel that the doors are mounted is a separate piece that can be removed from the deck. And more importantly there is access for me to reach the mounting hardware. It will be a lot of work but they should come off pretty easy. This will allow me to fit the doors in place and I should have a good sight line to line up the holes on the door.

I'll update when I start the project but I thought this might help any one else thinking of this upgrade.

The thread....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5166&p=51041#p51041