www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm 
Dolphin

This inquiry is specifically for cruisers who venture into Lake Huron's North Channel via the DeTour passage. It is also not intended to speak poorly about our CBP officers as we have always been treated in a courteous and professional manner when returning from the North Channel. In talking with many other boaters who must clear customs at Drummond Island, the question continues to come up, "Why do we have to go to Drummond Island Yacht Haven, a privately owned enterprise, to clear US Customs when you have to pass right by the DeTour State Harbor which has adequate (and safer) facilities to tie up to"? There is no doubt that for a novice boater unfamiliar with the waters in Potagannissing Bay with all of it's shoals, getting to Drummond to clear customs can be very challenging in good weather but is dangerous to equipment and occupants when weather is bad. Tying up to the barely adequate outside wall at Drummond when the winds are from a Northerly or Westerly direction is not only hard on boats, but dangerous to occupants. Likewise, DeTour Harbor, which is right off the shipping channel, has been recently renovated with plentiful slips for overnight and a means for refueling, pumpout and provisioning (food) as well as several restaurants within a five minute walk from the harbor. If there is politics and cronyism is in play here, which I believe to be the case, then at least a video phone should be provided as an option to boaters who would rather venture on to the better alternative in DeTour rather than going out of their way to go to Drummond. With the billons of dollars our government is spending on border protection, they could surely afford another video phone to be placed in DeTour like the one on Mackinac Island. I often wonder how many boaters skip clearing customs when returning from Canada for one of the reasons listed above. Does anyone else out there have the same concerns? If so, please reply and thank you for your consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I find this to be an interesting post.

For one, I live, work and own a business on the water 25 miles north of Detour and have many customers that come from Canada. It is interesting that most never complain about the customs check in procedures. Many have Nexus cards and this a non-issue for them. Everyone knows the drill and plans accordingly.

Second, I find that any chartplotter worth having, even the Navionics app on a smart phone, makes navigating Potaginnissing Bay pretty straight forward. Granted, I've never had to it in a low visibility situation. But anyone venturing to the North Channel in this day and age will at a minimum have a good set of charts, likely a chart plotter and maybe radar.

Third, I agree. Why is the only customs post on Drummond Island at a private business? I'm guessing this is more about history than anything else. Likely DIYH was the only adequate facility "back in the day"...but I wasn't around back then.

It does bother me when one assumes that there is any sort of ill intent without knowing the facts. Those that own and operate the DIYH are well respected and hard working and have many satisfied customers...even those that just stop to check in with customs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

JohnScott
I and many others NC cruisers share your same views in regards to using DIYH as a customs check in. We used it for checking back in to US waters in 2012 and would agree without a doubt that Detour would be a much better choice if available. From what I understand customs would love to relocate to Detour but the recent renovations needed to be completed to the docks and dredging of the harbor first. If they do relocate customs to Detour the officers would still have to make ferry trips over to Drummond to service the occasional International traffic at the island airport, but it would save them from the multiple ferry trips every day they take now...a big benefit to them.

With all that being said I don't think there has been some kind of political back dealing at play here, I just think DIYH was the better facility for a long time. I will say the staff at DIYH was very nice but we will do whatever possible to avoid that island in the future after our lackluster stay there http://www.boatinglakemichigan.com/2012/08/day-11-spending-time-on-drummond-island.html
After the 2012 trip we made the decision to start towing all the way to Spanish instead of crossing by water so hopefully that was a one time experience.

Awesome to see another North Channel cruiser on the board...there's a small handful of us on here!!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"