www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 am 
Dolphin

Putting out an APB on this model of combination hand rail/ski tow rail.

If anyone has a part # or maker would be great or even shoot me your links.

looks like this

96 sundowner 5.7 vp/sx (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:07 am 
All Night Long

Just contact a Chap dealer and ask them.

Remember, if you go this route - you need to REALLY beef up the mounting areas. IF you can fiberglass metal plate in on the backside, that would be best -- but a couple of washers isn't going to do it for the amount of pressure that gets put on those by towables.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 am 
Whatever

Now that you have a vista, the best way to hook up tow rope is to use a bridal to the transom tow hooks provided by OEM.

The swim deck is too flimsy to attach anything too, and nowhere else to attach this bar you want that has room to put proper backing.

You can buy or even easily make a bridal out of some heavy tow rope and a couple Carabiners to easily hook/unhook to transom hooks.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Airhead-Heavy-Harness/dp/B000FE9C2I

Last edited by powellcrazy on Sun May 23, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 am 
wkearney99

Is that a stern shot of a Formula boat? The v-plane sticker sorta looks like theirs.

Most hardware like that is custom built for the factory by other vendors. But those vendors rarely (like, never) sell directly to the public. So your option for getting that exact one is only going to be through the factory. However, nothing's to keep you have having something similar fabricated by a local shop. They could also fabricate a backing plate setup to appropriately distribute the quite considerable loads.

But, as has been suggested, if you cannot get behind the area to set it up properly then using a bridle DESIGNED FOR THE PURPOSE and the cleats is another option.

A line under load is a VERY dangerous thing. Too many people get maimed or killed when an improperly set up line lets go. A shackle or other fastener pulling loose can turn into a deadly missile, one more than capable of killing someone on impact. Like when pulling too much weight, too fast or whipped in a turn. So be sure you're using only equipment designed for the job and use it strictly within the recommended limits.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:21 pm 
Dolphin

wkearney99 wrote:
Is that a stern shot of a Formula boat? The v-plane sticker sorta looks like theirs.

Most hardware like that is custom built for the factory by other vendors. But those vendors rarely (like, never) sell directly to the public. So your option for getting that exact one is only going to be through the factory. However, nothing's to keep you have having something similar fabricated by a local shop. They could also fabricate a backing plate setup to appropriately distribute the quite considerable loads.

But, as has been suggested, if you cannot get behind the area to set it up properly then using a bridle DESIGNED FOR THE PURPOSE and the cleats is another option.

A line under load is a VERY dangerous thing. Too many people get maimed or killed when an improperly set up line lets go. A shackle or other fastener pulling loose can turn into a deadly missile, one more than capable of killing someone on impact. Like when pulling too much weight, too fast or whipped in a turn. So be sure you're using only equipment designed for the job and use it strictly within the recommended limits.

You think the cleats are a good place to hook up? I took a look at them on the inside and they are reinforced by some sort of wood or fiberglass backing at least 3/4 inch thick.

Would rather hook up there less expensive and less work 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:44 pm 
wkearney99

At the risk of legal liability I wouldn't suggest you do anything.

But it would seem like a good idea that if you do choose to do it that you use equipment sold as being specifically for that purpose. Seeing as how raft makers sell a bridle designed for use on cleats that would certainly seem like a reasonable solution. Part of a proper design with towing materials is knowing the load limits and behaviors of the line material. You don't want to be using the wrong materials (as in, don't make up one of your own). That way if the stress becomes too great then the line (or bridle) can fail in a predictable manner. Like pulling too many people, or having the line catch on something else (another boat, piling, tree, debris, whatever). Better to have the line fail than to have it put so much stress on the cleats and yank them out of the fiberglass.

Most people never run into any trouble, but you don't want to be one of the few situations where things go really, really wrong.

It's also the same reason I never, ever tow another boat. I don't have the proper equipment, nor the right fittings on my boat to do it properly, not to mention having no professional experience. I'll certainly lend a hand in other ways, just no pulling with my boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:04 pm 
Whatever

rolex_26_99 wrote:

You think the cleats are a good place to hook up? I took a look at them on the inside and they are reinforced by some sort of wood or fiberglass backing at least 3/4 inch thick.

Cleats, No!!!

I know of some that have pulled the cleats right out of the boat.
Really the vista was not meant to pull, Yes, some of us to pull with them. But only with proper bridel harness connected to transom tow/tie down hooks provided by Four Winns.

rolex_26_99 wrote:

Then Please goto target and spend $14 and buy the harness / bridel and connect to existing transom hooks

If you really want to know, we bought a tow boat for towing tube, ski, knee board, wake board, ect.... and only use the vista on occasions when the 'tow' boat is not with us. The Vista drinks too much fuel, is heavy, slow, does not create a good wake for water sports..... Vistas were meant to be a cruiser/overnighter, not a tow boat.
Here is our tow boat, 3 person PWC, 160 HP, quiet 4 stroke motor, very fuel efficient. Also makes a great dingy as well. Using Bridel, you can tow dingy. Note, that I do not use the pictured AirHead harness for towing, that was just a photo I found to show as an example.

