www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker Upgrade, Again!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:05 am 
Shark

Last year I put in 4 JL M650's and 1 JL M101B5 sub, sounded great but wanted a little more.
This year I sold the 6.5's, installed 4 JL 7.7s in the arch and added another Sub.
The subs are powered by a JL M1700, and the 7.7's by a Clarion APX 480M.
The clarion will be the next mod when it smokes, gets nice and hot when cranked up while the JL runs cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 am 
email admin your custom rank

Nice! I don't mean to hijack but question, how do you go about wiring more than 4 speakers to 2 separate amps when you have a 4 channel head unit?

Heres my set up:
Clarion head unit with 4 RCA outs for 4 speakers and 1 set for the sub. This easily hooks up to my 5 channel amp. So, if I simply wanted to add 4 more speakers with another 4 channel amp how's it done? Just use Y splitters on the RCA outs? If so, will I be reducing power to existing 4 speakers or will it almost double?

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:11 am 

Some amps have a set of pre-out plugs as well to where you can just sort of piggyback the pre-outs without any loss of power to what you have existing, and then you just plug the new amp into the power and feed the 4 new speakers with the new amp.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:19 am 
All Night Long

I would LOVE to see the pictures of the 7.7s mounted in the arch... That arch can't handle the depth without some serious spacer rings... And I have yet to find a Spacer ring design that doesn't make the boat look un-natural.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 am 
Seahorse

Most good head units will have Front, Rear and Sub RCA Output. If yours doesn't then you might want to consider replacing your Head Unit.

"RCA cables
Now that you have your power and ground wires connected you'll need to give your amplifiers a music signal (usually the RCA cables run from the head unit). The best way would be if your head unit (radio/deck) has a separate set of outputs that can be used on the extra amplifiers. If your head unit is lacking these extra outputs then there are several other options.

If your amplifiers will be powering dissimilar speakers (subs, mids, tweeters, etc.) then you can use an electronic crossover to split and filter the signal going to each amplifier. Sub-bass frequencies would be sent to the subwoofer amplifier and high pass signals would be passed to the other amplifiers. The crossover will have built in line drivers which will increase the voltage of the low level signal. This can help lower the noise of the system.

Some amplifiers will have an RCA pass through circuit which can be used to drive another amplifier in the system. For example, amplifier A would have an RCA output for amplifier B. These are sometimes filtered which has the benefits of an active crossover without the extra equipment or installation expense. If you are using a filtered output make sure that it is adjustable or that it is at least at a useable frequency for your system design.

The least desirable method is the RCA cable Y adapter or splitter. This is a simple way to split a single RCA output into two RCA outputs. It’s basically splicing an RCA signal into two circuits. The drawback is that the signal voltage is also split so that each component is now getting a smaller low level signal which may increase the noise in the system." Source: http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newsletter/ ... ifiers.htm

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:51 pm 

Thanks. Sorry for the hijack.

I have the CMD4 so only the basic set of RCA outputs. 4 for each individual speaker then 2 for the sub.

This is my amp so no way to piggy back.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=537

Only option would be new head unit (anyone know of one with 6-8 channel plus sub capability?) or use line drivers and cross over.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 pm 
Shark

@ Cougar, your right, the 7.7's dont fit in the lower arch positions without trim rings, they do fit in the upper positions but you need to be careful cutting because of the way the arch speaker holes are moded. I had custom rings made which include a place for the tweeters. I'll get some pics when I get to the boat next, hopefully this weekend if it ever quits raining

@ Cincy, I sent you a PM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm 
Shark

Cougar, Here is a picture of the trim rings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 am 
Goldfish

Impressive! Hope my mods turn out that well. :o

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:18 am 
Clownfish

WOW! Those trim rings look fantastic. I don't have a spot for anything like that on my boat, but if I did, I'd be calling your guy. Nicely done, very professional finish work.

Weekends on Lake Norman