www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:55 pm 
Clownfish

I dropped in 2 pairs of SW-650's from Wet Sounds last Thursday and got to try them out on the water Friday afternoon.
It was just a basic swap for the stock Sony speakers. I haven't installed an amp yet, but they still sounded great on their own. My biggest complaint with the stock speakers was that we couldn't really hear them while cruising. They were good enough for me on the hook. Here are some pictures to share...

Image Image
Image Image

Now a request to FW, get a template to actually cut your speaker holes in the center of the half circle feature in the bow.
FYI, the install did take new mounting holes since the Wet Sounds bolt circle was a bit larger than the original.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm 
Seahorse

They look great! I bet they sound a whole lot better than the Sony's

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have the Wet Sounds cockpit speakers. They have a clear crisp sound while cruising even at higher speeds. There is a discussion also going under subject "Wake Tower Speaker Wire" concerning Wet Sounds and Exile speakers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:57 am 
Seahorse

The sound quality will dramatically increase with an Amp, so if you think it sounds good now without an Amp just wait to be blown away...

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am 
Starfish

I agree. I'm running 6 xs-650, 1 xs-12 on a 900/5 JL amp. Night and day difference with the right power going to them

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I got some bad news last week. My 5 year old original Clarion amp has malfunctioned; it's shot, needs replacing. I have sound coming from the Exile tower speakers because those 2 speakers have their own (600 watt Exile) amp.

I am also considering putting 2 more Wet Sound speakers on the back of the boat (as is shown on the 2011 H 240) for a total of 6 cockpit speakers. My installer has recommended the following 2 scenarios:

The Kicker ZXM700.5 5 channel amp is a larger amp designed specifically to power 4 to 6 in-boat speakers and a subwoofer. Due to its higher current draw as compared to the current Clarion, it would require new power wire and circuit protection. This amp is the ideal way to go if you feel that you will be adding two more in-boat speakers in the near future. With this amp, there will be no need to add addition equipment in order to accommodate the additional speakers. This is essentially 2 amps in one chassis.

The Kicker ZXM350.4 will be a direct swap out in terms of power, size and current draw as the Clarion amp. If you go with the ZXM350.4 as a direct replacement for now, then add the additional speakers later, then all that would need to be done is to install a small mono channel amp to power the current sub, as the new speaker would need to use the 2 channels that the subwoofer is occupying now.

I will do one or the other. My dealer dropped Four Winns so I am not sure I can get the new replacement parts from him. Next closest FW dealer is about 3 hours drive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:14 pm 
Clownfish

After a few trips out this Spring, I'm really pleased with the Wet Sounds, but agree with you guys that I need to add an amp. I'm pushing the head unit hard at cruising speed, but at least I can hear the music as we run to the sand bar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am 
Seahorse

Its a step in the right direction for sure, hearing the music while cruising makes a big difference.

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:22 pm 
Clownfish

@240Joe; You might consider a JL channel amp. they are one of the few higher end audio company's to offer a legitimate 6 channel setup. You can use it to power all 6 speakers and then perhaps bridge the Exile amp to run a sub. You can fund many of the 6 channel units on Ebay; A6450, G6600, M6600. If you want something digital, I think they have both a HD and XD series offering in 6 channel as well.

I finally finished the installing the last 2 of my 6 MB Quarts today with the JL A6450 and they sound unbelievable. this setup replaced a Kicker DX200.4 that was driving 4 of the MB Quarts previously and aside from the volume increase, the JL sounds a lot cleaner.

Weekends on Lake Norman