Good luck, please use common sense/good judgement and tow safe.

Last edited by powellcrazy on Sat May 29, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:13 am 
wkearney99

powellcrazy wrote:
If you really want to know, we bought a tow boat for towing tube, ski, knee board, wake board, ect.... and only use the vista on occasions when the 'tow' boat is not with us. The Vista drinks too much fuel, is heavy, slow, does not create a good wake for water sports..... Vistas were meant to be a cruiser/overnighter, not a tow boat.

This is definitely true. I've pulled behind our 348 and while it's POSSIBLE to do it, the downsides make it pretty much not worth the effort. The fuel consumption is a killer. But so is the maneuverability, or lack thereof compared to a much more nimble, smaller boat. The better technique is to use the Vista as the 'mothership' and invite along someone with a small ski boat.

As for cleats vs tow hooks, our 348 doesn't have two hooks on the stern. I'm guessing that's more common on trailerable boats. So I used what was present.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 am 
Dolphin

powellcrazy wrote:
rolex_26_99 wrote:

Cleats, No!!!

Really the vista was not meant to pull, Yes, some of us to pull with them. But only with proper bridel harness connected to transom tow/tie down hooks provided by Four Winns.

rolex_26_99 wrote:

Then Please goto target and spend $14 and buy the harness / bridel and connect to existing transom hooks

Here is our tow boat, 3 person PWC, 160 HP, quiet 4 stroke motor, very fuel efficient. Also makes a great dingy as well. Using Bridel, you can tow dingy. Note, that I do not use the pictured AirHead harness for towing, that was just a photo I found to show as an example.

Cleats working fine with a airhead bridle with pulley. Did wake and knee board all weekend with no problems.

I don't see the fuel consumption being that much of an issue. Water sports never exceed 2500 rpm, that's the same as cruising speed.

Its not like an extra 20$ will kill anyone. You either have the money to run it or you don't!!!!

If I don't burn my 100$ a day I'm not happy and I can tell you that with the 7.4L i will be happy all summer LOL!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:47 am 
Whatever

Good to hear you have a thick wallet for fuel!!

Enjoy your season!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 am 
Dolphin

powellcrazy wrote:
Good to hear you have a thick wallet for fuel!!

Enjoy your season!

Well unlike some of you luck people I only have about 8 to 8 weekends I can boat with a max total of 30 days combine boating for the season.

A 3000$ fuel budget is more that reasonable compared to other activities.

Not counting other motor sports like skidoo's or seadoo's even camping these days cost you about 100$ a day at the end of your weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:23 am 
email admin your custom rank

rolex_26_99 wrote:
powellcrazy wrote:
rolex_26_99 wrote:

Cleats, No!!!

rolex_26_99 wrote:

Cleats working fine with a airhead bridle with pulley. Did wake and knee board all weekend with no problems.

I don't see the fuel consumption being that much of an issue. Water sports never exceed 2500 rpm, that's the same as cruising speed.

Its not like an extra 20$ will kill anyone. You either have the money to run it or you don't!!!!

If I don't burn my 100$ a day I'm not happy and I can tell you that with the 7.4L i will be happy all summer LOL!!! :lol:

Can you clarify how you connected the bridle to the cleats? most of the bridles I have found have stainless hooks which look to me as being difficlut to hook to a cleat unless you wrap the rope around the cleat and hook to the rope but that doesnt seem secure enough. I only plan on pulling a tube with my vista.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 am 
268 Vista

Quote:
Can you clarify how you connected the bridle to the cleats? most of the bridles I have found have stainless hooks which look to me as being difficlut to hook to a cleat unless you wrap the rope around the cleat and hook to the rope but that doesnt seem secure enough.

It looks pretty straightforward to me. Most cleats on modern boats are either pop-up or standard fare, like this.

Just connect the snap hooks to the center of the cleat so they are able to move from side to side slightly as the tube changes direction. The part of the cleat that is bolted to the boat will prevent the snap hooks from going anywhere. No need to tie to the cleat and hook to the rope. Just snap it on each cleat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

Thanks, I had a complete brain fart and wasnt even thinking about connecting it in the middle of the cleat, I need more coffee!

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:22 am 
Dolphin

Make sure the bridle you get has hooks big enough to fit in the cleat. My first one I bought I had to change. Also make sure you attach as shown in my first photo so your hook gets maximum strength.

As far as using the vista for towing If you are traveling at a cursing speed at around 2500 - 3000 rpm whats the difference if you are towing or not? I never run around in circles when doing water sports. I always incorporate it in our itinerary. As previously mentioned the only down side is the wake that is not that great.